Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3751366 times)

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4905 on: January 07, 2013, 01:39:21 am »

Wow. Sound like this release is setting the ground work for thinks like was of succession and other interesting things to come. Yay!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: January 07, 2013, 03:08:00 am »

Yea. It seems like we're really getting close to see if Dwarf Fortress is actually viable, or have been a fantastic experiment for the last several years.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: January 07, 2013, 06:26:55 am »

So if there are multiple people vying for power, will each one have an influence with parts of their population? Will the religious sects or other groups eventually start trying to take power? It'd be cool to see a Theocracy or something sprout up.   

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: January 07, 2013, 07:52:00 am »

So if there are multiple people vying for power, will each one have an influence with parts of their population? Will the religious sects or other groups eventually start trying to take power? It'd be cool to see a Theocracy or something sprout up.   
We already have vampire cultists, so it's probably not an unreasonable thing to expect.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #4909 on: January 07, 2013, 11:11:27 am »

I understand in later updates the true succession system will be fleshed out and extensive, but...

With the upcoming update, say three Barons/Counts/Dudes are vying for power, and in adventure mode I Butcher two "Convince them to revoke their claims" via my axe, will the 3rd account for this and take power? Or will the dead leaders' sons/daughters/Wives/demon-spawn take over the claims and carry them on?
I’m asking how it will be for this coming update by the way, not in the "Nobles update". I'm just being nosey really :)
Thanks, great game and love it to little wet meaty chunks bits :D

**Edit** Thanks Mr.Wiggles :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:58:05 pm by Eggman360 »
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:23 am »

I understand in later updates the true succession system will be fleshed out and extensive, but...

With the upcoming update, say three Barons/Counts/Dudes are vying for power, and in adventure mode I Butcher two "Convince them to revoke their claims" via my axe, will the 3rd account for this and take power? Or will the dead leaders' sons/daughters/Wives/demon-spawn take over the claims and carry them on?

I’m asking how it will be for this coming update by the way, not in the "Nobles update". I'm just being nosey really :)
Thanks, great game and love it to little wet meaty chunks bits :D
If this is a meant for ToadyOne, then you'll need to mark it in limegreen, or just green, so he'll pick it up.

But if I understand your question correctly. You're asking if positions once vacant, will be filled? I think the last dev post, says yes, they will be filled. I think the positions have tags on them, to denote if their inheritable or not.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »

Quote from: Toady
It'll recognize when succession is necessary and try to schedule things effectively, and I set up a claim system so that there can theoretically be more than one person that says that they hold a given civilization's position (three dwarven counts vying for an open monarch position, for example). Competing claims don't have a resolution yet, and I need to work out appointment lists properly.
From this it would seem the the claim system is not complete, so resolution of several claimings is not determined just yet. I guess it could be at random (I would start with that at first if I where programing the game), but maybe we will end up with some fancy mechanic to determinate it, like competitions, assassination attempts (great quests for an adventurer I guess) and even civil war?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #4912 on: January 07, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »

Will any of the position succession stuff that you are working on allow for things like the assigning an office to the position (such as mayor) instead of an individual dwarf?
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:59 pm »

The claims thing sounds awesome! We can always use a new reason for wars to happen (even if that likely won't be in right away).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4914 on: January 07, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »

I can't wait till i get quest from Kivish to assassinate Urist which is his competition for manager job.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: January 07, 2013, 03:29:47 pm »

Dwarf Hoffa anyone?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:29 pm »

Quote from: Toady
It'll recognize when succession is necessary and try to schedule things effectively, and I set up a claim system so that there can theoretically be more than one person that says that they hold a given civilization's position (three dwarven counts vying for an open monarch position, for example). Competing claims don't have a resolution yet, and I need to work out appointment lists properly.
From this it would seem the the claim system is not complete, so resolution of several claimings is not determined just yet. I guess it could be at random (I would start with that at first if I where programing the game), but maybe we will end up with some fancy mechanic to determinate it, like competitions, assassination attempts (great quests for an adventurer I guess) and even civil war?
You seem to be assuming/jumping the gun a bit here, that ToadyOne is done with the Succession system. He probably just giving us a normal dev post, of where he is, and whats been done.

Will any of the position succession stuff that you are working on allow for things like the assigning an office to the position (such as mayor) instead of an individual dwarf?
The succession stuff ToadyOne is talking about, is the world progression during play. While this will have some affects for fort mode, he hasnt made any indication that this (room designation) was changed, or that room designation in general are being reworked. I would also hammer a guess that room designation and world progression during play, are not related to each other.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: January 07, 2013, 03:51:23 pm »

In fact I said so:
Quote from: me
From this it would seem the the claim system is not complete, so resolution of several claimings is not determined just yet.

From there I went on a bit of yes, supposing and jumping the gun. I guess Toady is going to make something that awesome when he gets there. :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:53:02 pm by LordBaal »

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: January 07, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I probably need to further specify some of the positions in the raws as well, since we don't want things like bookkeepers in every hill dwarf site.
Ok... I realize people have already kinda pointed this out... and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn this into a question... and I can't help myself anyway...

!!I thought bookkeeper was the one official every dwarf settlement needs!!
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: January 07, 2013, 08:31:06 pm »

Every FORTRESS needs a bookkeeper. "Hill dwarf" refers to dwarves living out in the country, but generally in the vicinity of a fortress (as opposed to the fortress itself). Dwarven suburbs, if you will. They generally won't need bookkeepers, it seems.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 748