Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002312 times)

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #705 on: February 29, 2012, 06:16:35 pm »

The ability is showing up on the Charmander's powers when I assume control in the arena, but when I use it, nothing happens. It doesn't seem to automatically use it when put in combat either. Error logs are empty. What silly thing have I done wrong?
USAGE_HINT:ATTACK
TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »

Grr. Of course those have to be mutually exclusive. I'll figure out a workaround, thanks.

Edit: I can come up with some rather awkward solutions... Anyone have an elegant way to make this happen only during combat, but still target the self? The best I can think of is to turn it into a breath weapon that only affects the user. Not pretty, and a lot more legwork.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:21:51 pm by Old Greg »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:27 pm »

Grr. Of course those have to be mutually exclusive. I'll figure out a workaround, thanks.

Edit: I can come up with some rather awkward solutions... Anyone have an elegant way to make this happen only during combat, but still target the self? The best I can think of is to turn it into a breath weapon that only affects the user. Not pretty, and a lot more legwork.

They're not mutually exclusive, I'm pretty sure.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 29, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »

Hm. What's my problem, then?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #709 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:11 pm »

Hm. What's my problem, then?
I guess your having difficulties with Adv. Mode aspect of evolution? My intended thoughts on the evolution was that the creature woulf only function in fortress mode (AI controls the usaged of evolution stage casting) perhaps you need to make a "fake" target? that maybe does something that is not really noticeable for like 1 tick.

Damn my inexperience with interactions

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:14 pm »

Well, it's not for Adv mode necessarily. Throwing chinchillas at it in the arena without me being in control should be a pretty good stand-in for fort mode combat.

Is it possible to link two interactions that have different targets? So that when she uses a normal material_emission ember, it would also set off this?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02:24 pm »

does your interaction need: [I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]???

It's on all the vanilla interactions:

[INTERACTION:CLEANING]
   [I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
   [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
      [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:creature]
   [I_EFFECT:CLEAN]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [IE_GRIME_LEVEL:2]
      [IE_SYNDROME_TAG:SYN_INGESTED]

EDIT:
Please bear with me if I'm wrong this is basically my first time trying my hand at debugging interactions

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 29, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »

That was promising, but unfortunately did not do the trick :/ Really appreciate it though.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:17:55 pm by Old Greg »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 29, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »

Are there any notes/tests that have been done on the results of including a non-intelligent/pet caste within a creature definition? I'm really curious how that works out in worldgen/legends and in fortress mode.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 29, 2012, 09:33:14 pm »

@Old Greg
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The bottom ref material was from: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101264.msg3000472#msg3000472

Why does the interaction have interaction commands jammed into as well?
P.S. I wished I knew more about interactions so I could help better then this nooby crap :(

Are there any notes/tests that have been done on the results of including a non-intelligent/pet caste within a creature definition? I'm really curious how that works out in worldgen/legends and in fortress mode.
I am doing tests of Pets to Dwarf (main race caste) and it is going well. I have almost got it done %100 what do you want to know?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »

You could set two targets.
Target A, and Target B.

Target A would be your regular attack target, and Target B would be yourself.

[CDI:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:B:SELF_ONLY]

and
Code: [Select]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[I_TARGET:B:CREATURE]
 [I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
      [IE_TARGET:B]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
      [SYNDROME]
         [CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:50]
            [CDI:ADV_NAME:Gain a bit more experience]
            [CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
                [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
            [CDI:INTERACTION:CHARMANDER_FEMALE_EVO_B]
            [CDI:VERB:have a glint in your eye:has a glint in your eye:NA]
            [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:1000000000000000]
 [I_EFFECT:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      ...rest of the ember stuff...
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 29, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »

@Hugo: It's how I'm handling the nesting. The creature uses EVO_A, which references the interaction file there. EVO_A causes a syndrome that allows EVO_B to be used, which references the next interaction... etc.

Or at least that's how it should work.

@thatkid: That looks real nice. Obligations are making me take my face off of this computer for a bit, but when I get back I'll give that a whirl.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »

I am doing tests of Pets to Dwarf (main race caste) and it is going well. I have almost got it done %100 what do you want to know?

Well, it seems that unintelligent castes will still take up jobs during worldgen, which is unfortunate.
My other questions:
  • Will unintelligent castes get married?
  • Can unintelligent castes with [PET] be kept as pets by the intelligent caste?
  • Will unintelligent castes perform the sort of labors children do (like harvesting and deconstruction), and can they be assigned labors?
  • Can unintelligent castes be butchered by the intelligent caste during play?

That's it, as far as I can think of at the moment.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 29, 2012, 09:51:42 pm »

If I remember correctly, someone did experiments regarding having a caste be a livestock-like animal that could be butchered a while ago in the old modding workshop thread. They would not be able to form relationships on site, as they lacked the ability to speak, but they could still arrive as a friend of the intelligent caste due to world gen quirkiness. In the situation that this was tested in (0.31.25), this wasn't much of a problem as the only pre-generated relationships were the starting seven being acquainted, but now that we have historical migrants... yeah.
We have the [STERILE] tag now, though, so that could help.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 29, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »

On a completely unrelated note, a dabbling raw crafter could use a bit of advice:

I've been working on some homebrewed additions recently, including a number of additional entity entries. None of them are completely finished, and I want to be able to run some test games to fine tune them, but I've been running into an issue, namely that one of the three completely fails to gen at that stage of worldgen. (The other two do fine. Possibly unrelated: the problem is the only one that isn't [EVIL], [BABYSNATCHER], or [AMBUSHER].)

My initial thought was that it wasn't referencing the creature entry properly due to a typo. I checked, and this was not the case (also, the creature entry itself is a straight copy of the human one, save for slight differences in child age and maxage, as this particular entity is a human variant, so the creature file itself shouldn't be the problem).

My next thought was that the biome preferences and starting biomes wouldn't allow the formation of civlizations, or that all members were starving, so I changed the biomes to match the human ones and added [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to the creature raws, and genned new worlds for each combination of those, to no effect. At this point, I checked the Legends files for each of the test worlds, and found that no individual or civilization for that entity had ever existed.

I fiddled around with [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER] both for the trouble entity and all other entities with no result. I went back through the entire entry looking for typos and found none, and reread the entity modding and entity token sections of magmawiki, to see if I'd missed something, but didn't notice anything.

So basically I'm asking if anyone here knows what could be preventing this entity from genning properly, because I am utterly stumped. (Now watch it be something stupidly simple...)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 544