Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244415 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9601 on: March 05, 2015, 08:43:25 pm »

A progressive's obituary for one of the leading figures in anti-abortion campaigning. "Credit where credit is due"

I was expecting something shrill and crude1, but that was actually kinda nice. I certainly learned something from it.

1the comments did not disappoint.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:15 pm »

The alternate solution to the murdering AI is just, you know, not plug guns and bombs into it.

We don't even need a general AI, all we need is AI which is only capable of making decisions within it's programmed context. This AI is all around us now, Google use AI extensively in their search engines, for example.

Keep in mind that almost all the jobs robots would replace don't require any particularly advanced AI, most of them are repetitive menial work with only basic decision making involved.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: March 07, 2015, 03:45:07 am »

Yeah, AI in a box and all that. It could perfectly convince you that letting it into the world at large would benefit humanity more than anything else you could possibly do and that not doing so makes you more evil than any other human in history.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: March 07, 2015, 04:43:58 am »

Yeah, AI in a box and all that. It could perfectly convince you that letting it into the world at large would benefit humanity more than anything else you could possibly do and that not doing so makes you more evil than any other human in history.
And the worst part is it could be right. Depending on if you define evil through intent, actions, or results. The latter two would be the clinchers.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:06 am »

I've always found the "AI in a box" experiment to be pretty silly. People don't operate on RPG-dialogue-tree logic.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: March 07, 2015, 05:24:43 am »

I've always found the "AI in a box" experiment to be pretty silly. People don't operate on RPG-dialogue-tree logic.
I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: March 07, 2015, 05:27:44 am »

name!  job!   bye!

PD
.. you know, I think I'm going to try communicating in Ultima7ese for a while. Just to see how well it works out...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:30:41 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: March 07, 2015, 12:19:19 pm »

The alternate solution to the murdering AI is just, you know, not plug guns and bombs into it.

We don't even need a general AI, all we need is AI which is only capable of making decisions within it's programmed context. This AI is all around us now, Google use AI extensively in their search engines, for example.

Keep in mind that almost all the jobs robots would replace don't require any particularly advanced AI, most of them are repetitive menial work with only basic decision making involved.
Er... No. All the jobs a robot would replace would be... All the jobs. Programming, research, busyness management, anything a human can do a robot or AI can do, conceivably. It's already happening.

Why would you think they'd stop? I don't even know how to describe that concept.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: March 07, 2015, 12:36:38 pm »

Yeah, it's one of those things that are kinda' important to remember when talking about future developments in automata -- while humans are pretty good at a lot of things in a subjective sense (relative to other "natural" entities), we're really kinda' terrible at most everything in something approaching an objective sense (from the perspective of maximal efficiency or effectiveness). There is basically nothing a human can do that a machine will not, eventually, be able to do better, and, in all likelihood, cheaper (though that usually comes a fair amount of time after the better side of the equation).

And that holds true for pretty much everything else. Evolution is kind of a terrible engineer -- really good at what it does, but really bad at actually achieving goals beyond that particular focus, solving problems, etc. Machines -- AI, expert systems, simple automated systems, whatever -- are almost certainly going to eventually replace... well, basically everything. Because they're better at it (it being whatever task or tasks are being considered) than we can be. Since they're, y'know, specifically built for it, whereas more or less nothing else is. Barring some kind of catastrophe or specifically sabotaging ourselves in that arena, the question of humans being effectively replaced in all roles is not a question of if, but when.

... and we kinda' want that to happen, imo. Means we can goof off, do whatever, and still avoid starving to death in the streets. Probably. It's certainly a greater likelihood of success than pretty much any other scenario for eliminating human suffering. Chance of robot apocalypse, sure, but at least in the scenario of a robot apocalypse there's (probably) a legacy left behind, as opposed to all the other sorts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: March 07, 2015, 12:53:06 pm »

And keep in mind the possibility that, soon after the AI achieves superintelligence, it may figure out how to help us become superintelligent, too.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: March 07, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »

It's literally just based on a Terminator movie, and not even one of the good ones.  Personally I'm more worried about zombies.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: March 07, 2015, 01:03:02 pm »

And keep in mind the possibility that, soon after the AI achieves superintelligence, it may figure out how to help us become superintelligent, too.
Or the super-intelligent AI might be developed attached to our NI from the get go.
Taste my Paci-Fist

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: March 07, 2015, 01:12:59 pm »

Or the super-intelligent AI might be developed attached to our NI from the get go.

NI

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: March 07, 2015, 09:23:13 pm »

Er... No. All the jobs a robot would replace would be... All the jobs. Programming, research, busyness management, anything a human can do a robot or AI can do, conceivably. It's already happening.

Many of those jobs listed are ones that people enjoy doing, there may not even be a need to replace them with AI if people voluntarily do them. Humans may not even be intelligent enough to create an AI smart enough to handle some of these problems beyond what a human can do.

And regardless, the original point still stands. Build an AI specifically for Programming, for example. It doesn't need to know how to interact with people or how to use bombs, it just needs to churn out computer code. AI research is very little like what you see in the media, it is focused on producing AI for very specific roles, too many AI Winters have been caused by over-optimistic researchers claiming the creation of more general AI will happen any day now. A self-driving car is incapable of composing classical music, Iamus can't drive a car, etc.

Why would you think they'd stop? I don't even know how to describe that concept.

Because there is no longer an impetus? If robots take up enough roles that people are more free to choose what they want to do, and the output is enough to meet demand, why would you build a robot to do your job? Why would a programmer who enjoys programming want an AI to do their job?

There is another interesting point. Perhaps Humans are not intelligent enough to create an AI that is itself capable itself of creating AI more intelligent than itself. At that point, AI becomes not very useful (beyond the certain specific fields that AI do are better than humans).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 759