Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3750655 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7020 on: July 07, 2013, 03:48:27 am »

Kind of, probably, but I wouldn't count on it working well. I believe vermin reactions are still sort of bugged, and I would expect vermin breaths to be similarly bugged. And as Toady mentioned, item breaths are still temperature only, and don't do item-based damage (I was hoping for manticores and other critters to become possible, but that'll have to wait).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: July 07, 2013, 03:57:34 am »

Yes, bee-breath, sort of.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: July 07, 2013, 05:29:38 am »

Now (July 7th development update) that plant growths, including leaves, are in as items, is adding fodder feeding to grazers imminent or still Planned-But-No-Timeline?

Since leaves would make sense as animal fodder, and at least I can't think of what else leaves would be used for. Maybe ash, at most.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: July 07, 2013, 05:34:13 am »

Now (July 7th development update) that plant growths, including leaves, are in as items, is adding fodder feeding to grazers imminent or still Planned-But-No-Timeline?

Since leaves would make sense as animal fodder, and at least I can't think of what else leaves would be used for. Maybe ash, at most.
Those things aren't related, on a technical level. The objects from the breath clouds are similar to Splatter , then actual objects. They can't be gathered or turn into other food. So when tree Breath Clouds falling Leaves, these leaves Splatter on the ground, and grow like dirt, or blood, like any other splatter.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: July 07, 2013, 07:17:20 am »

How long (in years/releases) do you think it will take till we see some sort of player-controlled magic system? Not necessarily spellcasting, it could be runes, alchemy, artifact magic (I suppose this one is most likely?) or something else. How deep, convoluted and random will it be?
Sorry for yet another "wen will u maek this plz" question, but I found myself dreaming about magic in DF more and more often in the past months. I could say I can hardly wait, but it's not like I have any choice. Eh, maybe I'll learn assembly and mod something magical in, who knows.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:38:25 am by Tomsod »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: July 07, 2013, 07:38:56 am »

Those things aren't related, on a technical level. The objects from the breath clouds are similar to Splatter , then actual objects. They can't be gathered or turn into other food. So when tree Breath Clouds falling Leaves, these leaves Splatter on the ground, and grow like dirt, or blood, like any other splatter.
Perhaps they could decompose at some future point... Soil? But yes, it looks like its just for show right now.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: July 07, 2013, 08:06:06 am »

Are we going to have designs for all the other underground trees, such as the tunnel tubes and blood thorns? Those don't seem to grow like normal mushrooms.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: July 07, 2013, 08:07:14 am »

How long (in years/releases) do you think it will take till we see some sort of player-controlled magic system? Not necessarily spellcasting, it could be runes, alchemy, artifact magic or something else. How deep, convoluted and random will it be?
Sorry for yet another "wen will u maek this plz" question, but I found myself dreaming about magic in DF more and more often in the past months. I could say I can hardly wait, but it's not like I have any choice. Eh, maybe I'll learn assembler and mod something magical in, who knows.
A "proper" magic system has always been said to be a post version 1 release. So, 15-20 years?
Beyond that, ToadyOne has spoken about other planes of existence, and magical items or magical like items.

Its also not written in Assembly.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: July 07, 2013, 08:49:37 am »

A "proper" magic system has always been said to be a post version 1 release. So, 15-20 years?
Beyond that, ToadyOne has spoken about other planes of existence, and magical items or magical like items.

Its also not written in Assembly.
Well, that's disappointing. Guess I can forget about teleporting spines for a time being. But we may at least hope for magical artifacts, right?
And about modding, as I understood you can only do so much with the raws, and to implement more than fireballs & ice breath one'll have to reverse-engineer the program itself, and that has something to do with assembler as I vaguely surmise.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: July 07, 2013, 09:52:25 am »

How long (in years/releases) do you think it will take till we see some sort of player-controlled magic system? Not necessarily spellcasting, it could be runes, alchemy, artifact magic (I suppose this one is most likely?) or something else. How deep, convoluted and random will it be?
Sorry for yet another "wen will u maek this plz" question, but I found myself dreaming about magic in DF more and more often in the past months. I could say I can hardly wait, but it's not like I have any choice. Eh, maybe I'll learn assembly and mod something magical in, who knows.
"As always, no timeline."

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: July 07, 2013, 09:58:33 am »

IIrc the trees dont "breath" itemclouds but still release them. Having itemclouds for breath-attacks just a random idea someone posted toady took up (Yay Thanks! You are awesome toady!). I hope itemclouds get to the point where they get more itemy though. Being able to pick up shards, leaves or being sandblasted sounds glorious to me.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: July 07, 2013, 10:10:54 am »

Are we going to have designs for all the other underground trees, such as the tunnel tubes and blood thorns? Those don't seem to grow like normal mushrooms.
It would be rather odd if we didn't. Blood thorns at least I think should be able to use relatively normal tree growth parameters. Tunnel tubes might need something else.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: July 07, 2013, 12:43:02 pm »

Do fallen leaves/fruit deteriorate over time in dwarf mode or will we need to have a seasonal leaf cleanup crew to keep courtyards clean?

Will fallen leaves be flammable? If so will they burn as if they were items or more like how grass currently burns?
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: July 07, 2013, 01:13:27 pm »

Do fallen leaves/fruit deteriorate over time in dwarf mode or will we need to have a seasonal leaf cleanup crew to keep courtyards clean?

Will fallen leaves be flammable? If so will they burn as if they were items or more like how grass currently burns?

Fallen leaves vanish in spring, so they exist for autumn and winter. Presumably similar time spans exist for other (perishable?) item spatter.

Quote from: Chthonic
How long does leaf-clutter last on the ground?  I'm a little OCD about fortress cleanliness and contaminants (the cleaning bug drives me crazy right now)--will dwarves get rakes?

I'm not sure I'll ever have rakes for dwarves...  tending to the cleanliness of the outdoors seems very out of character.  The leaf litter clears up in spring after it falls through autumn and sits in winter right now.

We don't know quite how fire and the new trees and their products work yet. Toady will probably start with that in the next few days, and the item spatter should be tested with that as well. We'll probably hear about it then.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: July 07, 2013, 02:17:06 pm »

The falling fruit strikes Urist McNewton in the head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain.
Urist McNewton cancels: Sleep under the tree
Urist McNewton has been shot and killed

Remember kids. Trees are the foul spawns of everything evil and elven and must be slaughtered with axes before they get a chance to strike back!
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 748