Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247382 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10260 on: June 13, 2015, 03:28:16 am »

Well, Ispil, we didn't want to say anything, but...

:P
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: June 13, 2015, 03:30:48 am »

... But get out.

(<3)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: June 13, 2015, 04:33:47 am »

But again, race is not only about genetics. And you can't just switch cultures, look at the scorn heaped on whites with dread and other trying to "act black".

Honestly, I think the only lesson here is that race, just like gender, is a concept that we have to get rid of. It's silly to expect people to fit in a neat category.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10263 on: June 13, 2015, 06:08:53 am »

The definition of race is one of those words everyone redefines, but I would take it to be some holistic term taking into account one's ethnicity and one's culture of upbringing. I think it'd be silly to get rid of a word in the hope that differences cease existing, because they will continue to exist irregardless and all that will happen is that the rest of the world which holds onto such differences will laugh at us heartily.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: June 13, 2015, 07:41:50 am »

Honestly, I think the only lesson here is that race, just like gender, is a concept that we have to get rid of. It's silly to expect people to fit in a neat category.
Objection! You can't 'get rid of' the concept of gender, because it is  too deeply ingrained in society (and our genetics). For the same reason you can't 'get rid of' the concept of race. Instead of combating the concept itself, we should try to frame it the right way: "So you're black - who cares?" Somewhat like we didn't get rid of the concept of nationality in Europe, we just framed it differently. "So you're French - who cares?"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10265 on: June 13, 2015, 07:47:46 am »

You cannot maintain diversity by ignoring your heritage either, I would not expect a kind answer in reply were I to go to a Welshman and tell him 'so you're welsh, who cares?' :/

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: June 13, 2015, 08:49:07 am »

Eh, there's different levels of caring, and I was too tired to capture the right nuance.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: June 13, 2015, 09:40:42 am »

Well, we're making good inway toward destroying gender I think. The fact that you can now be accepted as a woman with man parts is blurring the line of what gender is. The fact that man and woman can now do the same jobs, hold the same responsibility is also blurring the traditional gender roles. There is less and less difference in what it means to be a man or a woman. I'd argue that gender as a meaningful social category is one its way out.

P.S. I suspect it's again one of those case where we agree but frame it differently. If one day it comes to the point where "You're a woman? So what?" is a reality, I'd say that's the day genders become meaningless.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: June 13, 2015, 09:47:04 am »

You cannot maintain diversity by ignoring your heritage either, I would not expect a kind answer in reply were I to go to a Welshman and tell him 'so you're welsh, who cares?' :/
I contest that assertion. The idea that you need to be taught how to be different (thus making people diverse) is kind of ridiculous.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10269 on: June 13, 2015, 10:01:37 am »

I contest that assertion. The idea that you need to be taught how to be different (thus making people diverse) is kind of ridiculous.
I wasn't asserting that tho m9

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: June 13, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »

Only real problem I see with "cultural appropriation"[And really, when you adopt a different culture, the culture is still there afterwards. So its really more like sharing.], is when its done by people who don't actually know or respect the culture they're emulating/embracing/appropriating/whatevering. Then its hella rude. Otherwise, it seems fine.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: June 13, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »

Gender and culture aren't on their way out. For every blurred line, there are ten thousand who fit the definition. Yes, there are transgender people blurring the line....there are also many, many, many more semi-stereotypical girls/boys/women/men out there.

As for culture, it is one of the only things that keeps a country as a cohesive whole. Many historical issues have arisen over the lack of a shared national identity, the decline of the Spanish empire being one.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: June 15, 2015, 03:59:43 pm »

Gender and culture aren't on their way out. For every blurred line, there are ten thousand who fit the definition. Yes, there are transgender people blurring the line....there are also many, many, many more semi-stereotypical girls/boys/women/men out there.

As for culture, it is one of the only things that keeps a country as a cohesive whole. Many historical issues have arisen over the lack of a shared national identity, the decline of the Spanish empire being one.
Indeed, the common ground of culture and pride in it, and pride in one's nation, has kept many countries together in difficult times.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:38 am »

Quote from: Obligatory quote

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.
The last two lines are of particular interest here.
The Bay12 postcard club

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: June 16, 2015, 10:20:06 am »

I don't see any evidence that she's "transracial".  That movement is pretty much exclusively made up of mentally ill people on tumblr accounts, and also pretty much everything she did was consistent with her just being a cynical fraud.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/rachel-dolezal-discrimination-lawsuit-786451
NAACP official who today resigned in the face of evidence that she masqueraded as black once sued Howard University for denying her teaching posts and a scholarship because she was a white woman
Does that seem like the action of someone who genuinely believes they are black

e: I'm referring to "transracial" as in the claim being made about Dolezal, rather than to the real phenomenon that occurs if a child is adopted by parents of a different race.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:31:52 am by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 759