Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999397 times)

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4200 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:21 pm »

I just added the pet tag and trainable to something then when I pulled up the game went into the animal menu and set it to be tamed by one of my two trainers but they aren't trying to do anything even though it's the only labor I have on right now. There's plenty of plants to use for food which makes me wonder what's wrong since the creature in question doesn't have carnivore tags.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:33 pm »

Do you have a Kennel?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:43 pm »

Yes, two of them. I plan to make a couple more since I have other dwarves with skill but the two I'm using right now were the highest skill.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: February 21, 2013, 10:30:54 pm »

Yes, two of them. I plan to make a couple more since I have other dwarves with skill but the two I'm using right now were the highest skill.

Did you gen a new world?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: February 21, 2013, 10:34:27 pm »

No I was told I didn't need to since it was just modifying raws that already exist.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:49 pm »

Did you modify the save files or the raws?

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:19 pm »

The save files.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: February 22, 2013, 12:29:55 am »

Did you designate war/hunting training?

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:43 am »

Doesn't it need tamed first to make them war/hunting? And yes, I gave them the trainable token.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:55 am »

@Endarei
A Pern mod will never be complete until Dwarves can ride a Mount like invaders can. I did make that suggestion in the Eternal Suggestion Voting thread. Maybe one day...  :-\

@Endarei
I think I could get you fairly close to the bonding mechanism through interactions (though it would have some problems such as either a dwarf would be able to stop multiple dragons, even those it hadn't bonded with, from suiciding).

I was working on a reply when i2amroy beat me to it and I had to rewrite. And his answers were knowledgeable and clever. However, I do have some suggestions of my own that might solve some issues.

The sexual orientation thing is out the window though, simply because right now dwarves only have two orientations, "male" and "female". You could limit the "Bond" interaction by gender though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you modify vanilla dwarves to give them multiple castes - like how the Genesis mod used to - but have one caste without [MALE] or [FEMALE]? Wouldn't that be like having hetero dwarves (male and female who marry and reproduce) and non-hetero dwarves (genderless who do not)? If you can target an interaction for MALE or FEMALE, then I would imagine you can target for certain castes of dwarves. Obviously, that's a very poor simulation because they're technically genderless. I only mention it as a workaround for game limitations.

Unless I made it some alterverse Pern... [snip] the Dragon/human relationship and dragon names would be, so far as I'm aware, impossible with the game's mechanics.

How to make newly hatched dragons die unless they "bond" right away:

An extremely simple solution might be to give them a rather high GRAZER value, meaning they will normally starve to death. But once a pet has an owner that owner will take care of it, preventing starvation. (See this talk on the wiki.)

However, this assumes that baby animals graze on grass to some degree. Nothing I found on the wiki confirms or denies this. And players I've asked did not know and could only offer a guess. It seems !science! is needed: Someone needs to pen a baby in an area without grass and see if it starves.

Would it be possible to make their ability to breathe fire dependent on consumption of a specific item? I haven't bothered trying yet because it didn't look feasible, but I don't know much about the Interactions yet.
Totally possible. Just have a food item that temporarily allows dragons to use the material breath interaction. It would be incredibly difficult to get the dragons to eat it though, and anybody else could eat it as well for food.

Couldn't it also work by making the dragons grazers and mod or create a type of grass, cave moss, or floor fungus defined in the raws with a plant material containing a SYN_INGESTED syndrome that will only affect Pern dragons that graze on it?

If so, like i2amroy's idea, you'd still need two versions of your Pern dragons, one that does not have fire breath and one that does and have a syndrome to transform into the latter.

A likely issue with depending on a particular grass, though, is the probability that said grass will appear at your embark location or in a given biome. (Which could be adjusted via raws. You might even give this syndrome to multiple grasses or delete several vanilla grasses.) Or, instead, you could give this trait to a cave moss or floor fungus.

On having a dragon adopt a specific human/dwarf and being telepathically bonded:

The dragon is the one who chooses the human to bond with, correct? Then perhaps you should use the [ADOPTS_OWNER] tag, making them similar to cats in how they adopt dwarves? You could keep prospective dwarves (or playable humans) near the dragon (assigned to a pen or chained?) until the dragon adopts one of them. (No cages, though, as they prevent cats from adopting.)

If you are not averse to a bit of scripting in Lua or C++ for DFHack, a custom script could open up a lot more possibilities:

You'd probably want to also give your Pern dragons [TRAINABLE] (equivalent to TRAINABLE_HUNTING and TRAINABLE_WAR). Question: Those tags normally allow it to be assigned to a specific dwarf, but [ADOPTS_OWNER] prevents this. Does that mean [ADOPTS_OWNER] would prevent those tags from working?

Anyway, when a cat adopts a dwarf it follows them around and gives the owner a happy thought. That's sort of like bonding. But Animal trainer "bonding" could take that up a notch:

As animal trainers work with an animal, they may become bonded to it ("formed a bond with an animal training partner"), and this relationship is visible in the dwarf's relationships screen... [snip]... The death of a bonded animal results in a bad thought for the trainer ("has lost an animal training partner to tragedy"), whose exact severity is unknown but fairly significant.

Again, this assumes [TRAINABLE] still works with [ADOPTS_OWNER]. But, depending on the severity of that bad thought from the loss and possible accumulation of other bad thoughts, it's possible for this to trigger the trainer/owner to tantrum or go insane.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:52:07 am by Thundercraft »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: February 22, 2013, 12:57:20 am »

Doesn't it need tamed first to make them war/hunting? And yes, I gave them the trainable token.

If you don't have it tamed yet, then it will be difficult to do at first do to the fact that your civ has no knowlage on how to tame that animal.

Maybe try again, without designating a specific one, and see if that works?

Have you designated a training area?

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: February 22, 2013, 01:19:21 am »

Yes I have a training area, it's where my kennels set. When I go into the animal menu with z and hit t to select a trainer after doing so it goes from Critter Name, stray creature (tame) to Creature Name, stray.
----
Should I add the fanciful tag back on? Or switch the pet to pet exotic? I'm running out of ideas to try.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:08:43 am by zlurker »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: February 22, 2013, 01:31:16 am »

You could set the firestone as a specific food of dragons, ensuring that the dragons get fed exclusively that, much like pandas have for bamboo in their raws.

Also, no need for the syndrome to transform them into another caste/species of dragon, just have the temporary syndrome give them [CAN_DO_INTERACTION] with START and END values.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4213 on: February 22, 2013, 02:19:21 pm »

Yes I have a training area, it's where my kennels set. When I go into the animal menu with z and hit t to select a trainer after doing so it goes from Critter Name, stray creature (tame) to Creature Name, stray.
----
Should I add the fanciful tag back on? Or switch the pet to pet exotic? I'm running out of ideas to try.

So you have a Kennel
You designated a zone for "Animal Training (t)"
do you have said creatures pastured, caged in that zone?

Ogamaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: February 22, 2013, 02:34:56 pm »

is there any way to use a variable reagent quantity on multiple reagents like in cooking?

edit: I mean like 8 reagent A + 4 B makes 12 product and 7 A + 43 B makes 50 product
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:37:38 pm by Ogamaga »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 544