Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244284 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9795 on: April 02, 2015, 08:32:37 am »

Yes, clearly Israel is the victim here. Despite the fact that it still has nuclear weapons pointed at Europe.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: April 02, 2015, 08:34:50 am »

How is that relevant to the UN's stance against Israel?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: April 02, 2015, 08:36:28 am »

How is that relevant to the UN's stance against Israel?
The UN doesn't like rogue states, especially rogue states with appalling human rights records.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: April 02, 2015, 08:41:14 am »

I'd hardly call Israel a rogue state. And did you even read the article? Their man rights record has nothing to do with it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: April 02, 2015, 08:44:51 am »

Here is an interesting article containing generic talking points you've read dozens of times before:

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: April 02, 2015, 08:48:53 am »

I'd hardly call Israel a rogue state. And did you even read the article? Their man rights record has nothing to do with it.
It has unregulated nuclear weapons, has them aimed at countries that it is not in a threatened or actual state of war with, refuses to officially acknowledge said weapons, has used conventional incendiary weapons and bombs indiscriminately against civilian populations, and has historically attacked neutral parties that posed no threat.

It is effectively a rogue state.

And yet, the UN has attempted to ask Israel to please stop bombing civilians too many times?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: April 02, 2015, 08:53:42 am »

The reason Israel gets condemned so much is probably because there's no way to pass a meaningful resolution against it - the US will always veto it.  Iran doesn't need to be condemned 20 times per year because it has actual real sanctions against it, and it's always possible to pass more if needed.  Same goes for North Korea.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: April 02, 2015, 08:56:42 am »

It's like if the President beat someone up and then pardoned himself.  Yeah there are people who have done worse things, but the fact that the President is not facing any kind of measures for what he's done due to his privileged position means that a lot of people would be criticizing him.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: April 02, 2015, 08:57:02 am »

The reason Israel gets condemned so much is probably because there's no way to pass a meaningful resolution against it - the US will always veto it.  Iran doesn't need to be condemned 20 times per year because it has actual real sanctions against it, and it's always possible to pass more if needed.  Same goes for North Korea.
It's like if the President beat someone up and then pardoned himself.  Yeah there are people who have done worse things, but the fact that the President is not facing any kind of measures for what he's done due to his privileged position means that a lot of people would be criticizing him.
This is probably true, except Israel is not nearly important as the President, in the grand scheme of things. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: April 02, 2015, 09:22:13 am »

That's not reall true. The fact is that Israel has no allies to speak of safe the US, while there are a crapton of arab countries who can get brownies point domestically by taking up the Palestinian cause at no cost. So yeah, Israel is a dickish, rogue state, but it gets called out much more than other terrible states for political reasons.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: April 02, 2015, 09:24:44 am »

They get criticism but no actual consequences.  Let me get my tiny violin.

I mean maybe they wouldn't have alienated the rest of their western allies if they weren't an apartheid state but hey.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:31:37 am by Leafsnail »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: April 02, 2015, 09:34:25 am »

And Syria? Father Putin keeps his hands over Assad...
The Bay12 postcard club

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: April 02, 2015, 01:10:08 pm »

There are a lot of states that you can't pass resolutions against. Namely, each of the five powers and their allies. Libya was an exception, but that's quite unlikely to happen again given how angry Russia was afterwards.
It has unregulated nuclear weapons, has them aimed at countries that it is not in a threatened or actual state of war with, refuses to officially acknowledge said weapons, has used conventional incendiary weapons and bombs indiscriminately against civilian populations, and has historically attacked neutral parties that posed no threat.

It is effectively a rogue state.

And yet, the UN has attempted to ask Israel to please stop bombing civilians too many times?
That's not what rogue state means though. You can't just apply words without knowing their definition. If violence against civilians, for example, had anything to do with being rogue, all the world over would be rogue.

Rogue state refers to a certain combination of terrorism, proliferation, and authoritarianism. Israel is hardly authoritarian to its own citizens (which is all that matters for this definition ), I can't remember many terrorists incidents Israel has encouraged, and claiming proliferation is hardly going to impress me, given their anti-nuclear stance (Having nuclear weapons does not make you a proliferator by itself; just think what that would imply). Claiming they have nuclear weapons pointed at European capitals is not impressive when a) there are only rumors, and b) pointing them is hardly the same as intent to use them. If russia was invaded they'd probably nuke Europe too, but they aren't rogue

Israel is not rogue. A pariah perhaps, and you might argue a bully, but not rogue.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: April 02, 2015, 04:29:11 pm »

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:12 pm »

Due to having a democratic (non-totalitarian) government, Israel cannot be a rogue state. That still doesn't change a thing about all the shit they've pulled in Palestine.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 759