Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Wasteland 2!  (Read 34021 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland 2!
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »

Just wondering if anyone knows how/if this plays on low-end systems? I've got a pretty terrible laptop (which is below the min. required specs) but I can usually force through any not-too-graphically intensive game which doesn't need a steady frame rate. Any thoughts?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2014, 02:02:24 pm »

Just wondering if anyone knows how/if this plays on low-end systems? I've got a pretty terrible laptop (which is below the min. required specs) but I can usually force through any not-too-graphically intensive game which doesn't need a steady frame rate. Any thoughts?

It seems pretty poorly optimized, it ran sluggish on my desktop until I fiddled with the shadow settings.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2014, 04:07:56 pm »

Why doesn't the equipped clothing seem to have any effect on the character model in that picture? Have you set them to hide somehow, or have the developers been lazy?
It's deceptive in that the icons for clothing in your inventory don't reflect what they actually look like - there's one icon for all torso clothing, one for all leg clothing, etc.  Swapping clothing will update the character model, you just can't really tell how until you actually equip it (well you can get a rough idea from the item's name I guess).

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2014, 06:01:47 am »

Why doesn't the equipped clothing seem to have any effect on the character model in that picture? Have you set them to hide somehow, or have the developers been lazy?
It's deceptive in that the icons for clothing in your inventory don't reflect what they actually look like - there's one icon for all torso clothing, one for all leg clothing, etc.  Swapping clothing will update the character model, you just can't really tell how until you actually equip it (well you can get a rough idea from the item's name I guess).

Thanks, Biowraith! That makes sense :)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2014, 06:14:37 am »

And on a related mildly amusing and sorta spoilerish note, I just discovered that...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2014, 07:03:12 am »

I've played this about 5 hours.

I'm pretty sure I'm still kinda in the tutorial.

Hmm... I'm not sure what to say.

I really like the atmosphere and the ridiculous amount of text and fluff. However, I think the character models and options are so shit.

I really like the sheer number of stats. However, I really despise how they make it so hard to figure out what the current situation needs. Am I supposed to brute force this guy? No. First aid? Computer science? Oh, it's outdoorsman. To figure this out you need to select the person with the skill, activate the skill, and highlight the thing and it'll tell you whether it's possible. Was it so hard to implement a right-click menu showing a list of options?

I enjoy the combat and how many different options there are. It's fluid and splatterific. However, the UI is so freaking garbage it's like a monkey designed it. Why does left click and right click change depending on what you're trying to do? Right click is move most of the time, except when you're trying to pick something up. Then it's left click. Here's a timed puzzle. Make sure to run your entire group through it as fast as possible. Oh, when you need to solve each part of it, make sure to select the individual capable of the task, click on the duty, and click on the target. Make sure you're using the correct type of click by the way. It's left click for selecting and right click for moving, except when you're interacting with something then it's the opposite. OOOH you forgot to unselect your whole group now everyone just shot the door and switched weapons. Sorry.

Seriously, even Fallout 1's UI was way better than this. At least you could move around your party's order and set movement formations so you don't look like a group of retards hugging each other. It's so stupid because when you aggro a group of enemies you're always clumped up unless you manually move everyone around and hope they don't get detected. It's not like you can tell that you're going to get detected either. I even ran through a group of enemies once because I thought they were docile (they were mutant rabbits) but when I walked past two of them suddenly they aggroed. WHY!? I was standing right next to them the whole time with no problems. You can crouch, but if you want to walk you have to stand up, then crouch again. It's shit like this. All these tiny things make you want to throw this game out the window.

AAAARGH. The UI is so freaking terrible. I say this even as a massive lover of the old Fallout games and all those brutal old school RPGs.

I'll probably wait a few days and try again to see if maybe it was just needing to get used to it. My first impressions are not very good though. It's quite likely that I'm just tilted from all the rage and am not looking at this objectively.

This review tells me to wait for the modkit and for a community patch for this. The modkit sometime after release does not sound too promising. Its more of a lets get your money first and thanks for the development funds.. We may do this later. With the way the world map is set up and combat it looks like something modders could really get into it.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2014, 10:09:08 am »

While I certainly won't praise the UI for being particularly good, I don't actually think it's that bad. Although yes, the interchangeable left-click/Right-click is very annoying.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2014, 10:39:46 am »

I'm sorry to say umiman's 'review' isn't much of a review. It's a great game. If you actually have about 5 seconds to look at the UI you might actually have fun playing it. The game is nearly bug free, the combat is solid, the plot is good and quite long. Anyone saying this isn't a solid game is horribly wrong.

Seriously. Three paragraphs whining about left click right click. That's like calling a review of DF that only rages about the UI a review. While it ignores the rest of the game itself.

I'd also like to mention if you've ever played squad based turn based strategy in the last ten years, Wasteland 2 is a very streamlined and easy to play version of it. Go ahead. Play Wasteland 2 and tell me it isn't much easier and fun to play then a new JA, the 7.62 games, any tactical squad based game.. It's unfortunate that the squad-based top-down genre consists of shitty UI, but Wasteland 2 has streamlined this system. And if two mouse clicks changing in functionality that is highlighted on the screen due to it being context based is enough to ruin a game for you.. well... Sorry.

Anyone who says this isn't a solid well made *modern* cRPG is just objectively wrong. I've already sunk 12 hours into it and I don't think I'm halfway done.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:50:57 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2014, 11:29:12 am »

I'm sorry to say umiman's 'review' isn't much of a review. It's a great game. If you actually have about 5 seconds to look at the UI you might actually have fun playing it. The game is nearly bug free, the combat is solid, the plot is good and quite long. Anyone saying this isn't a solid game is horribly wrong.

Seriously. Three paragraphs whining about left click right click. That's like calling a review of DF that only rages about the UI a review. While it ignores the rest of the game itself.

I'd also like to mention if you've ever played squad based turn based strategy in the last ten years, Wasteland 2 is a very streamlined and easy to play version of it. Go ahead. Play Wasteland 2 and tell me it isn't much easier and fun to play then a new JA, the 7.62 games, any tactical squad based game.. It's unfortunate that the squad-based top-down genre consists of shitty UI, but Wasteland 2 has streamlined this system. And if two mouse clicks changing in functionality that is highlighted on the screen due to it being context based is enough to ruin a game for you.. well... Sorry.

Anyone who says this isn't a solid well made *modern* cRPG is just objectively wrong. I've already sunk 12 hours into it and I don't think I'm halfway done.

The whole thing about UI is, its supposed to be intuitive and if it's difficult/clumsy it can and will mar the experience for a lot of people. That's PRECISELY what happens in at least 50% of all DF reviews, because it's the biggest problem for them. This is amplified for users that perhaps aren't quite as used to tricky/tactical game UIs.

Now Umiman did also point out some things he really liked, and the fact that he just pointed out the UI as a bad thing shows that there weren't any other huge flaws. Basically, his review was 'If UI is something you struggle with/annoys you a lot, you'll find this a bit hard going, but other wise it's great' - which I think is a pretty good review.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2014, 11:31:18 am »

You use left click and right click. The menu is easy to understand, information is displayed, functionality is in and streamlined. Using crouch for no reason and getting into combats you aren't paying attention for isn't a fault of the UI in any mean. I'm seriously struggling to take the UI complaints seriously as this is the most minimalistic and easy to use cRPG UI you'll ever see.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2014, 01:28:13 pm »

As I promised, I waited awhile then gave this game another shot. So here's more impressions.

The UI is still ridiculous, but I think I've gone off on that enough already. I've gotten used to it somewhat but it still does crazy things like sometimes you have Person A selected but all your commands affect person B. I still despise the absolute lack of being able to change your party's formation and the inverted mouse buttons too.

Being able to have 6 party members is pretty sweet. However, I don't understand why they're following me sometimes. You don't have any option to speak to them after they join you so it can get a bit odd. A somewhat non-spoilery example would be the boss lady you take along with you at the start of the game. She's one of the highest ranked Rangers and is tagging along with you to find the killer of her love. However, once you've done that she still follows you. I can see why she might do this, but she never says anything about it. She does have stuff to say about various situations so it's not like she's a mute doll, just it's a bit curious why you can't speak to your own companions. However, protip, save up your skill points on your main party members until you absolutely have to spend them. There's no reason to invest points into computer science when you get someone who basically has it maxed.

I really like the Fallouty open nature of the map while being constrained by the water system and radiation. There's lots to explore and you have to balance out the risks. I accidentally ran into a bunch of super killer death robots that could jump across the map and slice my team members in half. It was very entertaining because at that point I was still having trouble killing honey badgers. I like that kind of thing, since it makes sense that the world doesn't cater exclusively to your whims.

The customization still kinda irks me. All the weapons have their own custom models and if you equip two weapons, the other one will be slung across the back or put at the side and you can actually see them. However, all the armour doesn't show up. Whyyyyyy? I also managed to recruit a young "samurai" character but his in-game model is an old man. It's so immersion-breaking.

There are so many easter eggs in this game it's kinda crazy. It's like they had some guy who's sole purpose was to put in easter eggs.

Rocket launchers are awesome. Except against killer death robots. Then it'll just annoy them.

There's a lot of radio banter that isn't related to you once you get past the super long tutorial, which I think is great. It shows that the world can function perfectly fine without you. You can listen to other ranger squads doing their thing, raiders, all that kind of stuff. I like it. The whole radio system is great, especially since they're fully voiced.

I noticed a number of bugs still persisting, especially related to quests. Mostly things like uncompletable quests or missing items / events. It's a bit "Elder Scrolls at launch".

I really love how other rangers acknowledge what I've been doing in the wastes. It makes me feel like my actions have been noticed. Also, wear a choker when you meet your boss. It's amusing.

The main plotline isn't particularly spectacular. I already know what's going to happen, as probably will everyone playing this. There's quite a number of side things to do though, so it's not too bad. Not every game needs a vast and complex main story.

That's honestly about it.

tl;dr: It's pretty nice past the horrendous UI and a few bugs. Customization sucks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:35 pm »

PTW

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2014, 02:36:42 pm »

OMG how did I not know of a wasteland 2? red rider wagons and mutant bunnies wheelchair ladies and omg.  gonna be a replaceable ranger aye

I mean ptw.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2014, 02:43:14 pm »

Just thought I'd chime in (as I know there are other low end users here) and say that I bit the bullet and got it, and it runs just about ok on my 1.4ghz toshiba with an E1 vision AMD graphics card. I've got everything on low/fast and am playing in windows 1768x992 mode.

It's a bit sluggish at times and looks obviously rubbish, but other than the very lengthy loading screens its certainly playable. I'm sure I could drop the res further if I needed too, but the loading screens do make it tiresome. I'm hoping that as the areas get larger/more stuff to do it'll stop feeling like I'm loading quite as many times.

All in all, probably better not to get it on a low end system as I imagine that if I start running into bugs/having to reload a lot it'll kinda push it from 'sorta quirky' to 'annoying as hell'.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2014, 05:04:40 pm »

Okay, I encountered a rather annoying feature of the game. I've finished the two initial missions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and headed off to a third area, which seemed to be "skipping ahead" in terms of narrative structure. So I turned back and went to Rail Nomad Camp after visiting the citadel. Now here comes the annoying part: So far, I have had 0 luck typing keywords manually in conversations. Even the obvious ones seemed to not be registered. So I basically wrote using the text input in dialogues off as unnecessary but apparently, resolving the conflict at the Rail Nomad Camp optimally require you use the text parser, even if the game hasn't used it at all up to that point.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13