Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247654 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6735 on: July 22, 2013, 09:24:19 am »

In that case, nothing would stop us applying the same technologies in launching a small probe with a few dozen minds running on it, or many such probes, contravening the Fermi paradox.
Yeah, that's actually one of the original purpose of the 'cyborg' idea. The famous 1960 Clynes and Kline paper:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/40145380/Cyborgs-and-Space-By-Manfred-E-Clynes-and-Nathan-S-Kline

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: July 22, 2013, 09:43:44 am »

Greenpeace on fusion.
They seem less and less likeable to me.
I began to dislike them when they supported the EUCJ sentence on ESC patents with the usual pro-lifer bullshit about ipscs making ESC "unnecessary". Really? Let's see what Shinya Yamanaka, nobel prize of Medicine and the goddamn DISCOVERER of IPSCs says about the matter: Whoops!
So... what about the ISSCR? Does it say any different?

Spoiler: "No, it doesn't" (click to show/hide)
So screw you GreenPeace, screw you very hard. If I ever gave a dime to you was so that you could troll the Japanese for ignoring the whaling ban, nuclear weapon tests, and shit like that. But leave actual scientific research to the grownups to deal with, k? Things are bad enough with the Eurozone crisis for you to come in and muddle the waters even further with your cluelessness
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: July 22, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »

Greenpeace on fusion.
They seem less and less likeable to me.
I began to dislike them when they supported the EUCJ sentence on ESC patents with the usual pro-lifer bullshit about ipscs making ESC "unnecessary". Really? Let's see what Shinya Yamanaka, nobel prize of Medicine and the goddamn DISCOVERER of IPSCs says about the matter: Whoops!
So... what about the ISSCR? Does it say any different?

Spoiler: "No, it doesn't" (click to show/hide)
So screw you GreenPeace, screw you very hard. If I ever gave a dime to you was so that you could troll the Japanese for ignoring the whaling ban, nuclear weapon tests, and shit like that. But leave actual scientific research to the grownups to deal with, k? Things are bad enough with the Eurozone crisis for you to come in and muddle the waters even further with your cluelessness

> demand IPSCs replace ESCs
> IPSCs require (epi-)genetic manipulation to be made
> trash genetic research facilities

Greenpeace cannot into logic.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:09 am »

Considering the article contained a  link to this, I'm not so sure it's reliable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: July 25, 2013, 04:16:29 am »

Even if it is true, you know when big oil finds were a sign of a good oil supply? When finding them wasn't news.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: July 25, 2013, 04:26:48 am »

well, it is good to know that we shoved bad the energy collapse point a few years back, even if this doesn't help in regard of climate change. ( if it is as large as stated)
the link to E-Cat is a bit... well, I don't know. I won't trust anything Mr Rossi says about it until he reveals his catalyst, assuming there really is one.

however, there is also a link about thorium fission research in that article, and thorium fissium is a promising field. beats coal, anyway.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: July 25, 2013, 04:39:43 am »

Considering the article contained a  link to this, I'm not so sure it's reliable.
There were questions raised as to it's authenticity on the website I got it from. So keep that in mind that it may not be reliable.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: July 25, 2013, 05:13:50 am »

Aren't we all still waiting for those oil pipelines from Turkmenistan to the West being completed? Some of the biggest reserves in the world are down there.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: July 25, 2013, 06:28:59 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/bank-mistakenly-repossesses-ohio-woman-s-home-172941826.html

You or I do this and its a felony burglary among other crimes with a few years in jail. Bank does it; gets cocky about it to victim.... "Corporations are people." Who can we jail? (Hopefully the one in charge, but.... [sigh])

I hope she sues them for far more than $18,000.

I've seem this before where you could kinda see the mistake... 303 instead of 308 or something, but how do you get 509 to 514? GPS? Really?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:55:20 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: July 25, 2013, 06:40:22 am »

Yeah... imagine if that kind of excuse worked for, y'know, thieves. "Sorry yer honor, I thought I was moving my friends' stuff for 'em. They tol' me the address an'GPS lead me here and I assumed it was thissun! Honest mistake, coulda' happened t'anyone." Then y'just hit the same street until everyone but the friend is pilfered.

... but yeah. If it was a group of people doing something like that, who would you jail? Start with the on-the-ground movers and work your way up? Maybe it's about time we started letting some legal liability weasel its way through th'liability protection incorporation offers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:34 am »

What we need is a cultural shift that stops worshiping wealth and starts socially punishing greed instead.  The law is never going to be turned against them until such a cultural shift takes place anyway.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: July 25, 2013, 07:02:23 am »

What we need is a cultural shift that stops worshiping wealth and starts socially punishing greed instead.  The law is never going to be turned against them until such a cultural shift takes place anyway.
Never gonna happen.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6749 on: July 25, 2013, 08:24:27 am »

First of all, the oil in this formation in Australia is going to be quite expensive to extract.  It has been estimated that it is going to cost up to 300 million dollars just to get this site ready for production.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 759