Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247114 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7995 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:25 pm »

I don't think those physical requirements are accurate.  I don't see the pull ups requirement getting slightly easier while the run time gets dramatically harder, even over the course of the ten years since I was last informed.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:46 pm »

Ok, fuck this. Blocking you again.

You were never unblocked.  All the same, you don't need to condescend to me when discussing mathematics.
Is there, like, a story behind this! There must be a story behind this. What's the story behind this?
*Helgoland stares at the screen, paralysed by his perplexed social instincts*

I seem to recall it had something to do with misogyny in math class, but maybe I'm thinking of something different.

This is, again, ignoring all of the temporary, cultural downsides, like the macho Western instinct to protect a woman above other priorities
This is a biological instinct in men, not some temporary cultural thing. Hardwired right into the brain.

Some
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
would argue against this, but I'm not sure either way so I'm going to be generous.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »

This is, again, ignoring all of the temporary, cultural downsides, like the macho Western instinct to protect a woman above other priorities
This is a biological instinct in men, not some temporary cultural thing. Hardwired right into the brain.
I should hope you have a citation for that. I know I at least don't really feel that way towards women.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: January 14, 2014, 07:20:55 pm »

(removed)

Is this an unreasonable opinion? Am I asking too much not to have people I am personally associated with not die to faulty equipment? Is this an unreasonable thing for anyone to desire? Simply projecting my feelings onto people in America who may or may not have loved ones who go into combat situations, this is a real concern to people who exist and make up a not insignificant amount of people. Is it unreasonable to ask that they be treated fairly?
No, it is actually totally reasonable, especially in the US army where they throw away enough money that they can afford to spend some of it effectively. I agree, they should be spending the extra money.
I just feel that it is important to point out that women not getting good fitting armor is a spending choice, if a poor one, not a matter of wanting them to have no protection. It isn't about body parts, it is about whether they choose to spend the money to fit a small minority of people, and yes they should, but I understand why they didn't.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7999 on: January 14, 2014, 07:25:03 pm »

I'm not sure about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of instinct towards protecting potential mothers/mates harking back to the times when men may well have 'stolen' women, or predators were much more of a danger.
And I would be about as unsurprised if it's just some cultural... thing that popped up at some point.
Ba dum tss

Will return with a bunch of other shit if the conversation continues, but until then I'm out for now

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8000 on: January 14, 2014, 07:27:31 pm »

Ba dum tss

Will return with a bunch of other shit if the conversation continues, but until then I'm out for now

Isn't that article about men having wired protection for children rather than women?
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: January 14, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »

Look up pedomorphism.  I'm not sure if he's alluding to that, but that's where you'll find a connection.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: January 14, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »

It's also about how the "hard-wired care" has the opposite effect on males than what is being claimed above, what with him becoming a less testosterone-filled risktaker.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: January 14, 2014, 07:37:37 pm »

It also refers specifically to pregnancy, which I would hope is uncommon on the battlefield.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: January 14, 2014, 07:47:39 pm »

Children and women are different :X
when I become a cannibal warlord I'll throw men, women and children alike in my cookpots. I'll be an equal-oportunity anthropophage.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8005 on: January 14, 2014, 08:29:30 pm »

I removed a spat.  Hopefully people can exercise some caution and so on, and remember to follow the guidelines.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: January 15, 2014, 04:37:17 am »

That stuff got pretty heated, yeah.
Anybody up for a change in topic?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: January 18, 2014, 09:35:48 pm »

I was reading the thread about the Jane Elliot video (the blue eyes / brown eyes experiment).

This is my take on the problems with it - in the original experiment, the group was racially homogenous, there was no preexisting us/them divide. Then, they're divided by an arbitrary rule into blue eye / brown eyes groups.

Bigotry ensues; then, deprogramming / debriefing, the children realize that the division was false, and see how easily they slipped into an us/them divide that didn't exist. And, therefore existing racial lines don't mean a thing.

The problem therefore, is that the British example we saw, is no longer arbitrary since it's involving a mixed-race group, and the eye-color factor that was arbitrary, is now largely distributed on preexisting racial boundaries. Getting people to bicker while divided largely along pre-existing racial boundaries cannot possibly "break down" the barriers.

The equivalent would be to take a room full of Jews and Nazis, put the Jews in charge, watch the sparks fly, and then try and claim you've broken down the Jew/Nazi divide.

Now, either Jane Elliot should be well aware of the problems of running her "experiment" with mixed race crowds along the eye-color divide, so my guess is that she's doing this for career reasons.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:40:28 pm by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: January 18, 2014, 09:41:18 pm »

Well the difference would be that Nazis, pretty much by definition, are racist against Jews. You have a choice about being a Nazi or not, and as a racially motivated hate group, being racist is an intrinsic property. White people, do not by definition, hate black people. Some of them do, certainly! But getting a room full of white people and asserting that they are all racist is just incorrect. You don't have a choice about being white, so people who are born white aren't going to change that when they choose to not be racist.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:53 pm »

Godwin's Law tangent:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 759