Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247624 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8595 on: November 12, 2014, 09:39:55 am »

No you apply legal sanctions like under the current system
"Pick up that can, citizen!"
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:29 am »

No you apply legal sanctions like under the current system
"Pick up that can, citizen!"
*ahem*

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: November 12, 2014, 09:58:13 am »

Can anyone name a single time when people voluntarily refusing to take vaccines has posed a threat to U.S. national security, or even come close to it? And anyway, the unvaccinated only pose a risk to other unvaccinated, a minority by any measure. If people are concerned about getting sick from viruses, they... get the vaccine.

Not to mention that many vaccines have not gone through the same level of testing by the FDA that nearly all other drugs have, and legally obligating people to take untested medications opens up windows for all kinds of lawsuits, regardless of whether they're justified.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: November 12, 2014, 10:08:56 am »

Why isn't the child a part of her body anymore? Because the tyke isn't enveloped? How does this logic apply to other things that can be enveloped?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a really stupid argument, I don't think you can honestly believe it works.  When an embryo or fetus is within the womb it's entirely dependent on the mother's blood supply for survival, just like all the other parts of her body and unlike those silly examples you're giving.  If it's something that is using your heart, your lungs, your blood to survive then it is part of your body (if you're about to respond with some stupid parasitic example: yes, I have no problem with people removing parasites from their bodies).  This is obviously not the case after the baby is born, the umbilical cord can simply be severed and the baby will survive without relying on the mother's organs.
So I'm gonna ignore the parts that basically say "I'm right just because" and the parts where you completely ignore the argument about birth not altering anything about the child itself. But riddle me this: Right before birth the baby is obviously no longer dependant on the mother's blood or organs for its continued survival. Are you arguing that it's not a person simply because it is inside of her? Because then there's plenty of innuendo you need to address...

Edit: Vaccines are hardly untested, and not getting a vaccination endangers primarily those who cannot be vaccinated themselves: Newborns, the elderly, cancer patients etc.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: November 12, 2014, 10:14:00 am »

Can anyone name a single time when people voluntarily refusing to take vaccines has posed a threat to U.S. national security, or even come close to it? And anyway, the unvaccinated only pose a risk to other unvaccinated, a minority by any measure. If people are concerned about getting sick from viruses, they... get the vaccine.

Not to mention that many vaccines have not gone through the same level of testing by the FDA that nearly all other drugs have, and legally obligating people to take untested medications opens up windows for all kinds of lawsuits, regardless of whether they're justified.

You.... you do realize that some people can't get vaccines for various reasons, such as compromised immune systems or being a young baby right?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: November 12, 2014, 11:02:07 am »

Why isn't the child a part of her body anymore? Because the tyke isn't enveloped? How does this logic apply to other things that can be enveloped?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a really stupid argument, I don't think you can honestly believe it works.  When an embryo or fetus is within the womb it's entirely dependent on the mother's blood supply for survival, just like all the other parts of her body and unlike those silly examples you're giving.  If it's something that is using your heart, your lungs, your blood to survive then it is part of your body (if you're about to respond with some stupid parasitic example: yes, I have no problem with people removing parasites from their bodies).  This is obviously not the case after the baby is born, the umbilical cord can simply be severed and the baby will survive without relying on the mother's organs.
So I'm gonna ignore the parts that basically say "I'm right just because" and the parts where you completely ignore the argument about birth not altering anything about the child itself. But riddle me this: Right before birth the baby is obviously no longer dependant on the mother's blood or organs for its continued survival. Are you arguing that it's not a person simply because it is inside of her? Because then there's plenty of innuendo you need to address...
It does not matter whether it's a person or not. That's the whole point of the bodily autonomy argument he's making! Let's say, for the sake of not even bothering with this red herring argument, that personhood begins at conception. There is no need to clarify when somebody is or is not a person for the sake of this particular conversation.

Now, given that that's the case, we have the rights of two people to consider. When that happens, you don't generally pass laws imposing medical rules on the one for the sake of the other - the exceptions that make it "generally" instead of "ever" occur only when the imposition on the one's rights is so small, and the benefit to the other is so large, that there's no meaningful question. You don't mandate people with two functioning kidneys to donate one to somebody in need. But let's go further! Let's take the example of somebody who does agree to donate one.

You don't let people be imprisoned for negligent homicide if they (to use an example as convoluted as some of the ones I've seen) sleep through their alarm, miss their appointment for the surgery, and the recipient dies in the meantime while it gets rescheduled. You don't let them get sued if they lose a kidney to a vicious mauling by their pet crocodile. If they got drunk and wandered into traffic, an accident might be ruled their fault, but they aren't going to be compelled to donate the organ anyway if their kidneys are damaged in a way that makes it unclear whether or not they'll be able to survive with just one.

Yet here we are, needing to argue whether a woman in basically similar scenarios ought to be compelled to undergo serious medical procedures against her will because of the child's rights, or punished for failure to take adequate care of her body for the sake of the child's rights, as though we as a society do this in any other sphere.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:39 am »

Donating a kidney is much more invasive than giving birth. What you are saying is I should not be obliged to rescue someone from drowning because I might catch a cold!
Okay, that was too far to the other side of the spectrum, but I do believe the right to life (applicable once the fetus has passed the point where we can consider it a person, wherever that point may be) should not be trumped by the right to bodily autonomy. They need to be weighed against each other - I'm not arguing the trumping should go the other way around!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: November 12, 2014, 11:14:42 am »

Donating a kidney is much more invasive than giving birth. What you are saying is I should not be obliged to rescue someone from drowning because I might catch a cold!
Okay, that was too far to the other side of the spectrum, but I do believe the right to life (applicable once the fetus has passed the point where we can consider it a person, wherever that point may be) should not be trumped by the right to bodily autonomy. They need to be weighed against each other - I'm not arguing the trumping should go the other way around!
This is actually a dialogue that appears in situations aside from abortion: Personal Freedoms versus the responsibility one has to other people

Very interesting, I think i'm back into watching this thread.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: November 12, 2014, 11:34:36 am »

A) You're curently at risk of outbreak from several preventable disease because of it

B) That's not how vaccine works. It prevent the spread of the disease but doesn't guarantee a 0% transmission.

About the rest of the debate, you can make guidelines, but you cannot anticipate every convulated cases.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: November 12, 2014, 11:41:34 am »

Sure, but we're arguing about the guidelines. You're rather conservative and European, right? What's your stance?
The Bay12 postcard club

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: November 12, 2014, 11:52:47 am »

Bodily autonomy isn't a personal freedom, it's an incredibly basic right that is respected in all but the most extreme circumstances (to ignore it you basically need a) that person to be incapable of giving consent and b) that person to be in urgent need of medical help).  I cannot think of any other case where it would be regarded as remotely acceptable to violate someone's bodily integrity in order to force them to fulfill their "responsibility to other people".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: November 12, 2014, 12:06:17 pm »

Donating a kidney is much more invasive than giving birth.

Citation needed

Especially because everyone's talking about fucking C-Sections

What you are saying is I should not be obliged to rescue someone from drowning because I might catch a cold!

Excuse me? Childbirth causes irreparable damage to most women's bodies, pain that's literally off the scale of what human bodies can process, and in 15% of cases results in life-threatening complications.

You want to argue that people should be forced to go through that for someone else's life, then go ahead, but don't fucking pretend that it's a walk in the park.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: November 12, 2014, 12:12:54 pm »

And that is why people say that men deciding abortion law is skeevy. Because those are the risks in bringing a fetus to term. And it's all too easy for a man, consciously or not, to disregard those risks.

And then you can add in the overpopulation issue, too many kids up for adoption already, the idea of a resentful childhood if the mother was forced to carry to term, and the much much less (if non-existent) risk to medically - provided legal abortion...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: November 12, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »

What you are saying is I should not be obliged to rescue someone from drowning because I might catch a cold!

Excuse me? Childbirth causes irreparable damage to most women's bodies, pain that's literally off the scale of what human bodies can process, and in 15% of cases results in life-threatening complications.

You want to argue that people should be forced to go through that for someone else's life, then go ahead, but don't fucking pretend that it's a walk in the park.
I'd like a quote for the 15% thing, and one involving proper medical supervision, too. Oh, also quotes on the irreparable damage and pain meds not being a thing. For everything else, read the sentence that literally comes after what you quoted.

Plus childbirth does not involve removal of whole organs. Well, removal of the baby's organs, but that's a level of pedantry even I won't step down to.

Leafsnail, did you see the bit about weighing rights against each other? Because religious freedom is a right as well, but I hope we all agree it doesn't justify, well, many things - animal cruelty comes to mind as a rather non-controversial example.

go: Yeah, sorry 'bout that - but it kinda makes my point even clearer.
(I even heard once you're supposed to punch the drowning person before starting the rescue to stun them. Never got a reliable source for that, though...)
The Bay12 postcard club

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: November 12, 2014, 12:20:28 pm »

One thing I find odd- a woman can choose whether or not to bring a child to term, but if the child's father disagrees he still has to pay child support.

you can thank one-sided applications of feminism for this

if the mother can decide she does not wish for a child, the father should be able to do so also on similar rules

there's a lot of stuff regarding custody, child support, etc. which haven't been modified to take into account a reality where a woman can actually earn money and we have acknowledged that fathers are parents too but i'd rather wait for someone who gives enough a shit to not leave the thread when the obvious insults are lobbed their way for mentioning it even to go ahead and start a discussion
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 759