Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247524 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10410 on: June 27, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »

I'm late to the party, but, congrats to all you LGBT folks out there and welcome to the first of what I hope are many rights promised to every American that you've been denied.

I found an interesting quote in Thomas' dissent.

"Religious liberty is about freedom of action in matters of religion generally," Justice Clarence Thomas said in his dissent, "and the scope of that liberty is directly correlated to the civil restraints placed upon religious practice."

He's saying that civil restraints imposed on religious freedoms narrow their scope, allowing less free exercise of religion.

But his statement also states the obvious: there ARE civil restraints on the free practice of religion. One generally accepted civil restraint on religion we've held forever is that it's not ok to kill someone as an act of expressing your religion. What we need to come to, and what the entire body of legal jurisprudence has pointed to for the last 100 years, is that not discriminating is also a valued and necessary civil restraint for a healthy, functioning and just society, just as much as not murdering each other is.

The ruling on housing that came along with this points to non-discrimination as a value the court still believes is necessary, even if they didn't come right out and say it applies to LGBT rights as well.

But I believe the next question before the court will come down to: is discrimination a constitutionally protected free expression of religion. When it comes to the business of law, rights and privileges I think the answer, eventually one day, will be no, it's not. You can discriminate against someone to the degree you don't talk to them, be friends with them, invite them to your social events and gatherings. At a maximum, the right to refuse service in a private business to anyone you want for any reason you want will probably stay.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:56:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: June 27, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »

At a maximum, the right to refuse service in a private business to anyone you want for any reason you want will probably stay.

I had someone mention this to me in a discussion last night. That's going to cause a lot of problems in short-term if people actually try and use this to refuse service to (pick a group), because it's basically hanging a huge sign over your front door that reads "ACLU STOP BY HERE FOR FREE PUBLICITY."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: June 27, 2015, 02:19:23 pm »

One generally accepted civil restraint on religion we've held forever is that it's not ok to kill someone as an act of expressing your religion.
Is it any more illegal than any other murder though?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: June 27, 2015, 02:21:29 pm »

Usually the "Right to refuse service" only gets invoked against entitled assholes that are there causing a scene.

You know, the kind of people that call 911 because they ran out of ketchup at McDonalds, and have dry fries-- Or who insist on *trying* to invoke the race card on trumped up allegations. "You are racist because you don't carry %popular ethnic personality% branded merchandise!" etc.

It is almost never used to tell people of a certain ethnicity to get lost.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: June 27, 2015, 02:34:06 pm »

There's the "No shirt, no shoes, no service" rule as well, which is made on the grounds of decency and public health.

Is it any more illegal than any other murder though?

I knew someone was going to latch on to that. Damn my lack of parenthetical statements.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: June 27, 2015, 02:44:56 pm »

Well the issue is that murder is something that's bad anyway, so it's not specifically an issue of restricting religion. Banning non-heterosexual marriage is only for and only affects its own issue.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: June 27, 2015, 02:50:06 pm »

It is almost never used to tell people of a certain ethnicity to get lost.
It's almost like there was a long and difficult legal struggle to make it so you can't do that.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: June 27, 2015, 05:53:32 pm »

Usually the "Right to refuse service" only gets invoked against entitled assholes that are there causing a scene.

Sure, but people near here are already screaming about being "forced to perform same sex marriages" and demanding "protection" from having to do what's legally mandated now.

The right to refuse service is the foremost argument I've seen used in that defense. Sorry, "defense".
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: June 27, 2015, 09:31:45 pm »

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bobby-jindal-lets-just-get-rid-the-court

Wow. And finally it comes out. The far right republicans are just openly hostile to the constitution whenever it does anything they don't like. What's amazing, where was all this backlash 5 years ago when citizens united became the crock giving corporations person status (when it is to their liking)?

When people find out that NO, they are not the be all end all for what the constitution says, they go nuts. What they're essentially doing is trying to set themsevles up as "normal" and "right" and anybody who disagrees with them is dead bang wrong. It's bullshit propaganda and incredibly insulting.

That's the problem with modern religion in many cases. It has become the notion that shutting your eyes and ears to anything outside of what people tell you is in a book you've probably never even read all the way through works. It doesn't.

I've read several religious texts all the way through and nobody follows half of the stuff in them and they'd look at you like you were nuts if you said they should. There's a lot about helping he poor in the bible, for instance. Not a one of the hard right wingers likes the idea of paying for any of that. Frankly, it's amazing.

The economy and the world in general are going to hell in a handbag, but please by all means, let's blame it all on the gays for doing... what has been going on for thousands of years without a hitch?

I am tired of being the world's scapegoat.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:33:24 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: June 27, 2015, 10:21:58 pm »

Well of course extremist conservatives have been saying all sorts of insane stuff about this.  Particularly claiming churches will be forced to betray their blatantly selective beliefs and give gay marriages.  Don't worry, they still enjoy protected tax status AND freedom to discriminate...

But, woah, this guy's a governor.  Yeah I know it's Louisiana but...  As a North Carolina resident that's still shocking.  Even as hyperbole, suggesting the dissolution of the supreme court is unbelievably crazy for a governor of a state.

And I'm still not sure that this was a constitutional issue.  I'm still examining the possibility that the supreme court overstepped its power while doing a very good, overdue, basic civil rights thing.  But for a governor to suggest removing a branch of our government... wow.

Edit: Replaced NC with North Carolina.  I don't know every state abbreviation, maybe other people don't either.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:24:31 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: June 27, 2015, 10:40:07 pm »

*shrugs* If they did, it's an overstep that's been performed repeatedly in the past (read: It almost certainly isn't.). The court decision is precisely in line with several other similar cases that have included stuff under the 14th's protection.

Which is actually sorta' the problem. Little bit more reading has shown it was actually a kinda' shitty decision,* primarily because of how little it actually did, as well as being a kinda' poor bit of actually... judge-y stuff. Instead of actually solving the goddamn issue on a judicial level (like, say, making sexual orientation a strict scrutiny issue, which could have been done years ago and nipped a whole hell of a lot of bullshit in the bud), the SCOTUS has just sorta' brought SSM whole cloth and singularly into the 14th (very roughly paraphrasing, and with a very much lay understanding of the legal stuff involved). One of the more insightful bits I've read so far was this post, on another forum (you'd be fairly well benefited mostly ignoring the rest of the thread it's in :V), decently detailing a fair amount of the actual issues involved.

It almost certainly wasn't constitutional overreach, though. Bit on the bad side of craft, but historically well within the court's power, insofar as I've been able to tell, if a power they've been fairly careful about exercising.

*Mind you, the consequence of SSM being legal is goddamn golden. It could have just been done significantly better.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: June 27, 2015, 11:48:06 pm »

Mm. There's pretty good odds I've actually been by (though not in) the church that burnt down in Tallahassee... that actually could have been incidental, for what it's worth -- we've been having some pretty good storms for the last bit down here, and a tree limb coming down on the power line is definitely a thing that happens from time to time in this region. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't, though :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:27 am »

"Save our land, join the Klan" has a nice ring to it. But it's just not as good as "Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi Party".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: June 28, 2015, 12:48:05 am »

I think you're reading too much into this, what we have here is a presidential candidate that, despite being a governor, has struggled to get enough name recognition to get more than a couple percents of the votes in a overcrowded primary, and is ready to shout any amount of insanities to get his name in the papers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 759