Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 287272 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #540 on: April 10, 2013, 04:42:33 pm »

Ok, so I'm playing with that necromancer world vjek posted about from the wiki, and I've been trying to at least get a few elven sites to generate. The map is set to only generate flat lands, with no forests or other regions really.

My question is: what parameters affect the generation of forests? I tried the region counts, min/max counts, and such, but I honestly have no clue what else could be affecting it, unless I need to change the rain/temperature/something else settings around.

Anyone know what to change? I appreciate the help.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 10, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »

I recall it being a combo of mid elevation, high drainage, and high rainfall, so tweak those.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 11, 2013, 05:38:49 pm »

I recall it being a combo of mid elevation, high drainage, and high rainfall, so tweak those.

Sweet, thanks. Got a map to gen that had a few forests, but elves are a little too weak to survive worldgen I guess. A few worlds have them a few don't, just depends on lucky good biomes spawning on forests.

Found a decent little spot; two towers in range, no elves but the site itself has fire clay, marble, limonite, cassiterite, native gold, garnerite, tetrahedrite, sphalerite, native copper, galena, 6 bismuthinite, 2k candy, gypsum and kaolinite.

Located on a river, zombie ravens tend to invade relatively early and can cause some issues, the area reanimates all dead and rains elf blood.

World Gen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:23 pm »

Does anyone have an embark with colored diamonds and rock crystal in reasonable quantity, preferably near the surface?   Or even just colored diamonds - I've found light yellow and faint yellow diamonds in 34.11, but I've yet to see any colored ones (other than imports, obviously).

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:27 am »

I'm looking for something that may or may not be a challenge.  Here is what I'm looking for:

- River/Brook
- Volcano/Pool near the surface
- Pit exposed to the surface
- Shallow and Deep metals
- Sand (underground is fine, that's typically how I find it anyway)
- Not evil
- Medium to low savagery

Embark size doesn't really matter as long as it isn't gigantic.

Can I get an embark?
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 15, 2013, 09:02:17 am »

I'm not sure what this means?  But that aside, this embark meets your criteria, as does this one.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 16, 2013, 02:22:30 pm »

I'm not sure what this means?  But that aside, this embark meets your criteria, as does this one.

I've been playing with the first one quite a bit, but I would like a similar embark with a round chasm that goes entirely through the map's Z-levels. I would like to build a fort with the pit as the central pillar that everything is built around.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 16, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »

I've been playing with the first one quite a bit, but I would like a similar embark with a round chasm that goes entirely through the map's Z-levels. I would like to build a fort with the pit as the central pillar that everything is built around.
Chasms are very rare, if they even exist in this version.  I've never seen one myself.
If you look up about four or five posts, I posted something I found out about worldgen parameters that gives you a lot of volcanos near rivers.  That might be a good place to start.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 16, 2013, 03:22:56 pm »

You are probably going to have to dig your own chasm. Takes a while, but it isn't too difficult.

Apilem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 16, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »

Hey guys. Could you please suggest a world-gen with good ocean biome. Spent hours to find one on random gen and playing with edit brought no good.
Thanks in advance.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 16, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »

Hey guys. Could you please suggest a world-gen with good ocean biome. Spent hours to find one on random gen and playing with edit brought no good.
Thanks in advance.
Apilem,
Do you mean something like... beachfront ocean with Good (as in feather trees/sun berry) biome adjacent in the same embark?  Any other preferences regarding savagery, embark size, elevation (flat, non-flat) temperature, etc?

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 16, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »

Favor low elevation in the elevation weighted range. Low elevation actually means under water. Then raise the min number of partial/full map edges that have ocean. (Minimum Complete/Partial Edge Oceans)

To get more "good" locations, raise the Desired Good/Evil Square Counts to favor good. AFAIK this is the only setting that affects alignment of biomes. Savagery is different.

Apilem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 16, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »

Vjek, Mobucks,
Overall, I am looking for the mermaids. And on wiki i saw a term "good ocean", where they exist.
So I think I got something. More playing with gen and now I got ocean with good savagery.

Got it. Thanks.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:02 pm »

gotcha.

Ok, well, I presumed as much, and did this.  I know you've got something already, but maybe this will be an option if you want to try some variety (you can just remove the seeds to get some more similar worlds):

It produces world(s) that look like this, or similar (with different seeds):
Spoiler: world_screenshot (click to show/hide)

Apilem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 16, 2013, 06:09:28 pm »

vjek,
Thanks! Helped a lot with the understanding of procedure.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 62