Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 482961 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #2175 on: January 13, 2015, 11:50:10 pm »

It's a Hawaiian dish.
Traditionally it's made IIRC by digging a hole in the beach, making a fire in the hole, letting it burn down to hot embers, lower a butchered wrapped up pig in the hole, cover it, let it cool all night (about 8-12 hours), dig it back up and bam the most tender and delicious pork ever created by man kind!
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: January 14, 2015, 05:24:08 am »

It's a Hawaiian dish.
Traditionally it's made IIRC by digging a hole in the beach, making a fire in the hole, letting it burn down to hot embers, lower a butchered wrapped up pig in the hole, cover it, let it cool all night (about 8-12 hours), dig it back up and bam the most tender and delicious pork ever created by man kind!

Ahhh. We call that a hung-ee (sp?). Is good.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: January 14, 2015, 05:24:50 am »

We do it with mutton here, call it a méchouis.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: January 14, 2015, 05:29:43 am »

Why would I bury my crock pot? :P
Seriously though. The internet suggests its just sea salt rubbed on, and liquid smoke, cooked on low. Which is exactly how we made ours. So yes then. I have.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:32 am »

ya the home version isn't all too different that regular
But the real stuff
OH MY GOD
it is sooooooo freaking delicious

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 20, 2015, 01:12:35 am »

Gravy Ramen

Spoiler: Ingredients (click to show/hide)

Melt the butter into the cooking oil, adding the spare packet of seasoning and the black pepper as you do. Stir until sizzling and bubbling. Add the milk, then stir in the sour cream. Whisk in corn masa 1 tsp at a time until it is only slightly thinner than your desired gravy thickness. Add water if you add too much masa. Break up the noodles, then add them and the remaining seasoning packet, and stir to coat the noodles in gravy. Reduce heat and cover, allowing to cook for several minutes, checking occasionally until noodles are done. If gravy overthickens, add water as necessary.

Die of acute heart failure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:16:01 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 21, 2015, 06:35:56 pm »

It's a Hawaiian dish.
In North Carolina, that's just called barbecue. (which is a noun, not a verb) Though instead of a hole in the ground, it's often a brick kiln-type thing. But a hole with some hickory wood will suffice.

And yes, it is swine flesh transformed into a meal fit for the gods.

I'm making chicken and cauliflower balti tonight, with a side of shahi paneer and some fresh naan.
Bringin' the heat, bringin' the flava!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: January 21, 2015, 06:44:04 pm »

Naan is objectively best bread. I must have your recipe.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: January 21, 2015, 06:45:59 pm »

My recipe is an Indian bakery a few miles up the road. >_>

But it *is* fresh!

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: January 21, 2015, 06:50:48 pm »

Gravy Ramen

Melt the butter into the cooking oil, adding the spare packet of seasoning and the black pepper as you do. Stir until sizzling and bubbling. Add the milk, then stir in the sour cream. Whisk in corn masa 1 tsp at a time until it is only slightly thinner than your desired gravy thickness. Add water if you add too much masa. Break up the noodles, then add them and the remaining seasoning packet, and stir to coat the noodles in gravy. Reduce heat and cover, allowing to cook for several minutes, checking occasionally until noodles are done. If gravy overthickens, add water as necessary.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: January 21, 2015, 06:53:07 pm »

It's a Hawaiian dish.
In North Carolina, that's just called barbecue. (which is a noun, not a verb) Though instead of a hole in the ground, it's often a brick kiln-type thing. But a hole with some hickory wood will suffice.

And yes, it is swine flesh transformed into a meal fit for the gods.

I'm making chicken and cauliflower balti tonight, with a side of shahi paneer and some fresh naan.
Bringin' the heat, bringin' the flava!

But see when you Barry it in the Hawaiian sands the sea gods season it with perfect flavor   

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:22 pm »

Gravy Ramen

That is not food, that is a cry for help.

@Cryxis, yes but here we bathe the pig lovingly in a mixture of vinegar and chili pepper. Much more flavor than just salt.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: January 21, 2015, 08:00:07 pm »

I think you underestimate the seasonings of sea water.
Or Hawaiian sand

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: January 22, 2015, 02:51:51 am »

Sands? That's why they call it grits then? :P

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: January 22, 2015, 06:21:03 pm »

Why do mashed potatoes taste so good with sauerkraut?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 333