Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is adventure mode a bit....broken?  (Read 2250 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Is adventure mode a bit....broken?
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:42:26 am »

Megabeasts seem to be a bit weak,normal things are just too goddamn easy,anything without a brain or blood is invincible so is it just my version or is adventure mode broken?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Is adventure mode a bit....broken?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:39:20 am »

The new materials/combat/tissues/etc. systems are very new, and not very polished. Doubtless the game will eventually balance out over time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 07:28:05 pm »

Megabeasts seem to be a bit weak,normal things are just too goddamn easy,anything without a brain or blood is invincible so is it just my version or is adventure mode broken?

Have you even met a full grown dragon yet? It takes them a thousand years to reach their full potential.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:24:55 pm »

Or a Bronze Colossus, go find one of those if you haven't. If you ask nicely it'll be your pal.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:31:29 pm »

And the Hydras can actually be considered dangerous now. Sort of.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 02:53:02 pm »

Don't worry, The Great Toad will soon add Adventurer skills (The possibility of DF mode stuff, like chopping wood, buildings houses and butchering animals, in ADV Mode) and our precioussss adventurers won't need to go on killing sprees anymore to have something fun to do. At least not already from the start   :D

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »

Don't worry, The Great Toad will soon add Adventurer skills (The possibility of DF mode stuff, like chopping wood, buildings houses and butchering animals, in ADV Mode) and our precioussss adventurers won't need to go on killing sprees anymore to have something fun to do. At least not already from the start   :D
wait I have mine become a taxi service to royals who want to kill things on their own.
or have 'them' build their dream home and enjoy their diamond encrusted jaquzzi that was installed last month in their manor.
maybe I should mod in butlers slaves that would do the house keeping for the hero.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 05:54:07 am »

I was surprised at the ease of ampersand-killing.  On the first two adventurers that I've tried for a long time now (took a while to remember the keys, without having to look them up every time I needed to find something else out), I found that 2010 ampersands were rampantly bothering both my embarkation sites, despite in each the dwarven halls being dead-end pits without even the mass of "where the heck is that head honcho"-style warren[1], never mind a breach into the underworld.

In the first, though, I did die by getting JLocked by an FB.  Having being successfully wrestling it, but seeminly unable to choke it, I then took a step back, unloaded my crossbow at it, at which point it (heavily damaged, and also being set upon by three or four locals) got me in the J-Lock and from then on I got overexerted, and unable to extract myself.  So resilient enough.

But I'm currently trying to work out why a certain adventurer, having easily defeated four ampersands of various kinds, is now invariably suddenly developing "rotten" body parts "swollen with blood" all over his body template a couple of game-days after the last meaningful combat.  I first noticed this when I suddenly got Intense Pain, leading to losing consciousness and then death (although admitedly that was from drowning after travelling to somewhere with liquid water to try to wash myself off and losing consciousness while in the water...

After rolling back to a prior save, I've narrowed it down to:

a) Frostbite (I'm in a cold clime), given it seems to happen (on repetition of his final hours) immediately/shortly after dawn, when thawed frozen body parts might be expected to exhibit rottenness and blood-swellings,

b) A delayed after-effect from having been spattered with "fiend of cinders boiling extract" during a couple of the battles.,

b2) A delayed after-effect from not having removed the "fiend of cinders frozen extract coating" which the above item had become,

c) A delayed after-effect from having imbibed a dear devil's 'goo' off of myself, this being the only liquid available to me at one point in the frozen climate, my waterskin containing just ice, and I couldn't be bothered to (T)ravel away the thirst.

d) A bug

Interestingly, rolling back to investigate, I notice that while I only apaprently had "frozen extract coating" polluting my inventory, walking back into the snow-line left a trail composed of bodily fluids (and ash) of plains creatures that I'd also killed (taking longer to do, because they tended to run away).  Not sure if their liquids were effectively obscured by the frozen extract.

[1] i.e. the dug-out and smoothed but unfurnished fortress level.  In the first, the bottom of the entrance box (stairwell-surrounded bit) had a slit-ramp down into a single room of no other exits.  In the second, it exited down a further half dozen levels, but no other rooms...  Maybe 2010 allows one to use a pick, or requires that one finds hidden doors...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 08:55:24 am »

In my experience, getting any "forgotten beast frozen extract" or whatever on you is enough to cause you to later come down with some kind of horrible syndrome.  This applies even if you go and wash yourself off in a pond right after being exposed.  It can take a while for this to take effect.  There seems to be no cure.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 09:42:13 am »

In my experience, getting any "forgotten beast frozen extract" or whatever on you is enough to cause you to later come down with some kind of horrible syndrome.  This applies even if you go and wash yourself off in a pond right after being exposed.  It can take a while for this to take effect.  There seems to be no cure.

Your sure about no cure? I thought it goes away after a while, (blob blisters for example)

ON a side note actually cathing it is really hard for me, My charatcer is always wearing armor that protetcs him fromt hat kind of stuff.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:52:52 am »

I was wearing default armour (given a level or two of armour and shield use, as per character setup).  Hadn't even encountered a marmoset before getting coated, and no 'local shops', or inclination to ambush a local.

Still, it sounds like I might be able to Z a bit (in a safe area) if it wears off.  I do now recall there being mention of syndromes and diseases from contact/proximity with things...

Also, maybe it shows that I should be more cautious arround ampersands.  And when I finally get (surviving) victims of such contact when playing a fortress, perhaps more respect for the doctor's skills.

I will also refrain from drinking their bodily fluids.  (Oooer missus)