Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247673 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1740 on: June 01, 2012, 05:45:56 pm »

Honestly, I think we just need a megaproject or 17 to employ all these people and coastal whatever would do the trick. Shit you could make them into tidal power generators and that'd be essentially another TVA work project. Sure the total price tag on those nationwide megaprojects would be about... I'd estimate $3 Trillion, but we spent that on 2 wars we got nothing out of. At least this way we'd have something to show for it, and if we actually had financial advisers for people, then we could move towards that "free market" no one understands but everyone is raving about. It sorta requires "perfect information," but we're a country where people spend $40/week on pizza and wonder why they're fat and broke....

Deficit? At this point, doing nothing won't reduce it. Trying something to stimulate things might actually. Let's conserve our energy in this hole rather than dig....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:51:06 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: June 01, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »

I'm getting an absolutely hilarious mental image of the future, where NC has followed that law and all the surrounding states have built a two or so meter wall along the border. Folks sitting on top of the wall fishing where there used to be a state, now an oversized bay.
Actually, even if all the ice on Earth melted, more than half of NC would still be above water. And my city would be beachfront property.  8)
Does this hold true if other locations on Earth actually build proper coastal barriers, concentrating the amount of water that winds up in NC?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: June 02, 2012, 04:51:59 am »

Well, the total area of land that'll go under is negligible compared to the area of ocean, so yes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: June 05, 2012, 11:08:01 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/scott-walker-fights-retain-governorship-wisconsin-recall-010044710.html

So the following just happened here:

a.) "Citizens United" lead to massive money influencing elections.
b.) People have proven themselves so stupid as to cut all public unions including police, fire and notoriously low teacher's salaries....
c.) Democrazy fails yet again.

People want X.... And? A 3 year old wants candy, you don't just give it to them.... Cutting police funding in a recession where people are desperate is insane....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:56 pm »

Should be interesting to see what the fallout is. Wonder what sort of stat tracking is going on, hum.

Wisconsin's apparently to go on the list, though. Kinda' wondering how large my "states-to-avoid" list is going to get :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:20 pm »

I think it should be quite obvious by now, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in, that a 50-something percent majority of the vote does NOT mean everyone loves you and you were saying the right things/making the right decisions. It just means slightly more than half the people prefer the perceived you over the perceived opponent. Plenty of those people voting for walker could have been against the public employee crap Walker pulled, yet for one reason or another just didn't want to vote for the other side.

I know it's a broken record at this point, but how did things get so god damned polarized. Where is the middle ground? Why aren't people able to do something moderate. I can ALMOST understand it in some situations where it's a definite one side or the other case. (The few that there are.) But Walker could have easily backed down on the Union thing, he could have easily reconsidered his budget cuts into something less drastic and I bet a lot of people would have been "Okay, that'll work for us." Rather, he chooses the path that says. "Hey, you people complaining?  Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Yeah... you're all idiots. I got voted back in, so it proves it."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »

Cutting police funding in a recession where people are desperate is insane....
I disagree. The police have too much funding as is in this nation. SWAT teams for every small town in America is a horrible idea that wouldn't be possible if the police were forced to make due with less.

Cutting fire services and teachers is bad, though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:03:34 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: June 06, 2012, 12:02:58 am »

Definitely a disappointing result. Oh well, I guess I don't have to go through the effort of shortening my list of reasons to never go to Wisconsin.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51:45 am »

Police do often get too much funding, but I wouldn't generally say it's the SWAT teams that are the biggest drain. Around here each  officer got a radiation detector and a hazmat suit. Also got absolutely no training to go along with them. SWAT teams are a relatively small, precision tool to be used for some very important and not uncommon situations. It's also a situation where officers are actually getting extra training. Money could be saved on expensive toys, but I'd just as soon put all that same money back into training and internal oversight programs to keep departments accountable.

Firefighter and Teacher funding, I'll also say it's generally bad to cut those as well, but I'm certainly biased there.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:01 am »

Hey, sorry to derail the current discussion, but I think this is kinda huge.

The 'Defense of Marriage Act' (DOMA) was just unanimously declared unconstitutional by the 1st circuit court of appeals.

(Sources and relevant scattered throughout.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: June 06, 2012, 01:23:05 am »

The 'Defense of Marriage Act' (DOMA) was just unanimously declared unconstitutional by the 1st circuit court of appeals.

Two words:
HELL. YES.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:16 am »

I just have one word:

HUZZAH!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 06, 2012, 01:30:59 am »

*record scratch*

I....I did not see that coming.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 06, 2012, 02:02:18 am »

That is big news, of course it could be rendered completely moot by the SCOTUS pretty soon. I honestly have no clue how they're going to rule on this.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: June 06, 2012, 02:04:37 am »

It violates the Equal Protection Clause. That's not even arguable. It's kind of a shock that DOMA lasted this long. I predict either an 8-1 or 9-0 ruling from SCOTUS, depending upon how arch-conservative Thomas is feeling that day.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 759