Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244303 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4125 on: December 07, 2012, 11:32:08 pm »

Well, now that I've covered Big Gay Law, here are the latest Big Gay Polls, fresh from Gallup:

-By far, the most likely reason for an American to oppose Same-Sex Marriage is PRASE JEBUS, at 47% of those opposed. The secondary reason, MARRIAGE IS BETWEEN, is far below, at only 20%.

-The most likely reasons for an American to support Same-Sex Marriage are EQUALITY and LIBERTY, both at 32% of those in support.

-Currently, 53% of Americans believe Same-Sex Marriage should be legal. This completely retakes last year's 3% dive, putting it back at the record high.

-You are most likely to support Same-Sex Marriage if you are between the ages of 18 and 29 (73%), are a Democrat (73%), and attend church on a less than monthly basis (70%).

-You are least likely to support Same-Sex Marriage if you are over the age of 65 (38%), are a Republican (30%), and attend church weekly (28%).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: December 08, 2012, 12:15:48 am »

I would much rather Obama got to replace a conservative justice to two before this case was decided. These are the same ones who said corporations are people (but only for the good parts of being people, can't jail them, or their directors), so who knows what on earth they'll come up with this time.
Has anyone ever tried some unnatural selection? SCOTUS members are among the most powerful people there are, annd they're elected for life - shorten that of those you don't like, and see to it that a president you agree with makes the choice of replacement.

(Just to be on the safe side (and give the CIA less of a reason to come pay me a visit): I'm in no way trying to advocate killing supreme court justices. Seriously.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:27:45 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: December 08, 2012, 12:24:48 am »

I would much rather Obama got to replace a conservative justice to two before this case was decided. These are the same ones who said corporations are people (but only for the good parts of being people, can't jail them, or their directors), so who knows what on earth they'll come up with this time.
Has anyone ever tried some unnaturall selection? SCOTUS members are among the most powerful people there are, annd they're elected for life - shorten that of those you don't like, and see to it that a president you agree with makes the choice of replacement.

(Just to be on the safe side (and give the CIA less of a reason to come pay me a visit): I'm in no way trying to advocate killing supreme court justices. Seriously.)
They are getting older, It's quite possible Obama will replace one in his term.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: December 08, 2012, 12:31:34 am »

It is more likely than not that Scalia and Ginsburg will both retire and/or die during Obama's second term. Both are nearing average life expectancy and are in poor health.

It is, of course, not out of the question that any of the Justices might suddenly need to retire. Even the youngest amongst them, Kagen, is 52 and thus vulnerable to health problems that younger individuals will rarely experience.

And hell, they are all able to retire if they feel like it. Some people might want to die in office, but some don't. Any one of the Justices might decide to forgo their position at any time.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: December 08, 2012, 01:06:47 am »

It's a very up in the air thing though, it really entirely depends on the justices. Some of them may decide to put off retiring to avoid having their successor picked by a black guy, it's very hard to tell. What will happen with the supreme court depends on what's in their minds, and their hearts (particularly the quantity of cholesterol).

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4130 on: December 08, 2012, 01:59:54 am »

Scalia will say fuck you to death as long as Obama is in office.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: December 08, 2012, 02:01:31 am »

Scalia will fuck you to death as long as Obama is in office.
One little word missing and it becomes a whole new sentence.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: December 08, 2012, 02:05:54 am »

Scalia will fuck you to death as long as Obama is in office.
One little word missing and it becomes a whole new sentence.

Without meaning anything very different.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4133 on: December 08, 2012, 03:50:26 am »

Has anyone ever tried some unnatural selection? SCOTUS members are among the most powerful people there are, annd they're elected for life - shorten that of those you don't like, and see to it that a president you agree with makes the choice of replacement.

So, are you volunteering to cook scalia bacon and ice cream for breakfast, mcdonalds for lunch and wiskey + unfiltered cigars for dinner every single day?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: December 08, 2012, 07:08:23 am »

Well, don't forget that Scalia may be old, but he's also in the 1%. Average life expenctancy in the US depends a lot on wealth, and Scalia would spend 2 years with a truckful of machines assuming most of his vital function if that allowed him to last until 2016.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: December 08, 2012, 07:39:24 am »

Average life expectancy  is less biased than in the times of rampant infant mortality, but nonetheless it doesn't mean much.  Don't count on Zeus stricking down Scalia just because he's in his eighties.

Edit: just googled it and he's not *that* old either
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:45:00 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: December 08, 2012, 11:37:45 am »

Well, don't forget that Scalia may be old, but he's also in the 1%. Average life expenctancy in the US depends a lot on wealth, and Scalia would spend 2 years with a truckful of machines assuming most of his vital function if that allowed him to last until 2016.
None of the Justices are in the 1%, actually. Most of them are millionaires, but the richest of them is Ginsberg, with 25 million. Scalia has 2.8 million. They're rich, but not 1% rich.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:42:18 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: December 08, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »

In that case, only Breyer and Ginsberg are in the 1%.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: December 08, 2012, 01:01:58 pm »

So... They're in the 2%? 5% at least? :P
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 759