Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089629 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2295 on: September 05, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »

I always play US-WEST, but I'm going to try US-EAST and even EU tonight, just to see how it feels.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:12 pm »

I like the 100mm AP turret on the lightning. It feels a little weak, and ammo is sorely lacking, but it is possible to bullseye fighters and harass stuff like Galaxies from afar much better than you can with the 75mm cannon.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 05, 2012, 03:45:37 pm »

Thanks, palsch, I'll have to give that a try this weekend.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 05, 2012, 03:48:48 pm »

I like the 100mm AP turret on the lightning. It feels a little weak, and ammo is sorely lacking, but it is possible to bullseye fighters and harass stuff like Galaxies from afar much better than you can with the 75mm cannon.
I heard that the HEAT was doing more damage than the AP right now?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: September 05, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »

If you're not playing in a squad or outfit, e.g. if you're soloing:

For goals, if you're not playing with a group, you can take the little one to three capture point outposts and such, claiming them for your faction. They are rarely defended. If they are, it's usually easier to just take off and fly to another one than to bother fighting the guy there since most are undefended because there's no benefit to sitting at a base twiddling your thumbs. Taking outposts weakens nearby bases, making them easier for your faction to capture them, as well as taking away resource production from whoever owned the outpost previously, and giving it to your faction instead. You can also participate in larger battles for auraxium bases and the like, but if you lose all the surrounding outposts you will likely lose the battle as well, and conversely if you capture them all you can win more easily since surrounding bases/outposts affect the outcome of the 'ticket race'.

I would suggest getting in a fighter and practicing flying it around a bit near the warpgate (without trying to land, and not near the places where planes spawn), then once you have some practice with controlling it in the air, see if you can land on a flat surface. It may take some practice, as you may explode a few times (I definitely did). Waiting until you have 750 of the green resources helps, and a large income of them, and the fighter 5-minute implant to let you try again more quickly. At some point they need to add a simulation / VR mode, I think.

You'll find that they like to tip over and explode on landing and takeoff if you land on the edges of buildings, on non-flat terrain, or too close to structures, especially if you are unable to prevent them from doing so (but there are positions that it's just impossible to take off from, like when you land directly facing a tower with one wing caught on it), but planes are basically the quickest way to get anywhere on the map. I've also seen the landing gear cause a reaver to tip over when it extends, which was facepalmworthy and almost made me wish I was flying a scythe instead (they don't have landing gear and are rather flat). The in-game store has implants which will reduce the re-purchase time on particular vehicles to 5 minutes for 25 auraxium for a 24 hour duration, which is quite cheap as you can get that much for being online for 5 minutes if your faction has 3 or more auraxium bases (each one is 10 aurax per 5 minutes). So you can for instance get the one for the reaver (fighter), or the one for the vanguard (tank), or the one for the galaxy (aerial transport), etc. There are 50 aurax ones that operate on two vehicles instead of one. The main issue with the vehicles then becomes having enough resources to repeatedly buy them.

There are two ways to use airplanes to get places: Either buy a vehicle and drive/fly it somewhere, land it, take the place, get back in, and go somewhere else, or just ditch it in the air and hop out. In practice hopping out in the air is unsafe unless you're in a galaxy or you're moving slow and over land (or an LA as they have jetpacks, although I've still died from horizontal movement speed as an LA despite using my jetpack). It's better if you can land it, and if it starts to tip over when you land you may just have to jump out, as when they explode from flipping over they generally won't harm anyone standing nearby for whatever reason.

As an alternative, you can drive ground vehicles to places instead. The flash is a small quad bike, and extremely cheap, but it has traction issues and seems like it doesn't have 4WD right now. Basically it can't go up hills effectively. There are also tanks. They're slower than aircraft, and not safe if there are enough aircraft around. You also have to be RIDICULOUSLY CAREFUL if you're driving a tank, not to be moving, at all, anytime any friendly infantry are anywhere near you, which includes ones that you can't see. Meaning you have to constantly watch the minimap. If someone so much as walks next to your tank while you're driving they WILL die right now, and you'll get blamed for it. Or if they run in front of you and you are unable to stop in time. Or if they drive a jeep into your tank and die. And so on. If this happens enough you'll get weapons-locked for a while. I've managed not to be weapons locked yet by (a) being spectacularly careful about driving around when in tanks, and (b) mainly playing on a rather underpopulated server.

Edit: Is it just my first few landings with the mossie going horribly wrong, or is the mosquito even more prone to tipping over (this time forward, over the nose) than the reaver? The hilarious thing is that each time it was stationary (with the nose pointed at the ground... what) before I got out, then flipped onto its back and exploded as soon as I got out.

I'd remove station name from that. Maybe allow your PS2 forum name, but station name is your account logon and should really be something different from your characters and forum name to help secure your account. Less vital for a F2P like PS2, but still good practice.

That is exactly why I didn't enter mine in there.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:59:00 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: September 05, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »

Changed it into the PS2 official forum name.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: September 05, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »

I heard that the HEAT was doing more damage than the AP right now?

I have no idea. Most people I've seen are buying rocket pods and anti-air bits with their auraxium.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 05, 2012, 04:12:09 pm »

I don't have trouble landing anything except on the occasional piece of "appears flat but is actually slanted" ground. It was actually pretty easy to learn to fly, even with the mouse. I've gotten pretty damn good at squeezing the galaxy into tiny places and quick landing mossies.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2303 on: September 05, 2012, 04:19:48 pm »

I'm also on west...

Anyhoo rumor has it there's a wipe in about a week. I think it would be awesome if we could pick ONE SERVER AND ONE BACKUP SERVER and form a BAY12 OUTFIT in ONE FACTION. I've done some squad play and I can only imagine how awesome it would be to be part of an organized outfit. Heck, I'd be interested in squad-leading.

I'm interested in playing just about any server and faction if we can make it happen.

Wipe in about a week? That sounds like a larger beta test to me. (Which will be awesome, since I am patiently awaiting my chance to get in on the action.)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: September 05, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »

There were also rumors at some point of a wipe followed by handing out a good chunk of auraxium once the extra weapons and stuff are in to give people a chance at unlocking a few of them and really testing them out.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: September 05, 2012, 04:40:54 pm »

How do you get a key for this anyways?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 05, 2012, 05:40:43 pm »

Someone on the google docs spreadsheet says they have a spare... otherwise you can go through IGN to get one, which unless you're an IGN Prime member means waiting 'til the 7th. Note that having a key DOES NOT mean you will be in right away.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: September 05, 2012, 05:49:34 pm »

If anyone who a spare I hope you think of me.  :P
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 05, 2012, 05:50:41 pm »

Bro tip: Figure out who it is and PM him. :P

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: September 05, 2012, 05:53:22 pm »

There are two ways to use airplanes to get places: Either buy a vehicle and drive/fly it somewhere, land it, take the place, get back in, and go somewhere else, or just ditch it in the air and hop out. In practice hopping out in the air is unsafe unless you're in a galaxy or you're moving slow and over land (or an LA as they have jetpacks, although I've still died from horizontal movement speed as an LA despite using my jetpack). It's better if you can land it, and if it starts to tip over when you land you may just have to jump out, as when they explode from flipping over they generally won't harm anyone standing nearby for whatever reason.

There's a third way. Since vehicles can cap points, real pros hover their fighter near the cap point without even getting out of it.

Is it just my first few landings with the mossie going horribly wrong, or is the mosquito even more prone to tipping over (this time forward, over the nose) than the reaver? The hilarious thing is that each time it was stationary (with the nose pointed at the ground... what) before I got out, then flipped onto its back and exploded as soon as I got out.

Eh? Tipping over forwards in a mossie? That's odd, I've never had any tipping problems of any kind with it. The worst that ever happened was that the aircraft came to rest at a slight sideways angle instead of perfectly level.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 826