Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247111 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8565 on: November 11, 2014, 11:43:05 am »

They do work differently though. The tea party doesn't have any regionalism, and the CSU is not whipping the entire CDU into adaping its positions. Plus the CSU is not much more reactionary than the CDU, it's just more visible. And the CSU is part of the establishment!

If you want to find a tea party equivalent in Germany, look at the less sane parts of Die Linke.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: November 11, 2014, 11:45:58 am »

Yeah, but lefty nutjobs are so much more adorable than righty nutjobs.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: November 11, 2014, 11:48:41 am »

Either way, my primary point is that Germany's peace between Christian and Social democrats as the political bedrock isn't particularly useful for dealing with things in America, which you have rightfully said is so different it can't be related. Politics are an endless struggle, and that won't change.

Further, I don't believe social democracy will ever be the order of the day in the US. New England's left is there sometimes, but by and large it is rejected.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: November 11, 2014, 11:53:27 am »

... ever? I was under the impression the states were already a (kinda' shitty) social democracy, and heading further towards europe's example with successive generations.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: November 11, 2014, 11:57:32 am »

Remember, in the US corporations are people.

So they are everywhere else (except for communist countries) and I don't really see how could it be another way.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: November 11, 2014, 11:59:53 am »

... ever? I was under the impression the states were already a (kinda' shitty) social democracy, and heading further towards europe's example with successive generations.
Only by the most wide ranging criteria, which would encompass the vast majority of nations. Also, Europe's example is newer than people would like to believe. It wasn't all that long ago that the US was trending Great Society and Europe was operating under "our way or communism".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: November 11, 2014, 02:37:30 pm »

Remember, in the US corporations are people.

So they are everywhere else (except for communist countries) and I don't really see how could it be another way.
There's a difference between "This thing is functionally a person, in that it has the legal ability to make contracts, assume risks, pay taxes, and otherwise function as an economic entity" and "This thing is functionally a person, in that it has civil rights like freedom of speech, the ability to vote, a right to privacy, and whatever other tools are accorded to political entities". Conflating the two is dangerous stuff.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: November 11, 2014, 06:28:16 pm »

It's the difference between natural and juridical persons basically.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: November 11, 2014, 09:07:51 pm »

There's a question. If a caesarian is universally more likely to result in a healthy birth because of whatever complications - is it right to force the pregnant woman to undergo a caesarian (Assuming here that she wants herself and the baby to survive, but for whatever reason doesn't like the idea of surgery).
Vaccinations have been brought up, with similar theories.

My personal opinion:
"Suspending the rights of the stupid" seems to be something which would quickly be turned against minorities, and probably give some very bad doctors far too much power.
But otherwise, I'd like to consider it as a pipe dream. It would be nice, but nobody could or should ever do it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: November 11, 2014, 09:17:45 pm »

Vaccinations are different from almost every other health issue due to the fact that refusing to get one puts the whole of society in danger, not just you.  Caesarians should be treated like every other medical procedure, you cannot put the rights of an unborn child ahead of those of a fully grown adult woman.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: November 11, 2014, 10:22:21 pm »

...you cannot put the rights of an unborn child ahead of those of a fully grown adult woman.
Fucking this. You can, at best, put them at an equal level, but there's a disturbing trend to do otherwise when people pretend to talk about nuance. General policy when you're not sure one way or the other is not to implement law to force (or forbid) a single person to have a medical procedure for the sake of another single person.

There are exceptions, like vaccinations, or water (or salt) fluoridation. Those are situations where the expected harm is so low, and the net gain for society if implemented universally is so high, that there's hardly a moral question in the first place. Likewise, ownership of biological weapons by private citizens has such an obviously high expected harm and low gain for society, so there's no real moral question in banning it. But when things get iffy, you generally err on the side of letting people make their own decisions.

So "it's a difficult question" is a really shitty reason for robbing women of their rights. You don't do that sort of thing when you're not sure.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:57 am »

I don't really understand why everyone seems to think that giving birth and undergoing C-sections really aren't a big deal. "What if a C-Section could help the baby a lot? We could make the mom do surgery!"

Yeah, and having a better list of organ donors would be great, but nobody's forcing you to routinely give up one of your kidneys because "your relative could really use it."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: November 12, 2014, 01:12:10 am »

What Bauglir said, I can see the moral arguments for taking away some rights (like the right to buy alcohol) from a pregnant woman given being pregnant was a choice she made in the first place, aka abortion and birth control are available and free. But forced surgery? Come on.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8578 on: November 12, 2014, 01:41:58 am »

Ok, so in the case of an OD'ing mother, we are of the opinion the State & local health care providers should stand by and hope for the best.

What about laws regarding harmful behavior?
Should the mother be held accountable for attempted/actual murder in the above case?

What about a woman deliberately throwing herself down the stairs? Arrested? Charged? (in all cases, we're assuming the most extreme case of the woman being full-term)

And then 'risky' behavior- should skydiving mommas be illegal? If not, could she be held liable for manslaughter if the child is lost in a mishap resulting directly from the 'risky' behavior?

Hm, howabout a shit sandwich.
Say a mother just got diagnosed with aggressive cancer at 22 weeks pregnant, (the earliest reasonable fetal personhood). Lets say she's had a dozen kids already, isn't particularly enamored by the most recent addition, and wants to get surgery for the cancer & begin aggressive chemotherapy immediately, child be damned.
Let's also say she's against pre-term labor induction & c-section, for the sake of making a rather graceless-but-convenient hypothetical.
Can she get the full dose? Is she responsible for injury to the child, and in taking full doses committing a crime? Are the doctors liable for enabling it?
Should she be limited by law to low-doses or of only 'safe' types of chemo-treatment? (potentially sacrificing her health for that of the babe) Are the doctors liable for withholding treatment?

-edit
Ooh, in the case of the drugged-up mom & impending damage to the fetus: if not surgery, what about other non-voluntary/forced treatments? Say a Narcan injection, or somehow force-feeding a self-poisoned lady activated charcoal?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:03:12 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: November 12, 2014, 02:03:45 am »

Ok, so in the case of an OD'ing mother, we are of the opinion the State & local health care providers should stand by and hope for the best.
[...]
What about a woman deliberately throwing herself down the stairs? Arrested? Charged? (in all cases, we're assuming the most extreme case of the woman being full-term)
Are you talking about someone trying to induce abortion themselves?  This shouldn't happen if you give them access to medical abortion facilities.  In any case it sounds like the best response to both of these situations would be psychological treatment rather than slapping them with absurd murder charges.
And then 'risky' behavior- should skydiving mommas be illegal? If not, could she be held liable for manslaughter if the child is lost in a mishap resulting directly from the 'risky' behavior?
It's up to the company involved to decide whether what they're doing is dangerous to pregnant women (or anyone else with a medical condition).  If it is then they should refuse to let pregnant women participate.  If they let pregnant women participate in spite of an elevated risk to them they should be charged with failing to protect the safety of their clients.

If it's a case of a woman tricking the company then there should maybe be some legal consequence (probably a civil case for damages to their business) but a manslaughter charge would be ridiculous, even if you completely believe in fetal personhood this action would not qualify at all.
Hm, howabout a shit sandwich.
Say a mother just got diagnosed with aggressive cancer at 22 weeks pregnant, (the earliest reasonable fetal personhood). Lets say she's had a dozen kids already, isn't particularly enamored by the most recent addition, and wants to get surgery for the cancer & begin aggressive chemotherapy immediately, child be damned.
Let's also say she's against pre-term labor induction & c-section, for the sake of making a rather graceless-but-convenient hypothetical.
Can she get the full dose? Is she responsible for injury to the child, and in taking full doses committing a crime? Are the doctors liable for enabling it?
Should she be limited by law to low-doses or of only 'safe' types of chemo-treatment? (potentially sacrificing her health for that of the babe) Are the doctors liable for withholding treatment?
This is actually really easy: women have the right to decide what happens to their bodies (like all human beings), so the answers are yes, no, nonsense question, no, yes if they do respectively.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 759