Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084949 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just got a beta code, so I'm definitely in now. On my phone for most of today. Can access IRC on here but obviously not Steam. On that note, any active IRC rooms or even just a preferred server to set one up on? May as well have it exist even if it's only as a backup option.

My local Tesco has at least two copies of PC Gamer left, and I can think of a few other shops that may have copies as well. I can't afford to buy them all and distribute the codes for free but could probably work something out for anyone still desperate to get in in a day or two.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:08:04 am by palsch »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I can't afford to buy them all and distribute the codes for free
All things considered you might be able to make a 500% profit on keys for buying a magazine.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

Steam is excellent for me since I as was mentioned earlier, just have it up in the background anyways. Excellent for posting times and dates for when shit is going down since everyone can check it at their leisure and not risk missing it because they didn't happen to be in a chatroom at the time.

The only issue I can see from all this is that we are pretty damn international, with a few europeans that I know about and probably some of you are 'mericans as well, that might be a problem if we are to play on the same servers since well, across-the-pond-connections can mean serious latency issues and that is something you don't want in an FPS of all games.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All things considered you might be able to make a 500% profit on keys for buying a magazine.
I could, but that would be dickish. I'm thinking that if people want to buy them at cost (£6) paid into my Paypal I'd use that money to buy the current Humble Bundle. Easier than getting such a small amount out of Paypal and something I was going to spend money on anyway.

As for latency issues, depends heavily on the mechanics. I used to play Air Rivals (AKA Space Cowboy Online AKA Flysis AKA Ace Online) where having a higher ping actually helped feather your boosters, letting you sustain higher speeds for longer. Using the same methods at lower ping would see you overheat more often. Not saying it's likely high ping is good, but I'm not assuming it's a huge disadvantage till I've played.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile

Steam is excellent for me since I as was mentioned earlier, just have it up in the background anyways. Excellent for posting times and dates for when shit is going down since everyone can check it at their leisure and not risk missing it because they didn't happen to be in a chatroom at the time.

The only issue I can see from all this is that we are pretty damn international, with a few europeans that I know about and probably some of you are 'mericans as well, that might be a problem if we are to play on the same servers since well, across-the-pond-connections can mean serious latency issues and that is something you don't want in an FPS of all games.

Thats my worry, as I live in Wales (UK), and many of you are probably American.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

The Steam group is just a way to organize a list and post events in a medium that almost everyone uses frequently.  Steam could be used to let everyone know "We're planning a group raid along the west coast in 2 hours" but once you get in-game you can shut down Steam.  In-game chat and voice-over-IP will be much preferred, but for the most part Steam is an excellent thing for people to run in the background while they're not gaming, so that they can browse forums and still get the "even starts in 5 minute" updates.
You don't need a medium for IRC (well, except browser) and it has a topics aka status updates for announcements.

Seriously, fuck Steam.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Crazy Brit over here

Also I don't see why so much hate on steam I rather like it and I find it's a good comms method
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/23/soe-announce-deal-with-new-european-publisher-planetside-2-will-be-region-locked/

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU......!

Edit:   It seems that there was a twitter post a few days after the first article, saying that they are trying to find a way to allow all players to access any server.  So hopefully that means they have realised what a crap idea region locking is.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:12:14 am by draco1234 »

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

The Steam group is just a way to organize a list and post events in a medium that almost everyone uses frequently.  Steam could be used to let everyone know "We're planning a group raid along the west coast in 2 hours" but once you get in-game you can shut down Steam.  In-game chat and voice-over-IP will be much preferred, but for the most part Steam is an excellent thing for people to run in the background while they're not gaming, so that they can browse forums and still get the "even starts in 5 minute" updates.
You don't need a medium for IRC (well, except browser) and it has a topics aka status updates for announcements.

Seriously, fuck Steam.

I'd rather say fuck IRC since it means extra work for me to use it :p Steam is fine.

European players will no longer be able to play with friends in the US.

Well that pissed me off. Seriously region locking shouldn't be a fucking thing in 2012.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:04:25 am by Aptus »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Another Briton reporting for duty.

Edit to add: I really hope we can all play on the same servers. I play a lot of KAG and manage on US servers, Australian servers are largely unworkable, however.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:15:40 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Region locking? Really? What are those people thinking.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Who the hell cares about region locking if nobody is going to play anywhere except the nearest server anyway? If anything, that's a good thing because I'll be able to use my favourite nickname even if some american, with whom I'm not going to play ever because ping, already got it reserved.

And man, fuuuuck Steam.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who the hell cares about region locking if nobody is going to play anywhere except the nearest server anyway? If anything, that's a good thing because I'll be able to use my favourite nickname even if some american, with whom I'm not going to play ever because ping, already got it reserved.

And man, fuuuuck Steam.

Ummm, I care?  If we are going to have a Bay12 company, then it tends to help, being on the same server.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Yes Dariush, we know you enjoy living in an older time when IRC dominates and region locking is considered a valid business venture.  The rest of us will resume living in 2012 where we can use our house phone to send a message into space, bounce of 3 satellites and a massive tower and transmit realtime data signals so that our cell phone will ring and we can find where we left it in our other pants.  Technology man.  Get with the times.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

region locking is a way to fight the eastern european/russian cd-key industry that undercuts all other retailers by 30+%. It sucks, but SOE is one of the companies hellbent on fighting this trend.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 826