Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 188668 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1440 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36:11 am »

After having already spent $60 on a game that doesn't really keep my attention beyond a few hours, I am hesitant to give them more money. I have gone into full EA boycott mode. However, they do have new leadership over there, and maybe that new leadership is the driving force behind making changes to make the game more appealing to its core audience rather than trying to turn every game into a Zynga game.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 15, 2014, 10:48:41 am »

Leadership is only a piece of the puzzle. Everyone below them has to be compliant but they also have ideas of their own.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 15, 2014, 10:50:33 am »

How could they make the space to build so small?

IDK who or how or why...I just know its garbage...I am just waiting for the expansion pack that larger city sizes come in...probably for $30

They were like "cities are small so that they suck and depend on other cities, so we can force people to go online".

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:51 pm »

"Let's shit directly into their hopeful, upturned faces so they are eager to shell out cash for DLC to make the game decent"
-EA
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 15, 2014, 01:51:40 pm »

Well, since we're being negative about EA anyway.

Implementing an offline mode means that EA can shut down the game's servers without repercussions.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 15, 2014, 02:35:38 pm »

Implementing an offline mode means that EA can shut down the game's servers without repercussions.

Yup. People have been abandoning for awhile anyway so they can just close servers until only one authentication server is left so they can bitch about pirates. Not that pirates care since it's a crappy SimCity anyway.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 15, 2014, 04:49:58 pm »

Yup. People have been abandoning for awhile anyway so they can just close servers until only one authentication server is left so they can bitch about pirates. Not that pirates care since it's a crappy SimCity anyway.
But you can get free DLC to get a Nissan(R)(TM) Leaf(R)(TM) Charging(R)(TM) Station(R)(TM)!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 15, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »

But you can get free DLC to get a Nissan(R)(TM) Leaf(R)(TM) Charging(R)(TM) Station(R)(TM)!

Billboards. Yay. Hang on while I LP it at all angles for free advertising.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 15, 2014, 05:06:36 pm »

I don't wear logos because I feel like I'm advertising for the company; if they want me to shill for them I should get paid or get the clothing for free. I know that's kinda opposite how most people view it, but I attach zero, even negative, value to the prestige associated with wearing a logo. It's debasing. You know how companies pay people to put the advertising decals on their cars? If I'm gonna wear a shirt with a logo on it I better get a monthly check.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 15, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »

That wont change the repercussions at all...I believe I read somewhere that they mentioned about how down the road they would implement offline mode if they took servers down anyways. They can yank them whenever and probably will at some random point in the future.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 15, 2014, 05:53:44 pm »

There's generally no reason to keep the servers up forever. Any claims to the contrary, at some point the company will look at the money spent maintaining the game and just decide to let it die - even if it's still actually making a profit.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 15, 2014, 07:13:29 pm »

There's generally no reason to keep the servers up forever. Any claims to the contrary, at some point the company will look at the money spent maintaining the game and just decide to let it die - even if it's still actually making a profit.
Game Dev Tycoon should enlighten anyone to why.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 19, 2014, 08:58:23 pm »

Since the SimCity 4 thread is long dead, I think I will ask here. I'm going to get 4, with all the dlc's and whatnot. Are there any mods that are "Must have" for SimCity 4?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 19, 2014, 09:00:10 pm »

Network Addon Msomething-probably-mod (NAM)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 19, 2014, 09:04:54 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98