Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089697 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2640 on: September 12, 2012, 02:15:01 am »

Plus a lot of the possible uses for the Cloak... are not possible.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: September 12, 2012, 02:36:24 am »

I'm just not sure what you're all seeing wrong with the infiltrator. I've had plenty of success and I'd hardly call myself an expert... No, you're not going to be mowing down lines of enemies like a max, or carpet bombing like a pilot, or generally blowing up tanks like a HA, but if you're patient and take your time you can sneak into an enemy base and disable the generators just fine.  Go find a vehicle station or something similar and wait till people walk up to use it then you sneak up and give them a couple of stabbity stabs with your knife (or empty a pistol clip into them if you're TR).  Unless you're NC, the sniper rifle is slightly useless except to just harass people, especially if it's a big battle and they're too busy to figure out where any specific shot is coming from. It's good to look ahead though. Having a scope is always good for scouting. And I will say, even if you don't get any experience for it itself, a VERY useful, if underappreciated use of a infiltrator is as a recon, painting targets with the Q key and ideally being in a squad or platoon with various support assets. An infiltrator in a good, moderately hidden position with plenty of visibility can LEAD a fight if they just keep scanning the area and call out what they see.

Never move without your cloak if you can avoid it. If you're still, you're almost as good as invisible in most cases. Find cover and things that will break up your silhouette. Don't just pause in the middle of a bunch of white sand... get to a rock or tree or something and wait next to it. Hide in bushes. Try to plan your route so that you're cloaked most or all of the way between cover points. I went deep behind enemy lines one night and spent a good half hour just harassing people who were landing at a tower with air pads and repairing their planes. Only one guy actually found out where I was, but I spotted him a good half km out and just moved position. Could have killed him if the terrain had been right and I'd gotten slightly lucky. (Also, making him run out to search for me, and then have to run back was a bigger waste of his time than me killing him would have been just to send him back to the tower spawn in 5 seconds, but I wasn't thinking that hard about it at the time... just something to keep in mind.) I was only actually killed when I got greedy and decided to try to take the 3 points of that base by myself... Got to the second one and was cornered by an HA.

You're not going to be making xp hand over fist like other classes... but if you play it right, you'll die a lot less as well and be somewhat useful too.

Patience is the key... if you don't have that, then don't play infiltrator...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:40:26 am by sluissa »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: September 12, 2012, 02:41:29 am »

The Infiltrator is fine

It is just that if you are using him for stealth you are sorta using it wrong. The cloak isn't for stealth.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: September 12, 2012, 02:44:33 am »

I'm just not sure what you're all seeing wrong with the infiltrator. I've had plenty of success and I'd hardly call myself an expert... No, you're not going to be mowing down lines of enemies like a max, or carpet bombing like a pilot, or generally blowing up tanks like a HA, but if you're patient and take your time you can sneak into an enemy base and disable the generators just fine.

Or you could roll an engineer, run into the enemy base, run into the generator room, plant your turret in front of the generator, blow it to smithereens, and run back out of there before anyone can get there to stop you (and without having used any ammo), as long as nobody was actively guarding the place (which is rarely the case, although on the more full servers bases tend to be crawling with people, and this is often impossible at Zurvan on West 1 due to everyone manning the AA and cannon turrets on the fortress walls).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: September 12, 2012, 02:55:01 am »

The Infiltrator is fine

It is just that if you are using him for stealth you are sorta using it wrong. The cloak isn't for stealth.

Then what, pray tell, is it for then?

I'm just not sure what you're all seeing wrong with the infiltrator. I've had plenty of success and I'd hardly call myself an expert... No, you're not going to be mowing down lines of enemies like a max, or carpet bombing like a pilot, or generally blowing up tanks like a HA, but if you're patient and take your time you can sneak into an enemy base and disable the generators just fine.

Or you could roll an engineer, run into the enemy base, run into the generator room, plant your turret in front of the generator, blow it to smithereens, and run back out of there before anyone can get there to stop you (and without having used any ammo), as long as nobody was actively guarding the place (which is rarely the case, although on the more full servers bases tend to be crawling with people, and this is often impossible at Zurvan on West 1 due to everyone manning the AA and cannon turrets on the fortress walls).

Engineer will probably get killed soon afterwards and a good infiltrator is just what the situation described calls for. You've got tons of people running around, so you need a bit of an edge to sneak through.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: September 12, 2012, 02:55:58 am »

Then what, pray tell, is it for then?

Sniping... or do you mean the cloak?

The cloak is made for standing perfectly still. That weakness makes it rather impossible to sneak into bases using it (along with its batterlife of nil)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: September 12, 2012, 03:06:36 am »

No, the cloak is definitely made for movement... Yeah, a sharp eyed soldier can pick out a moving cloak, but with the right background and a corner or two, they'll lose it just as quickly.

When you're still, against a broken background, in some bushes, or hidden in some cover, you're as close to invisible as you need to be.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: September 12, 2012, 03:14:36 am »

Quite a few times I've turned a corner to find myself fairly close to a foe, cloaked, and jumped towards them only to have them completely lose me.

Still not sure what class / classes to focus on. I enjoy heavy and infiltrator best so far. I want to fly stuff but haven't got around to fixing the default controls; So different from what I'm used to using.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: September 12, 2012, 03:19:37 am »

There's really no way to "fix" the flying controls... You just have to relearn how to fly. To be fair, it is slightly similar to helicopter controls, so if you think of it that way rather than Old PS1 flying, or normal airplane flying, then you'll be a step ahead.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2649 on: September 12, 2012, 08:44:35 am »

Yep, NC on East 2! My username there is GloriousLeader, Volatar will happily recruit you as well I think (speaking of which Volatar, we need to run another squad, haven't played with you since you were idling). There's more lag on the East servers right now though, than anywhere else... so if that really puts you off, play somewhere else for a while but I still recommend you make a character for the Bay 12 outfit. At the very least, you earn certs (skill points) while offline.

I haven't really been on to play since this past weekend. I was on for about a hour yesterday on a different character and that's about it.

Everyone: The US East servers have been confirmed to have a hardware issue that is causing the warping. It will be fixed in the next couple days.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: September 12, 2012, 09:11:02 am »

Two big updates being worked on:
1) Spawn Logistics (revamping the Galaxy and the Sunderer)
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/solidifying-spawning-logistics.17169/

2) Weapon rebalancing (to promote longer engagements)
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/upcoming-weapon-changes.17770/#post-236569

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:42 am »

Is there a cost associated to dieing? Personally, I think there should be. Right now the fighting is *play until tons of resources collected, use all resources to capture one base*

Having a death penalty would make it smarter to actually siege bases, and things like using an infiltrator to get inside and destroy generators would be useful in the long run.

Also, still looking for an answer for this:
Huh, can I not spend my points until open beta begins or something? If I can, how do I link my station account to my planetside character?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: September 12, 2012, 09:42:06 am »

Is there a cost associated to dieing? Personally, I think there should be. Right now the fighting is *play until tons of resources collected, use all resources to capture one base*

Having a death penalty would make it smarter to actually siege bases, and things like using an infiltrator to get inside and destroy generators would be useful in the long run.

Also, still looking for an answer for this:
Huh, can I not spend my points until open beta begins or something? If I can, how do I link my station account to my planetside character?

You can't use station credits in Planetside until after beta. The reasonoing being that there will be frequent character wipes, adding and removing weapons, and general rebalancing. It'd be a nightmare.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: September 12, 2012, 09:45:41 am »

To give hot drops and blockade running more tactical relevance, cause they're awesome.

This is why I have such high hopes for this game.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: September 12, 2012, 10:06:00 am »

2) Weapon rebalancing (to promote longer engagements)
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/upcoming-weapon-changes.17770/#post-236569
I wouldn't say this is to promote longer engagements and more to make weapons effective at the distances people are currently engaging at. Right now people are being pinned at ranges of >60 meters when their weapon's effective range is <40m. You end up with most of your force trying desperately to do any damage while the few people with effective weapons for that range actually score kills and control the flow of battle.

New recoil patterns could be interesting, especially given how literal horizontal recoil NC weapons had before. Something tells me forward grip is going to get more valuable again. Especially with slower CoF expansion meaning the laser dot is slightly less required for effective hip fire.

As to the spawning system, all the PS1 vets I've run with are desperate for this change, and it should encourage longer lasting tank battles for sure. I've been in a West Highlands Checkpoint push that involved three Sunderers and over a dozen mixed tanks, combined with the usual dozens of zerg infantry. Making that a minimal armoured force (one for repair, one for rearm, one for respawn) would encourage that scale of cooperation and combat. Me want.

And I do like the idea of Galaxies letting squad members spawn inside, as a sort of modified spawn beacon. Not as useful as the current Galaxy respawn but still encourage squad play.

The MAX change sounds good. MAX AA is extremely effective, and this won't stop it being useful but will make it breakable. And with any luck this will completely stop the current TR MAX spam. Yesterday I was able to blow up three MAXes and an engineer with one block of C4. That should pretty much never happen.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 826