Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 658452 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1605 on: August 06, 2012, 07:36:46 pm »

Men like big bouncy breasts, being a coolest muthafucka around, blasting off heads, and throwing money at hookers.
Either I'm not a man, or your statements are a little too generalized.

It's okay if you like flat chested women, But who doesn't like violence?
Approximately 15% of my friends.
Violence in video games? Because I was talking about Duke Nukem, where you could do all of that. you could even throw money at strippers

Highly graphic depiction of a man paying for a lap dance. the faint of heart shouldn't look
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 06, 2012, 07:39:36 pm »

@megaman
Okay, let's do this. Serious mode engaged.

There are "strong" and "weak" inductive arguments. A "weak" one is a reasonable position to take in light of lack of evidence, which is your argument. However, no reasonable person would but much weight behind a weak inductive argument; it would be a "yeah probably" thing at best.

Furthermore, it's impossible to have a truly weak inductive argument that is also a reasonable position to take when it involves people. Why? You've dealt with people your entire life. It is absolutely unreasonable to assume due to skin color, race, gender, sexual orientation, and yes even interests and hobbies that another person would be vastly different enough to give credence to these stereotypes being ubiquitous. You have plenty of evidence that people are varied within groups. You have no reason to believe they all act the same, no matter what brings them together.

People make these weak inductive arguments and put weight behind them because that was a smart thing to do when we were still chucking spears at each other. Dude from another tribe looks different; kill him before he steals our land and food. That is no longer the case, as much as people want to believe it (immigrants be takin' our jobs!).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 06, 2012, 07:44:08 pm »

Also, we all have the internet now dude.  I'm sure even the most pants-on-head retarded of rednecks is capable of using Google.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 06, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »

@megaman
Okay, let's do this. Serious mode engaged.

There are "strong" and "weak" inductive arguments. A "weak" one is a reasonable position to take in light of lack of evidence, which is your argument. However, no reasonable person would but much weight behind a weak inductive argument; it would be a "yeah probably" thing at best.

Furthermore, it's impossible to have a truly weak inductive argument that is also a reasonable position to take when it involves people. Why? You've dealt with people your entire life. It is absolutely unreasonable to assume due to skin color, race, gender, sexual orientation, and yes even interests and hobbies that another person would be vastly different enough to give credence to these stereotypes being ubiquitous. You have plenty of evidence that people are varied within groups. You have no reason to believe they all act the same, no matter what brings them together.

People make these weak inductive arguments and put weight behind them because that was a smart thing to do when we were still chucking spears at each other. Dude from another tribe looks different; kill him before he steals our land and food. That is no longer the case, as much as people want to believe it (immigrants be takin' our jobs!).

And now you're putting words into whoever-it-is's mouth. I, for one, never said they were "ubiquitous", that I can "assume that anyone in that group will act that way". I'm saying that there is probably going to be a reason for these things. Games sold on sex and violence sell. There's a reason for that.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:56 pm »

I'm putting words in no one's mouth, since I was responding to Megaman's original assertion that pre-judging people based stereotypes can be reasonable. Not your stuff.

For your assertion... yeah I'll admit there are correlations. Correlation != causation, though. For example, I'd argue many of our gender related stereotypes are social constructs rather than anything intrinsic (and the ones that actually are intrinsic are vastly overblown).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 06, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »

I'm sure even the most pants-on-head retarded of rednecks is capable of using Google.

You've obviously never worked tech support.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 06, 2012, 08:37:46 pm »

I'm putting words in no one's mouth, since I was responding to Megaman's original assertion that pre-judging people based stereotypes can be reasonable.
That's not what I was trying to say at all, I'm saying that PEOPLE who do such a thing can be, otherwise, reasonable. It just takes more information suggesting that it is indeed flawed to judge based on stereotypes to be readily available, and in a way the layman will come in contact with it more often, to cause a change in thought for the better.
Hello Hunam

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: August 06, 2012, 08:40:13 pm »

I killed three guys this one time, but otherwise, I'm a pacifist.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 06, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »

Yes, because you realized that killing was wrong, and pacifism was the way.
Hello Hunam

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: August 06, 2012, 10:04:31 pm »

Also, we all have the internet now dude.  I'm sure even the most pants-on-head retarded of rednecks is capable of using Google.
You highly overestimate people. Google-fu is still much less common than it needs to be, and most people would still rather post trivial, inane questions on their facebook or twitter than spend a third of the time typing a fifth of that to do a google search.

As for weird card games though, this one takes the cake: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1189988320/tentacle-bento-by-soda-pop-miniatures?ref=category
Though apparently Kickstarter suspended funding (dunno if it was the subject matter or that they were advertising on kickstarter that they were taking donations after Kickstarter ended [against the TOS iirc; and that it got to the end before being suspended leads me to believe it was this one]). Though this one isn't creepy so much as over the top to the point of satire; it's basically 'softcore tentacle hentai: the card game'.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:12:19 pm by alway »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 06, 2012, 11:43:10 pm »

I don't think those games are being misogynistic, they are just catering to their audience, men. Men like big bouncy breasts, being a coolest muthafucka around, blasting off heads, and throwing money at hookers.

It's why I liked Duke Nukem back in the day, Why I really enjoyed bayonetta. Whining that games are disrespecting women won't solve a damn thing, as long as those games sell (and sell they do) they will. The only way developers will make games that cater to women is if there is a demand.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So your argument that they're not misogynistic, just that they're catering to misogyny? I don't see how that's different.

Contrary to popular belief, nobody does something just because there's a market for it. There's probably a market for horribly racist products. Reasonable people do not say "Oh, yeah, the KKK wanted to buy these so I made them since there was a market for it." It's still immoral to do produce bigoted stuff. Just because you're making money off it does not make it excusable.

edit: Admittedly, machismo and misogyny aren't identical. Duke Nukem is more of the former and sexy anime girl games are more of the latter.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:22 am »

the fu...

how'd we go from crappy KS projects to pacifism?
Because once people on this forum get bored about the original thread topic, then it goes into a discussion about things like misogyny and pacifism.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 07, 2012, 12:16:55 am »

Eh, it happens on every forum.
Hello Hunam

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:15 am »

I was expecting something funny to laugh at... but interesting this topic dried up.

I mean... It wasn't THAT long ago since we saw the greatest doorbell ringing simulator ever.

But what is on this page? A card game for people who want a pervy card game?

Come on people where is the solid calcified suck, the rage inducing terribleness, the visions of pain and misery. Where is the kickstarter gone wrong?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 07, 2012, 12:25:19 am »

It's like strip-mining turned up to eleven trillion. Eventually you just run out.
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 213