Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002209 times)

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1350 on: April 19, 2012, 06:35:07 pm »

I've been searching for it so I apologize if it's been brought up before...

I'm trying to add outpost liasons to elves. I'm not sure that's the right term either, I want to be able to settle trade agreements with the elves. Is this possible? Thanks.

EDIT: Is [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] the tag I'm looking for?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:40:44 pm by Conrad »
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 19, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »

About to do some testing on this, but first I thought I'd ask:

Has anyone looked into how/if racial skill bonuses, like NATURAL_SKILL and increased SKILL_RATEs, affect siege distribution? As in, if I were to give male goblins bonuses with swords, and females bonuses with axes, would I see a weighted distribution of axegoblins and swordgoblins when a siege strikes?

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 19, 2012, 11:10:54 pm »

I could have swore I saw a very promising project that promised to make a utility that helped modify RAWs.  However, I cannot find it, and it doesn't appear on the community's list of mods.  What happened to it?  Where did it go?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:49 pm »

Someone mentioned it on the last page of the Community Mods and Utilities thread

EDIT: By mention I mean linked to.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 20, 2012, 05:12:41 am »

Please help me understand reactions!

What I'm trying to do is make the default honeycomb pressing...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...produce a jug full of wax pulp instead of a single glob...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... that gets rendered into cakes in a separate reaction in a custom workshop.

My problem: how do I declare the mash as a product? Can I output two separate products into two separate jugs? I can't even figure out how the default reaction identifies the glob as ever being wax in the first place. As far as I can see, it's just a generic glob of some sort with a "honey bee" flavor prefix and a [PRESSED] tag.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:14:41 am by scamtank »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 20, 2012, 05:13:37 am »

I could have swore I saw a very promising project that promised to make a utility that helped modify RAWs.  However, I cannot find it, and it doesn't appear on the community's list of mods.  What happened to it?  Where did it go?

Use this one to find some errors which your errorlog.txt won't show:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107340.0

Use this one to check missing creature graphics, easier looking through raws etc:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 20, 2012, 05:23:59 am »

I can't even figure out how the default reaction identifies the glob as ever being wax in the first place. As far as I can see, it's just a generic glob of some sort with a "honey bee" flavor prefix
It takes the material from the honeycomb, which is made of wax:
[PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honeycomb:NONE]

Can I output two separate products into two separate jugs?
Yes, just use the appropriate PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER tokens.

My problem: how do I declare the mash as a product?
You just... Put it as a material?

Also :
Code: [Select]

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:RAW_WAX:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
      [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:HONEYCOMB_WAX_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:RAW_WAX]
You make the RAW_WAX to be produced into... RAW_WAX? Why?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 20, 2012, 06:30:55 am »

Quote from: Deon
You make the RAW_WAX to be produced into... RAW_WAX? Why?

I saved sloppy and unfinished work that I didn't really know how to do.

It takes the material from the honeycomb, which is made of wax:
[PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honeycomb:NONE]

So there's the obvious thing that I missed. And here I'd assumed all along that the reaction just took a reagent X and put out products Y and Z (inside empty jug A).

That explains why the raws show wax as the raw material for honey. I was running in circles over how the glob gets identified without any reaction pointers, not to mention where the honey came from.

You just... Put it as a material?

It's not exactly what that answer was about, but does that mean I can sidestep all this GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT fuss and instead of this mess:
[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honeycomb:HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:liquid container]
I can just poof honey into existence with this?
[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:HONEY][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:liquid container]

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 20, 2012, 09:17:11 am »

I've been working away at making the Necromunda plague zombies contagious, but I am having some difficulty concealing the information from the player.  Currently when a zombie bites you and injects its venom, the dwarf will always turn into a zombie and there seems to be no good way to cause uncertainty about this information in the player.  Ideally I would like to give the actual transformation (add tags, name, tile) a %chance to fire and I had thought to do so by giving it a separate venom from the one that gives the fever and other effects, but this simply results in two injection reports in the combat log, no better than before.

I don't believe I can resolve this with interactions, as they also appear to have a fixed chance to operate, and currently the only way I can think of to obfuscate this information from the player is to insert dummy venoms so enough injection reports will appear that the player can not be be certain (unless they get a minimum or maximum number of reports).

Suggestions?  I'd rather not do it this way as it is not at all elegant.

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 20, 2012, 09:23:05 am »

I've been searching for it so I apologize if it's been brought up before...

I'm trying to add outpost liasons to elves. I'm not sure that's the right term either, I want to be able to settle trade agreements with the elves. Is this possible? Thanks.

EDIT: Is [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] the tag I'm looking for?

Look at the entries for [POSITION:OUTPOST_LIASON] and [POSITION:DIPLOMAT] in the dwarf entity.  I believe the entity needs noble or nobles that cover all the responsibilities those two have.  For a quick test just copy those two into the elves.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 20, 2012, 10:48:25 am »

Alright. I started continuing making my dragon-people called Dragos (Not inspired by Greiger in any way. I thought about making them before I found out about the forums.). I'm currently developing the chromatic dragos and metallic dragos. Chromatic dragos will be meaner and metallic dragos will be nicer. Problem is, I know next to nothing about personality modifiers.

I'd also like to know how to toughen their scales up a bit. They bruise pretty easily. I want specifically them to have stronger scales, not anything else.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:15:41 pm by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 20, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »

You might be thinking of the Raw Explorer. It's fairly new, so it just hasn't been added to the community list yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 20, 2012, 02:43:49 pm »

I don't believe I can resolve this with interactions, as they also appear to have a fixed chance to operate, and currently the only way I can think of to obfuscate this information from the player is to insert dummy venoms so enough injection reports will appear that the player can not be be certain (unless they get a minimum or maximum number of reports).

Why use venom at all? Put this under their bite attack definition (replacing ZOMBIE_PLAGUE with whatever infection interaction that you created, of course).

[SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION:ZOMBIE_PLAGUE]
If you don't want a 100% infection rate, you could put the priority for the infectious bite low and maybe have a normal non-infectious bite that looks the same, so you wouldn't be able to tell from the combat reports if your dwarf (or hiver) caught the plague until symptoms started to develop.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 20, 2012, 02:54:56 pm »

About to do some testing on this, but first I thought I'd ask:

Has anyone looked into how/if racial skill bonuses, like NATURAL_SKILL and increased SKILL_RATEs, affect siege distribution? As in, if I were to give male goblins bonuses with swords, and females bonuses with axes, would I see a weighted distribution of axegoblins and swordgoblins when a siege strikes?

Yes, you would.  I've actually abused this in order to create caste-level graphics for a hostile race.

Snippet:

[SELECT_CASTE:CURRANT_MALE]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:CURRANT_FEMALE]
[NATURAL_SKILL:TRAPPING:15]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:TRAPPING:100]
[CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:TRAPPER:sentry:sentries]
[CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:LASHER:scout:scouts]
[CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_LASHER:scout:scouts]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:SNEAK:50]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WHIP:15]
[CREATURE_CLASS:SHEDIM_LESSER]
[SELECT_CASTE:VIBRANT_MALE]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:VIBRANT_FEMALE]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WOODCUTTING:15]
[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:WOODCUTTING:100]
[CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:WOODCUTTER:land clearer:land clearers]
[CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:MACEMAN:shock trooper:shock troops]
[CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_MACEMAN:shock trooper:shock troops]
[CREATURE_CLASS:SHEDIM_LESSER]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MACE:15]

At the beginning of the creature definition, I set certain skill learn rates to zero, then modified them at caste level.  The result is that every lasher that shows up is a currant, and every maceman is a vibrant, etc, allowing me to abuse profession tokens for different graphics on each caste. 

Spoiler: result (click to show/hide)

Now, this is a pretty extreme example, where certain professions were literally forbidden from certain castes, but you could also use the same idea to simply skew a profession in favor of one caste.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:57:22 pm by narhiril »

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 20, 2012, 03:37:50 pm »

Cool. Thanks a bunch, narhiril!

While I'm here, I came up with a teensy little bug. The following ITEMCORPSES aren't working for me, though there's nothing in the errorlog:

[ITEMCORPSE:PLANT_MAT:HIGHWOOD:WOOD]
[ITEMCORPSE:PLANT_MAT:GODSEED_FIRE:STRUCTURAL]
First one references a plant that's in the raws, second references a custom plant that's pretty basic in format. When they die (at least in the arena) they just spawn normal corpses.

Item-related definitions are still one of my modding weak points, I guess. Could someone point out what error I made?
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 544