Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002092 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2490 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »

I think it's [AMBUSHER] that gives that message, unless i'm misremembering, Meph's Automatons give the "an Ambush!  curse friends of nature" but they have    [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:ACCEPTABLE]

ed.  A question too

When trying to apply an effect by boiling stones at a workshop, it seems to be about a 50/50 thing.  Has anyone studied whether dropping multiple 'boiling syndrome stones' greatly increases the chance that it works?  Or tricks with impassable tiles to concentrate the vapors?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:29:31 pm by smakemupagus »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 24, 2012, 03:01:00 pm »

I think it's [AMBUSHER] that gives that message, unless i'm misremembering, Meph's Automatons give the "an Ambush!  curse friends of nature" but they have    [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:ACCEPTABLE]

ed.  A question too

When trying to apply an effect by boiling stones at a workshop, it seems to be about a 50/50 thing.  Has anyone studied whether dropping multiple 'boiling syndrome stones' greatly increases the chance that it works?  Or tricks with impassable tiles to concentrate the vapors?
Multiple ones does increase the chance IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 24, 2012, 03:42:47 pm »

Doing some fast science on this as we speak, since I conveniently have a test fort setup with a DOOM reaction.

OK, I think that myth is busted.  It certainly doesnt 'greatly increase' anything to drop multiple rocks...aside from whatever skill your operator is using that is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next up, impassible workshop tiles:  Not encouraging, data trends did not appear to be any better and gas was observed spreading quite happily through the impassible tiles.

EDIT:  I was pissed I couldnt find a solution to this so I went to bed.  Then I actually woke up and sat bolt upright with one of those inspiration things people have in movies.  Booted the PC, launched DF......yes, this one seems to work!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:32:59 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 24, 2012, 06:18:40 pm »

Well the above testing took a couple of hours, not as fast as I wanted.

I did spot a bug with my mod in the process though, i'll leave it here incase someone can identify it overnight for me :)

I have some custom profession names set up.  I noticed that on the embark screen the skills displayed the correct custom names for only one of my embarking 7.  checking descriptions I noticed it was the 1 male and assumed i'd just defined the profession names at caste level, specifically for the male caste.  Next couple of reclaims of the test fort proved this wrong, sometimes a random dwarf or 2 had the right profession names for picking embark skills, not always same gender, sometimes none of them had them.

I dont have any complex caste structure, male and female only.  Heres the entry for my creature.  Any ideas?   P:S:  Once in the game the profession titles appear to always display correctly, I'll doublecheck that in the morning.  But something is definatly wonky at embark.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:38:14 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2494 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:14 pm »

What about a building design like a maze? I know the boiling stone can move freely, but the dwarf would have to walk through the workshop a bit till he gets out...

Code: [Select]
[DIM:11:11]
[WORK_LOCATION:6:6]
[BLOCK:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[BLOCK:2:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1]
[BLOCK:3:1:0:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:4:1:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:5:1:0:1:0:1:1:1:0:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:6:1:0:1:0:0:0:1:0:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:7:1:0:1:1:1:1:1:0:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:8:1:0:0:0:1:0:0:0:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:9:1:0:0:0:1:0:1:1:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:10:1:0:0:0:1:0:1:0:0:0:1]
[BLOCK:11:1:1:1:1:1:0:1:1:1:1:1]
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 25, 2012, 05:32:53 am »

Nice idea, testing now.  Created a thread for boiling rock science like this, will collate results there.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=115370.0
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

TTFTCUTS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 25, 2012, 06:03:43 pm »

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble with getting a creature's hair to be spinnable - I don't think the problem is in my definition of the hair itself, because all the expected products appear at embark and with the traders. Exactly what determines if hair is spinnable or not in-game?

Is there a length issue or creature size or something? The creature is about cat size, as well as (slowly changed, by testing) a relative hair thickness of 50 and a length at shearing of 3000...

Here are the relevant raw sections:

Material

Body

Shearable (after a [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR] )

Edit: An additional question:

Is there a way to make an attack harder to land than another? I wish to create a finishing move sort of thing which is essentially impossible to hit with unless the target is unconscious (in this case, stomping on the enemy's head or somesuch).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:55:51 pm by TTFTCUTS »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 26, 2012, 03:37:11 am »

Is it actually the spinning itself thats the issue or the shearing?

I noticed the length at which it is considered shearable is 10x that of a vanilla sheep and it grows 20x slower.  Your hair is also 5x thicker.  Infact, all the domestic shearable critters have a tl_hair of relative thickness 10.  I wonder if thats in some way required, would be worth tweaking yours back to see if it helps

It should be that as soon as you set the hair material with the [YARN] tag that it became available for spinning.  Though I notice that in the vanilla RAWs the order of the tags is slightly differant.

Maybe try :

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
      [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HOOF:HOOF_TEMPLATE]
      [SELECT_MATERIAL:HAIR]
         [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:fluff]
         [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:fluff]
         [YARN]

(vanilla critters all declare the hair to be [YARN] after setting state names).

EDIT: could also be interesting to try and put together a custom reaction for spinning it, to see if the regular farmers workshop has some hardcoded issues with your hair.  tags you will want are stuff like [ANY_STRAND_TISSUE] and [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] for the reagent
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:43:31 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

TTFTCUTS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:27 am »

The shearing itself is fine, but the "Spin thread" job cancels citing no usable hair/wool.

I think the [YARN] tag is working where it is, because the thread, cloth etc are all appearing during embark and via traders, but I'll see if that has any relevance. I'll have another play around with the thickness and length too.

Edit: I tried resetting the lengths and thickness to default, removing the additional colour modifier after the shearable section, even renaming all the hair to wool from fluff, and nothing has worked so far - I don't really see why this is happening. There are other mods with similarly sized animals which are shearable (and presumably produce spinnable thread), most notably Genesis with Snow Macaques, so I'm not sure why mine is failing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:10:40 am by TTFTCUTS »

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #2499 on: August 26, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »

What factors affect the rate of fire of a weapon?

For example could crossbows be made slower to reload than bows?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 26, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »

What factors affect the rate of fire of a weapon?

For example could crossbows be made slower to reload than bows?
Right now a lot of this is hardcoded, sadly, as the only way to slow down the fire rate of a weapon is to make the weapon so huge that it encumbers the dwarf holding it. We can control how fast the projectile flies through the air, but the weapon fire rate is locked in stone (or code rather).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 26, 2012, 03:10:10 pm »

Projectile velocity.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2502 on: August 26, 2012, 03:24:15 pm »

The dwarf fires again as soon as the first projectile is gone, so the faster the ammo is flying (see putnams & i2amroys answers) the sooner your dwarf shoots again.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 26, 2012, 06:44:56 pm »

The shearing itself is fine, but the "Spin thread" job cancels citing no usable hair/wool.

Take a look here. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110027.msg3448023#msg3448023

Should be something you can use, maybe if you creature is small it needs longer tiddue length still to be usable, play around, try upping size, if that works then lower it again and try to find a compensator.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #2504 on: August 26, 2012, 07:20:05 pm »

Dang almost everything I want to change turns out to be hardcoded. Thanks guys though for letting me know about them having only one projectile in the air at a time (lol like an old Atari 2600 game) I might be able to twist that into something useful.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 544