Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286320 times)

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #615 on: May 18, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »

I have read thru the thread and I was wondering someone could clarify what settings specifically they are using to get flat volcanoes near Rivers. Since no mater what i try with elevation and erosion, i can't seem to get any flat volcanoes or ones flat land near by. I only get ones with cliffs on all sides extending out at least 7 squares from the volcano.
Thanks

I work from the "region" params in the world gen txt file.

With 200+ volcanos and without altering the elevation or erosion I can usually get at least one of those per gen.
The embark elevation map can be misleading, you might get an area with all 0s except the volcano area which will show as maximum but on embarking the whole area will be flat. It is a case of getting used to it really, once you've done it a few times you will know what you are looking for.

I find that most with elevations between 1 and 9 will not be flat but there are exceptions.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 18, 2013, 07:29:53 pm »

I was wondering what would be the items you'd want to filter by? I'm trying not to add *too* many fields as it becomes a chore to fill in when you upload a world. The details page for each world can show the prospect output and other descriptive text you can type in. I'd like to keep the filterable page to fields where it's either true or false or you can choose the item from a dropdown. e.g. has volcano, or site has River/Brook/None.

Make sure to include an N/A or 'any' option for each field.
Probably best to have options for iron, flux, other weapons grade metals (copper or silver), Other valuable metals (platinum, gold or silver), savagery, evil, temperature and terrain (probably options like "completely flat", "mostly flat", "hill/mountain side", "valley" or "shear cliff")

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 19, 2013, 03:58:22 am »

Standard requests are usually covered by:

Metal: weapons-grade / iron / precious metals / precious metals and weapons grade / precious metals and iron / NA
Stone: Flux / Magma-safe / Obsidian / NA

Temperature: Extra cold / cold / temperate / hot / extra hot / NA
Ice: Year round / Thaws in Summer / Thaws in Spring and Summer / Thaws in Spring, Summer and Autumn / Never / NA
Savagery: Savage / Neutral / Tame / Mixed / NA
Evil : Evil / Neutral / Good / Mixed / NA

Magma level: Magma sea / Above Magma sea / Flat volcano / Any volcano / No magma / NA
Water level: Ocean side / Lake / Large river(s) / Brook(s) / Waterfall / Ponds / No water / NA
Aquifers: Yes / No / Less than Z levels deep / Doesn't cover all of the map / NA
Soft earth: Sand / Clay / Soil / Mixed / No soil / NA

Edit: Neighbors (tickboxes) : Dwarves / Dwarves are extinct / Elves / Humans / Goblins / Kobolds / Tower(s) / NA
Diplomacy: At war with Elves / Humans / Goblins / Kobolds; At peace with Elves / Humans / Goblins / Kobolds ; NA.
/Edit
Curses : Reanimating Biome / Husks / Others / Not Reanimating / Mixed / None / NA
Size (3x3, 2x4 etc): Less than X / More than X / Less than Y / More than Y / Area smaller than Z / NA
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:26:26 am by Fluoman »
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Havvy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 19, 2013, 07:08:26 am »

Pushing the boundaries of Worldgen Science, I present...

A 2x2 , 34.11 vanilla embark with the following features:

100% Flat embark
A Volcano on the surface
A Brook
Clay
Sand

12k Tetrahedrite (copper/silver)
11k Gold
7k Galena (lead/silver)
5k Candy (two spires)
4k Garnierite (nickel)
1k Hematite (iron), plus Limonite too.
28k Marble (flux)
3k Silver
2k Sphalerite (zinc)
1k Cassiterite (tin)
1k Copper
800+ Bituminous Coal
700+ Lignite
and of course, 3 Caverns

The embark is split half Temperate Savanna and half Temperate Grassland.
Civilized World Population

317 Dwarves
   465 Humans
   874 Elves
   10128 Goblins

Total: 11784

Spoiler: prospect (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: worldgen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: embark location (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: embark screenshot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: world screenshot (click to show/hide)

I get the volcano a few squares away from the river and not flat. I'm using v0.34.11. No world changing mods. It's otherwise a very similar world. Am I doing something wrong?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:21 am »

... I get the volcano a few squares away from the river and not flat. I'm using v0.34.11. No world changing mods. It's otherwise a very similar world. Am I doing something wrong?
I just downloaded a brand new 34.11, installed it, copied the worldgen into worldgen.txt, generated it, and embarked on it as described.  Completely flat, and identical to the embark screenshot.

Any chance you're using the Lazy Newb Pack, or any other launchers for 34.11, Havvy?  I don't think this should matter, but are you on Linux or Mac?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 19, 2013, 10:14:42 am »

The LNP doesn't change the results of world gen. I've used gens many times and never did I get anything different from advertised.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Vita

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 19, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »

Further tweaking adding more savagery as well as some more good/evil zones. Hopefully closer to getting cliff faces next to lowlands, my intention is to get a flat forested area (preferably Joyous Wilds) with a Steep cliff/volcano (preferably evil) and a river. i am getting closer though it will take a while.

I'm posting this one because it might have some interest to some of you. It contains 4 biomes, 2 Heavy forest  and a woodland, all flat and Untamed wilds with the volcano area being terrifying. The top right has a volcano as well as two rock spires (see pic) which could be useful for Dwarfing and hollowing out. In the bottom right corner there is a river (currently frozen).

It has a good and varied selection of rocks, Dolomite, Marble and Obsidian are of note. It has a very wide range of ores but strangely none of the blue stuff (moving the embark a little may fix that thoough), there is iron but only around 3k of it in the 4x4 but that is more than enough.

Heres the gumph, on this map there are areas where good and bad meet but no areas with volcanos and rivers.

Embark location (lower left)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark piccy

Ores

Parameters

No matter what I do I just can't seem to replicate your results here. Am I missing something obvious? I'm running the most recent version of vanilla by the by. If anyone else can replicate this a world download link would be sweet.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 19, 2013, 02:29:43 pm »

I've found in the past that having different graphics sets can alter the gens slightly which is why I upload generated maps to dffd.

This was in an older version where a volcano was appearing in a different place for some while not for others.

Havvy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 19, 2013, 02:52:23 pm »

I'm using the Linux Phoebus pre-install, but that /should/ just be a texture pack with no world gen modifications. I'll try with a completely vanilla install, and report results.

Edit: I genned it in a completely new vanilla dwarf fortress (with ascii and everything), and then ported the region to my actual df directory (with tilesets). There was no difference in generation.

If anybody could upload the generation, I'd be happy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:14:51 pm by Havvy »

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 19, 2013, 07:20:36 pm »

Vita: oh bugger there is no seed. :(
I've been looking through and cannot find it so it looks like it is doomed.
I'll be uploading every gen I post from now on.

Sorry about that, how embarrassing.  :-[

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 19, 2013, 10:42:29 pm »

I'm using the Linux Phoebus pre-install, but that /should/ just be a texture pack with no world gen modifications. I'll try with a completely vanilla install, and report results.

Edit: I genned it in a completely new vanilla dwarf fortress (with ascii and everything), and then ported the region to my actual df directory (with tilesets). There was no difference in generation.

If anybody could upload the generation, I'd be happy.

Well both of us can't be doing it the same way and get different results. :)  Is there any chance you're not picking the right location?  I know the world has several locations that look similar...?  I'm happy to upload the world as gen'd, but it would be a bad precedent if we don't know what's causing the disparity.

EDIT: Ok, tried this on Linux and it creates the world you're seeing.  Apparently there is a difference based on platform?  To be clear, same worldgen, same version (vanilla 34.11), Windows for one and Linux for the other and slightly different worlds are generated.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:24:28 pm by vjek »

Havvy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 20, 2013, 05:12:44 am »

I don't have a non-Linux computer to test this with, sorry. I know for a fact I'm looking at the right location. I've got that section of the map memorized better than I do my own city of residence. It is weird that we are having slightly different generations. I would expect larger variations myself.

-----

I was wondering what would be the items you'd want to filter by? I'm trying not to add *too* many fields as it becomes a chore to fill in when you upload a world. The details page for each world can show the prospect output and other descriptive text you can type in. I'd like to keep the filterable page to fields where it's either true or false or you can choose the item from a dropdown. e.g. has volcano, or site has River/Brook/None.

There are two kinds of world gens:  Specific world gens, focused on a single embark site and General world gens, giving more freeform. Some options work for both, but there are ones that are specific to each other. Make sure not to lump both of them together.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 20, 2013, 06:01:13 am »

There you go Havvy.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7678

It has Phobos gfx because that is what I use but you can just switch out the raw folder and copy yours in.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:59:38 am by Sir Crashalot »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 20, 2013, 09:58:10 am »

I'm looking for an EVIL volcano embark with huskifying/thrallifying weather.

Must have:
- volcano
- husk/thrall cloud or fog
- goblin, elf, & human neighbors

Some of the things I'd like to see (you don't have to hit all points):

- NO evil rain (i just don't like the way it makes the landscape look)
- live sliver barbs
- live glumprongs
- flowing water
- sand and clay
- either casserite+copper OR iron+flux
- high savagery
- reanimation
- part of the map NOT evil

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 20, 2013, 10:03:36 am »

I don't have a non-Linux computer to test this with, sorry. I know for a fact I'm looking at the right location. I've got that section of the map memorized better than I do my own city of residence. It is weird that we are having slightly different generations. I would expect larger variations myself. ...
Yep, no problem at all.  I just presumed that there would be no differences based on operating system.  I'm going to try a few other tests today and see if I can nail down if the slight differences are caused by the initial 29 rejections in that worldgen.  If that is the case, I'll come up with a new world with no rejections, and only provide rejection-free maps in the future or post with Windows-only caveats from now on.  It's good to know, just not very convenient for you, Havvy.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62