Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247105 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3765 on: October 19, 2012, 09:08:31 am »

Well, sports organizations are conglomerates of the teams that play the sport, and while individual teams may want to cheat they don't want anyone else to be able to cheat them, so the rise of a competent regulatory agency is the natural solution.

The same doesn't really apply to for-profit businesses, as they sell products rather than performance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: October 19, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »

Minnesota bans free online classes because they might not be worth people's time.  In all fairness, they're trying to crack down on diploma mill online schools that offer fake degrees, but still, they're banning free classes as well.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: October 19, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »

Argh, this is like the taxi situation but 10x worse, because no one is even being charged for anything. -_-
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:12:37 pm by GlyphGryph »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: October 19, 2012, 12:10:05 pm »

Minnesota bans free online classes because they might not be worth people's time.  In all fairness, they're trying to crack down on diploma mill online schools that offer fake degrees, but still, they're banning free classes as well.

Just a thought: Is there a lobbying effort by large colleges to perhaps reduce sources of free education so that students might not be able to breeze through as quickly, and thus pay higher tuition fees?

Just seems like something that I might expect in this day and age.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: October 19, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »

Actually, its colleges that are supporting the free online education. MIT is offering free online courses at the moment, as I recall. Colleges are generally more ideological than profit-based.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: October 19, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »

Note that Minnesota DOES let actual fraudulent universities offer online courses. (Exactly the people they claim this law is supposed to protect from)

Maybe this is just them trying to squash their competition? Those guys most definitely care about nothing but profit.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: October 19, 2012, 12:24:26 pm »

Actually, its colleges that are supporting the free online education. MIT is offering free online courses at the moment, as I recall. Colleges are generally more ideological than profit-based.
Not sure about that. A lot of the free online education I see is coming from Ivy League and other well-known universities. These are the ones who can actually afford it, because it's amazing publicity and their degrees are worth as much or more than the education they provide when it comes to getting a job, so they're not undercutting themselves significantly. Not that I'm complaining, free education is pretty much great.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: October 19, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »

Let me just say, MIT's online chemistry is bloody amazing.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: October 19, 2012, 01:31:46 pm »

Just was linked to this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/opinion/global/chinas-leftover-women.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&

Couple of nice quotes: "Pretty girls don't need a lot of education to marry into a rich and powerful family, but girls with an average or ugly appearance will find it difficult. These kinds of girls hope to further their education in order to increase their competitiveness. The tragedy is, they don't realize that as women age, they are worth less and less, so by the time they get their M.A. or Ph.D., they are already old, like yellowed pearls."

"When you find out that he is having an affair, you may be in a towering rage, but you must know that if you make a fuss, you are denying the man “face” ... No man is capable of spending a lifetime being loyal to an outmoded wife who never changes ... Try changing your hairstyle or your fashion. Women must constantly change for the better."

Those come from China’s state feminist agency, the "All-China Women’s Federation."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: October 19, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »

The fuck is wrong with China?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: October 19, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »

A traditionalist society with defined anti-egalitarian gender and social roles that have existed for millennium and survived decades of communist dictatorship.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: October 19, 2012, 03:36:58 pm »

Just was linked to this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/opinion/global/chinas-leftover-women.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&

Couple of nice quotes: "Pretty girls don't need a lot of education to marry into a rich and powerful family, but girls with an average or ugly appearance will find it difficult. These kinds of girls hope to further their education in order to increase their competitiveness. The tragedy is, they don't realize that as women age, they are worth less and less, so by the time they get their M.A. or Ph.D., they are already old, like yellowed pearls."

"When you find out that he is having an affair, you may be in a towering rage, but you must know that if you make a fuss, you are denying the man “face” ... No man is capable of spending a lifetime being loyal to an outmoded wife who never changes ... Try changing your hairstyle or your fashion. Women must constantly change for the better."

Those come from China’s state feminist agency, the "All-China Women’s Federation."

I'm all for cultural relativism, and trying to understand why societies develop the roles and values they do from as unbiased a perspective as I can muster... but this shit pisses me off.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:23 pm »

There's a difference between "cultural relativism" and accepting any sort of values. At least as far as I'm concerned, that is. I don't believe my morals are superior to, say, the taliban's, because of some higher power or natural law. There is nothing objetivelly making them "superior", except the fact that I and others regard them as such. Which... makes it all the more important to defend them. (AKA: for me moral relativism is not some kind of postmodernist nihilism, but simply an assessment of the standing realities)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: October 19, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »

What Castillian Monkey Jesus said.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: October 19, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

You left out the best quote:

Many highly educated “leftover women” are very progressive in their thinking and enjoy going to nightclubs to search for a one-night stand, or they become the mistress of a high official or rich man. It is only when they have lost their youth and are kicked out by the man, that they decide to look for a life partner. Therefore, most “leftover women” do not deserve our sympathy.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 759