Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Cult of Bones  (Read 12159 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: The Cult of Bones
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 05:15:45 am »

I seem to recall someone making a fort in which he purposefully hunted fell moods, simply to see if he could pull off a Planepacked with fell moods.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 06:07:46 am »

I almost got a Fell Mood Artifact today, but then someone went berserk and killed the kid who had the mood.  Too bad, there were goblin parts involved.   :'(

If there were goblin parts, then it wasn't a fell mood - dwarves in fell moods claim a workshop and then start wandering around randomly until they spot a dwarf, at which point they run up and murder the dwarf, drag the corpse to the workshop, then immediately start their construction.
The kid claimed a butcher shop.  I thought that was a symptom of a fell mood?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 07:59:08 am »

I will join this cult of bones. I will push my monks to misery, for in misery they will find enlightenment
You have the right idea.  In order to understand the dwarf, the creature that rips the land and boils the sea, we must seek to cultivate the fell and macabre.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 08:57:17 am »

I almost got a Fell Mood Artifact today, but then someone went berserk and killed the kid who had the mood.  Too bad, there were goblin parts involved.   :'(

If there were goblin parts, then it wasn't a fell mood - dwarves in fell moods claim a workshop and then start wandering around randomly until they spot a dwarf, at which point they run up and murder the dwarf, drag the corpse to the workshop, then immediately start their construction.
The kid claimed a butcher shop.  I thought that was a symptom of a fell mood?
Nah, that's macabre not fell.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 09:24:36 am »

Fell moods happen when an unhappy dwarf gets a mood, claims a butchery or tannery, and then grabs a fellow dwarf to kill and produce an artifact.

Macabre moods happen normally, albeit rarely, and cause the dwarf to use bones for use in the artifact, though it can be any body parts.

Similar, but one requires murder while the other simply requires bits and bones.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 09:26:52 am »

I think the wiki page states that macabre moods also require unhappiness.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 09:46:02 am »

Ah, quite.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:51 am »

Heh, well there was a lot of unhappiness.  A forgotten beast broke up through the forge or a furnace, I think.  At least, there was no other way for it to get inside from below, and quite a bit later I found another FB in the forge room with all of the furnaces and forges gone.  Since I had been very pre-occupied, I can't say when the damage was done.  At any rate, this forgotten beast appeared in the stairwell from the forges.  I saw the liasion arrive at the same time and I evacuated everyone from the fortress.  I wanted the Dwarven caravan to deal with the FB.  Almost everyone got out.  However, unbeknownst to me, the caravan had been ambushed right at the edge of the map and never actually officially entered.  I found the remains of one trader and that was all, when the dust was settled. 

The forgotten beast was hanging inside the entryway and would not come out into the open, past the bridges and all of the traps.  I drafted my seven miners, the founders, into a pick-wielding squad and sent them at the FB.  The idiots wanted to run down and drop their picks so they could pick them up again, before they did anything else!  They all ran into the FB in great disorder, but finally managed to kill it.  Presumably they used their fists, or maybe the hafts of the picks.  Only two founders survived.  I let everyone back into the fortress, but after only about half had entered, one of the founders threw a tantrum and destroyed both of the bridges.  Since I was supervising burials at the time I did not realize this until I got messages that Dwarves were dying of hunger.  I had someone grab a pick and dig a by-pass of the bridge area.  Everyone outdoors was saved, who hadn't already died of hunger, but that was already too many deaths.  I was down to about 60 Dwarves, from close to 200, by the time I got everyone calmed down.  I had the bridges repaired and the by-pass sealed.  Life was shaky but improving.  I even had one surviving offspring of the founders, all of whom had died by then.  It was during the tantrum spiral above that the kid claimed the butcher shop.

Then a Vile Band of Darkness arrived.  No problem, I thought.  Their Axe Lord ran un-impeded across 21 lines of weapon traps made with three iron trap components each.  It was like the traps weren't even there.  He slaughtered almost everyone.  I released my three vampires in desperation, then realized I should keep one safe to preserve the fortress.  I managed with much difficulty to get him back into his cell and had him wall up the door from the inside.  In the end, I had him, one female Dwarf, and three offspring which were not hers.  I'm not sure why the goblin axe lord left without killing the last four normal Dwarves. 

I'm rebuilding from there at this moment.   :)  The new migrants are all relatives of the surviving female, and furthermore they provide links between several families who had been classed as separate clans prior to the disaster.  In the end most of them will probably turn out to be her relatives, including the three kids who came through it with her.  I did try last night to enter them into ancestry.com, but I got a headache part way through so I quit for the night.  I'd like to see what Ancestry's link-finding routine does with those names.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

MassDebater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 01:34:33 pm »

My very first fort had a fell mood. The dwarf ended up killing a noble to make a bone bin.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 02:23:39 pm »

I got fell mood. Dwarf killed one of his friends and made statue of him from his bones...
I am substantially more creeped out than I should be.

@Earlier, no. I am not the expedition leader. That's Kivish Alathust. I am not the mayor. That's Stukos Sakondomas. I'm not the baroness either, that's Kivish again.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »

I got fell mood. Dwarf killed one of his friends and made statue of him from his bones...
I like to imagine it's just his reassembled skeleton, like you see in museums and biology/medical classrooms.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »

All the right bones.

Not necessarily in the right order.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 03:06:50 pm »

All the right bones.

This is a statue of Urist McAssholeNoble in dwarf bone, Urist McAssholeNoble is shoving his head up his ass. This relates to the insulting of Urist McAssholeNoble by Urist McFellMood in the year 543.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 03:12:12 pm »

All the right bones.

This is a statue of Urist McAssholeNoble in dwarf bone, Urist McAssholeNoble is shoving his head up his ass. This relates to the insulting of Urist McAssholeNoble by Urist McFellMood in the year 543.

So very Xeivous.  Well done!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3