Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002493 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6585 on: November 20, 2013, 07:12:45 pm »

Question, I assume it's impossible to have certain foods slowly train stats? The only way I could think of it was syndromes, but I'm pretty sure a food can't impart more then a single syndrome, and when that syndrome is active, it doesn't stack with itself.

Actually...I just thought of a way that might work.
Give a food 100 separate syndromes, each one which has a 1% chance of multiplying a given stat by 101%.  (Or different numbers, depending on how you want it to work).  After a single eating, chances are good that one syndrome will take effect, the others will have no effect and will therefore not be stored.  After a second eating, you'll probably have another syndrome take effect, which probably won't be the same one as the first, so they won't cancel each other out.  And so on.  Not every eating will definately raise the stat (as more syndromes take effect, the probability of the stat being raised further will drop) but it's functionally similar.

Sounds like an interesting and creative solution. But if this can "inflict" a dwarf with up to 100 separate syndromes, with possibly numerous dwarves so affected, wouldn't the extra tracking for all those syndromes noticeably impact the FPS (especially on older machines)?

I recall reading about how Forgotten Beast syndromes being spread around could impact FPS and that's just one syndrome.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: November 20, 2013, 08:38:30 pm »

Is it possible to make an Interaction that transforms a corpse into a friendly creature of a specific creature/caste?

I'm not certain if reanimation or resurrection would be more likely to work, though I'm leaning towards reanimation followed by a transformation effect. Would that work?

Resurrected creatures will retain the same loyalties they had upon death, so if an invader or some other nuisance is resurrected, they will still be hostile.

You can transform a reanimated creature into any other creature like normal, but the creature will still be [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]. The only advice I can think of would be to make the interaction remove the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tag, but I'm not certain as to whether that would work.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: November 20, 2013, 08:42:58 pm »

Resurrected creatures will retain the same loyalties they had upon death, so if an invader or some other nuisance is resurrected, they will still be hostile.

You can transform a reanimated creature into any other creature like normal, but the creature will still be [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]. The only advice I can think of would be to make the interaction remove the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tag, but I'm not certain as to whether that would work.

Isn't [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] unnecessary when reanimating? Perhaps if I make an interaction that reanimates but doesn't give OtL to the creature and also applies a transformation effect at the same time.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:15 pm »

Please note that if you plug this into your game as-is, it will throw you an enormous errorlog because you're missing all of my templates and detail plans.

Yup, happened once when I misspelled a material used in a template and everything went to s*it. I had a 'fun' time going through the files..

Anyway, thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:52 am »

LIQUID_GLOB?

Tried, but it still says spinning obsidian or gabbro, not spinning molten obsidian or gabbro or whatever. Though I heard that there was a bug with the tag in that its not actually liquid since the magma crab is supposed to spit liquid globs but it doesn't actually spit molten basalt.

Anybody know anything about this? I kind of wanted the ability to spit magma, but I guess I can settle for spitting obsidian anyway.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: November 21, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »

LIQUID_GLOB?

Tried, but it still says spinning obsidian or gabbro, not spinning molten obsidian or gabbro or whatever. Though I heard that there was a bug with the tag in that its not actually liquid since the magma crab is supposed to spit liquid globs but it doesn't actually spit molten basalt.

Anybody know anything about this? I kind of wanted the ability to spit magma, but I guess I can settle for spitting obsidian anyway.

Known bug.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: November 21, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »

Not sure if this is the right place to put this; but how do you make custom tiles for mods?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: November 21, 2013, 02:24:46 pm »

LIQUID_GLOB?

Known bug.

Okay, I had heard of the bug myself and just wanted to be sure that it was the bug or something else.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: November 21, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »

Not sure if this is the right place to put this; but how do you make custom tiles for mods?

I actually can't find how to make a graphics/tileset mod on the wiki. Unless I missed it somewhere.

But in your Dwarf Fortress raws, there will be a folder called graphics. This folder will hold both the images used for the mod, and the text files that apply the images.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about some of the tags. I'd recommend looking through tileset mods to try and get a sense of how to build one. Or wait until someone more knowledgeable can give a proper explanation of what to do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: November 21, 2013, 02:32:45 pm »

There's an example file in vanilla DF.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6595 on: November 21, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »

LIQUID_GLOB?

LIQUID_GLOB is basically the same as solid, but uses the liquid density for impact damage calculation.  If you want to spit magma, use TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW, which will burn up targets rather nicely.  You can also attach an injection effect to a physical attack and have it 'inject' liquid rock to make magma punches (the magma won't actually be injected, but it will splatter over the target on impact).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: November 21, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »

I did check out the trailing vapor flow, but it doesn't have any range, or rather I thought it would be like a projectile with trailing vapor flow.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: November 24, 2013, 12:34:12 am »

Question to anybody that has done spouse converter creatures, while I've got it working and it says so in the legends, each time the dragon converts a creature, it's always the sex of the abductor, so instead of male/female pairs, I keep ending up with male/male or female/female pairs. They ARE breeding though, but it's just the usual 'mate with whichever of the opposite sex you come across'.

I am now attempting to use a hermaphroditic caste.
   [CASTE:CONVERTEDSPOUSE]
   [CONVERTED_SPOUSE]
   [MALE]
   [FEMALE]
      [LAYS_EGGS]
      [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL:SOLID]
      [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_WHITE:LIQUID]
      [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]            

[EGG_SIZE:6100]
      [CLUTCH_SIZE:1:3]

Edit: Okay, no, that just breaks the converted spouse thing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:40:35 am by smjjames »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: November 24, 2013, 01:53:58 am »

Hermaphrodites are impossible; the latter sex tag overwrites the former.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: November 24, 2013, 09:14:15 am »

It broke the spouse converter tag anyway.

Anybody know how to get them to properly get a correct gender spouse? Obviously it works for regular night creatures.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 544