Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2221658 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9075 on: September 18, 2013, 01:58:32 am »

Oh god why.

Scratch another Founder off the living list. What's that leave...

Telgin and BFEL are pretty average fighters, but Aseaheru II had promise, iirc.

Telgin was a new arrival thrown into 1st Squad to plug the holes. BEFL was just a civil defense trooper, Asea was an axe lord. AN AXE LORD. The casualties are mounting. This is pretty fucking messy.

And I'm laughing at the whole mess.

And I think my dwarf is next.

If LFTON dies, I have a cunning plan...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: September 18, 2013, 02:07:20 am »

Quit bringing that up. You didn't die.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: September 18, 2013, 02:12:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*removes hats*

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: September 18, 2013, 02:51:16 am »

25th Slate, 211

Got word Hatch was attacked down in the caverns. She held her own though and dealt with the offending giant toad.

Good thing she had a weapon on her or we'd have five dead now! She didn't kill it, but at least she left it in a
state that'll make it question if attacking us is worth a meal.

28th Slate, 211

Ozarch's been sent to eliminate that stupid toad. It's killed a stray pup so it's only a matter of time before it gives more than shallow cuts to a dwarf.

1st Felsite, 211

She's awake. The Colonel's fucking awake. And evidently grumpy as all hell because she woke up in a pile of empty buckets. Upon leaving her apartment, she ran into, of all dwarves, Nevyn, who was bringing her her daily water and meal.
I couldn't help but giggle when I heard she flipped the stew in his face, told him she could feed herself, and
yanked the water bucket out of his hands and dumped it on his head on the grounds she was "Sick of seeing buckets."

If this is a permanent state, then god damn are we lucky dwarves!

4th Felsite, 211

There was a little celebration for the Colonel getting back on her feet, and she's said she'll be letting Dauros remain champion. Kreia put out a call for volunteers to join her mace squad, and Sus, Baffler, and Hornbill stepped up to the call to arms. They don't have much right now, but they have enough and their own barracks to work with.

I'm sure that girl will make a fine sergeant.

8th Felsite, 211

Fucking trade officials seem to think they run this place. Russet put out a mandate for a suit of leather armor for literally no reason other than she collects the trade taxes.

12th Felsite, 211

One of the blackwhites was apologizing to the duke in the mess hall earlier today. I asked why and apparently some forgotten project of theirs is loose near the magma vent. Dauros went down to deal with it. The elves also showed up and the Parasol workers went back into the deeper parts of the fort like they did with the diplomat. I guess we can humor the stupid hypocrites.

16th Felsite, 211

Well that was unpleasant. That fellow Thumper just lost his shit and tried to beat Corai to death; The Duke was passing by the room so he charged in and took care of it.

17th Felsite, 211

The spawn are here for another round, not sure how well the scrubs will do. Thronback knew what she signed up for, as did Ozarch, but the rest of the non-veterans...

This would be more bearable if those fuck-all metal things they bolted to our towers were working. They say if they were "online" they'd turn those spawn into lumpy mush splattered on the countryside, sort of like a well trained pikedwarf would.

Regardless of what happens to the rooks, may Armok have mercy on those things' corrupted souls. Because our soldiers sure as hell won't, fancy toys or not.

18th Felsite, 211

The battle was a real clusterfuck. Some of the troops couldn't even grab their needed gear and just grabbed whatever weapons were handy. For example, I'm told Tuber was barely holding her own using an old bismuth bronze sabre of some kind. Dauros said she managed to even take a  spawn's head off with it. To give you a hint of how desperate they were to beat back these abominations, she didn't actually have her breastplate on  and she was missing a boot when she rushed out shortly after Dauros bailed Skitara out of one hell of a mess.

Plus since we were mid-renovation, a bunch of the bastards were making a beeline for the gaping hole in the hill, where they ran into the Duke leading 2nd Squad personally.

Unfortunately, that didn't save Loud Whispers, who in blind fear ran away and into the absolute mess going on near the main entrance; BFEL and Mori ran after her to try and get her to come back to the safety of the barracks, and... Well...

Oh gods... This whole disaster was my fault....

I thought  we could handle this! Why! WHY!?

-The remaining writing has become an unintelligible mess spattered with a mix of dried booze, snot, and tears.-

[ ]

6th Hematite, 211

It was horrible... So much damage done, so many lives lost...
We started the battle with 127 dwarves. We ended with 110. My poor decisions got lot of good dwarves and their attendant animals killed.

And with Splint and most of his cronies dead that leaves Mayor Tam as the highest ranking social official. I've spent the better part of this little gap crying and trying to stay locked in my room. It's... it's understandable that they're all mad at me. I got a ton of beloved friends, protectors, and pets torn to shreds, some of them just young dwarves, like Cog and Thornback, who were far too young to die.

I'm fairly certain I'll be left in charge. Col. Fischer need to figure out what to do with the battered remains of her army; Fischer had been asleep at the height of the battle, as had several dwarves since we weren't exactly on high alert, and when she found the mess... Well she wasn't happy to put it gently. and Simon Tam pissed everyone off by his immediate desire to move into Splint's quarters. Honestly alot of us told him it was too soon, and to at least let us finish burying him and get a tombstone made.Paintbrush named his other axe sometime after the battle, probably some kind of deranged memorial to the dead.

1st Squad is virtually back to square one, 2nd squad is only a squad in name with only Dicer and Sergeant Paintbrush left, and members of various other units were killed as well. As the duke is dead, I've disbanded The Noble Hammers. two out of four bodyguards and the noble dead sort of makes them jobless in that regard anyway.

We'll recover in time though. We always do.

Fucking. Disaster.

While this was disheartening

Seeing 2nd Squad reduced to two dwarves (literally two. Everyone else is deader than dead and in Gemblade's case in
several pieces.) was downright depressing. but it sure as hell was fun to watch and I was laughing pretty hard for
a good bit of the fight. The list of deaths were of course the ones I managed to get. I'm sure there's a few I missed.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:22 am »

-snip-

I... I don't...  :'(

Midna's Lament and Final Count were the most saddening things in the world, but this update...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: September 18, 2013, 09:29:40 am »

Splint is dead... *Removes hat*

I also notice Rose and Aseaheru II in there, and they were no slouches. What the hell happened out there? I guess Fischer will have to die at some point too. Her death will need to be sufficiently badass. I'm quite convinced that she cannot be killed, unless she's asleep in bed or something. Also, I seem to have joined the military. That at least is just about what I'd hoped for.

I however am one with Stova now.
:'(
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:42 am »

Well, take Ergo Fairlodge from the engineering duties and make her military lady... perhaps she will achieve her dreams, someday... and become lieutenant commander...

*wonders how would one train observer skill to fit the horrible joke*
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:24 am »

It's disheartening to see so many named dwarfs go in such a short time. How many dwarves are in the active military now?
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: September 18, 2013, 01:16:50 pm »

We pretty much have 6 competent dwarves who can still kick ass (Fischer and Draignean are counted making it six, because I can wake them up so they can defend themselves and Fischer seems able to get up on her own in-game every so often.)

That leaves us with Paintbrush, Dicer, Dauros, Skitara, Fischer, and Draignean that can be relied on. The rest are from the "meh" area like Sergeant Verio and her dwarves, to downright useless if the spawn close on them (Civil Defense Corps and the Fortress Guard.) I'm posting a new poll regarding the military.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:15 pm »

I suggest a training regimen for the guard and CDC, consisting of them beating up everything we can catch in a cage. See if we can't get them up to "meh" efficiency against spawn.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: September 18, 2013, 09:10:30 pm »

To use the same phrase as so many other:  Holy shit.

I stumbled upon your thread a week ago and have gotten about 120 pages in, and this shit is awesome.  Just wanted to thank y'all for giving me some crazy silliness to read through during a rather awful few weeks (just had a death in the family, and this has been a nice escape, in an odd way).

I haven't read the recent pages, as I am enjoying seeing this fortress unfold.  That said, based on the comments I can see in posting, it seems like I am in for a lot more carnage.  I'd love a dorfing if it is possible or feasible.  I suppose I'll find out as I catch up later.  Good luck with whatever mug induced scheme is unfolding.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:49 pm »

Said scheme is going to involve using pitchblende mugs as catapult ammo.

And welcome to the hole my good dwarf! I'll have you Dwarf'd ASAP. i think there are a few I forgot to name around here somewhere.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:21 pm »

We pretty much have 6 competent dwarves who can still kick ass (Fischer and Draignean are counted making it six, because I can wake them up so they can defend themselves and Fischer seems able to get up on her own in-game every so often.)

That leaves us with Paintbrush, Dicer, Dauros, Skitara, Fischer, and Draignean that can be relied on. The rest are from the "meh" area like Sergeant Verio and her dwarves, to downright useless if the spawn close on them (Civil Defense Corps and the Fortress Guard.) I'm posting a new poll regarding the military.

The CDC are passable - a few of them scored kills when I used them from the towers. Not more than one or two spawn though - just with lucky heart-shots.

But six soldiers capable of facing the spawn? That puts the fort in incredibly serious danger, just being overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

Skitara held off something to the order of 12-15, 7 of which she killed, without Dauros to back her up.

2nd Squad actually took the brunt of it with around 30 hitting the breach. With all the scattered limbs and shit i lost track of everything and after they started getting split up by dodging was when we started losing axelords.

Of course half of them had some kind of nerve damage so the fact that they all took a minimum of 3 with them when they died and crippled an unknown number of others says alot.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: September 18, 2013, 11:46:49 pm »

Hopefully a journal post coming in tomorrow evening. I think I did passably the first time around, and now things are happening to her!

Again, great update as always, and welcome to the thread Grimmash.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 815