Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247748 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4230 on: December 13, 2012, 05:12:37 pm »

Yeah, RedKing, it's fine to not like some of Chavez's policies, but it's silly to say he even comes close to being a dictator. He's got clear and widespread democratic support, their elections are pretty high quality, and politically they seem to be on par with the US quality-wise.

They've got a lot of factors we don't have to deal with too, like the people trying launch violent coups. I'd argue they are doing better than we did under similar circumstances...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: December 14, 2012, 04:30:09 am »

I was bringing it up because originally Nadaka said that liberals and libertarians are very similar fundamentally, as shown by the fact that I and my father have really similar ideals but opposite executions.

This tends to be my relationship with libertarians as well.  I know some that are decently intelligent and informed, and can respectably debate their stances pretty far.  The most divisive factor between me and them is they seem to be more dogmatic about the execution than consequences.  For just one example among many, they think that government interference in the free market is what creates monopolies and extreme inequality.  I tend to concede that point and ask them what they think should be done about current levels of inequality that, regardless of where they came from, are now firmly entrenched and will probably just get worse if you dismantle the government.  The typical response I get is "FREE MARKET FREE MARKET FREE MARKET IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER!!!".  There are some important points that just seem to short circuit them, and it seems to put their rabid pursuit of ultimate free market purity on par with those extremist Christians who will do anything, no matter how horrible, to bring about the conditions for rapture.  It frustrates and scares me, because this kind of dogmatic libertarianism seems to be spreading very quickly, based on personal encounters.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: December 14, 2012, 04:56:38 am »

It frustrates and scares me, because this kind of dogmatic libertarianism seems to be spreading very quickly, based on personal encounters.
It's a shame, yeah. I guess it's mostly because there's a widespread discontent with the inefficient government/administration, and the only semi-cool/rebellious person in the establishment happens to be Ron Paul.

I want FDR back - a magnificient bastard if ever there was one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: December 14, 2012, 05:06:49 pm »

Connecticut thread. Keep it there, I don't really want to moderate it right now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: December 15, 2012, 08:09:17 am »

Just FYI, these are the guys that developed Agent Orange. Quite glad to see that they finally get some resistance.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: December 15, 2012, 08:14:48 am »

Well, let me be the devil's advocate here, but those farmers knew that when they bought the seeds. No one put a gun to their head.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: December 15, 2012, 08:19:57 am »

Nah not really. They bought the seeds and are sued when they try replanting them. Often that was not in the original contract.

I mean, Monsanto when as far as sueing the farmers living close to GMO fields, because birds and rodents and natural pollination had spread the modified seeds to their fields.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: December 15, 2012, 08:28:57 am »

While I have no love for Monsanto and would really like to see them lose this lawsuit, (which accordingly to this site they already did in brazil and now are appealing it) the broken system of patents and IP we have is also to blame for the crazy things that are going on here.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: December 15, 2012, 09:16:11 am »

Well, if it was not in the contract, then we got a problem.

But I'm spilt on the general issue: the only way to get private companies to invest in better germplasm is to have patents on them. Like patents for new drugs.

Also, re: the contamination, I mostly remember that canadian case, where it turned out the farmer sprayed one of his non-GMO field with Roundup so that all plants would die save the few % contaminated (I'm not sure if it was legit contamination, of GMO seeds from the previous year lef tover). He then collected the seed to sow them again. It's clearly a case of somebody wanting GMO seeds without paying for them, which is why he eventually lost in courts.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: December 15, 2012, 09:20:36 am »

Their have been many other contamination cases, where the farmers where not at fault.

Problem with Monsanto is that they have/ are actively manipulating politics to suit their goals. Many of their products have not been tested properly. Worse even, when a certain group of farmers started selling milk from cows that hadn't been treated(and noted this on the product) by their possibly carcinogenic hormone therapy, they installed a lobbying group to take it of the market.

(As for having lost already , AFAIK, they have also had problems in India)

Edit: Also, I'm not sure we want private compagnies investing this much into these topics. Especially healthcare and food sources are problematic, since "Corruption" is widespread. Corporate funded researches have been shown to have 75% positive results*, while that number is below 50% on governement/ independent researches.

*Product works, no side effects, stuff like that
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:26:25 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:06 am »

Source please?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: December 15, 2012, 09:32:42 am »

Look at the wikipedia page, sources enough.

Or Link

((Belgian Television))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: December 15, 2012, 09:34:12 am »

Come on, not that movie. It's one of the worst piece of propaganda I've seen. It's really, really terrible. In the french version, you could even hear that she mistranslated what those indian peasants said to make it anti-GMO.

Also, I looked on the wiki, and don't find anything reprehensible.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:44:39 am by Sheb »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: December 15, 2012, 09:46:33 am »

To be fair, the pharma industry is the one that invests the largest % of its profits in R+D. They are not saints, but the model works. I'd rather have goverments being forced to invest large chunks of their GDP by law on R+D, but as it stands politicians are unlikely to agree to that because the first things they slash from funding are those which will produce results further than 4 years away.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 759