Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089367 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2625 on: September 11, 2012, 11:29:15 pm »

The NC MAX is definitely not better than the other NC classes (or other classes in general). I stand in front of them and shoot them to death while they're reloading when I'm playing anything other than NC.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: September 11, 2012, 11:29:55 pm »

I'll still go into MAX.  Even if they're once an hour, that'll be worth it to me.

Also seems a shame, 4,582 MB of game, and I'm probably going to use 1/2 of that once I bottom out the graphics and lower the texture detail.  I'm installing more textures than I'll ever use :P

The one thing I'll say then is, any alts you think you might want, make them before you start playing. You gain CERTS even when offline, so by the time you play as a TR or Vanu alt, you'll have a nice pile of upgrades to play with.

For instance, I have my NC guy on East 2 for the outfit, and my other two factions on West 1 (probably will move them to East after the character wipe in a few weeks, but for now I've been having alot of stupid lag on East for no reason, so I went West 1)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:33:41 pm by Silent_Thunder »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: September 11, 2012, 11:32:17 pm »

Stealth isn't useful?  I figured an actual invisible recon would be nice, not like "camo painted" but actual stealth suit vanishing.  Either way, I'm definitely going with vehicles and MAX - sorta the same thing, the MAX is already a vehicle pretty much, amirite?  I'll probably go anti-infantry on the MAX.  The MAX's weakness is its low speed and ability to be bombed.  Getting inside and fighting the foot soldiers is the correct way to use a MAX.  Enemy tank's gonna have more guns and more armor, but enemy assault class is gonna be outmatched.  Know your target!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: September 11, 2012, 11:34:50 pm »

unfortunately they are probably over nerfing the Max apperantly.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:18 pm »

If you were vanu or TR, being an anti-infantry MAX would be viable. It isn't for NC right now. You get three shots per arm (with an extremely short range shotgun) and then you have to spend several seconds reloading.

Their AV weapons don't seem up to par either (compared to Vanu).

Medic or HA is a better way to go right now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: September 11, 2012, 11:37:29 pm »

If you were vanu or TR, being an anti-infantry MAX would be viable. It isn't for NC right now. You get three shots per arm (with an extremely short range shotgun) and then you have to spend several seconds reloading.

The only thing NC can be decent for I guess... is taking out Galaxies

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: September 11, 2012, 11:47:52 pm »

The MAX's weakness is its low speed and ability to be bombed.  Getting inside and fighting the foot soldiers is the correct way to use a MAX. Enemy tank's gonna have more guns and more armor, but enemy assault class is gonna be outmatched.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've been having an absolute blast blowing up MAXes with C4 the last few days. Drop C4 on the floor, shoot MAX to get his attention, back off a bit, blow him up as he walks onto the C4. Works like a charm, every single time.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: September 11, 2012, 11:48:50 pm »

That's because no one knows how to pay attention and look where they're going.  I mean look at that guy up there who can't even avoid a trench and gets his tanks stuck!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: September 12, 2012, 12:03:57 am »

Sure, although it certainly packs a punch. If I get anywhere close to a NC Max I tend to end up full of holes and bleeding on the floor.

As for classes... I'm really liking Light Infantry with their jetpacks. It's even better now that I have C4 to take out those enemy MAX units and I can swoop in, drop my bombs, and fly out with an explosion behind me. Before I could only take out a full MAX by nibbling away at their health, running, and coming in from an entirely different angle to frustrate the crap out of them. Now if only I could afford that second C4 usage...
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: September 12, 2012, 12:07:31 am »

That's because no one knows how to pay attention and look where they're going.  I mean look at that guy up there who can't even avoid a trench and gets his tanks stuck!

I don't think noticing a well-placed C4 is as easy as you're making it out to be. Especially if you place it around a corner so that the MAX can't even see it at all until it's too late.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: September 12, 2012, 12:08:22 am »

I don't think noticing a well-placed C4 is as easy as you're making it out to be. Especially if you place it around a corner so that the MAX can't even see it at all until it's too late.

Not to mention that a Max in order to be effective actually doesn't have full range of sight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: September 12, 2012, 12:33:59 am »

Got in, massive graphical lag, at least around the massive shield bubble.  Meh, anyways, where's people at?  East 2 is it?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: September 12, 2012, 01:17:13 am »

Yep, NC on East 2! My username there is GloriousLeader, Volatar will happily recruit you as well I think (speaking of which Volatar, we need to run another squad, haven't played with you since you were idling). There's more lag on the East servers right now though, than anywhere else... so if that really puts you off, play somewhere else for a while but I still recommend you make a character for the Bay 12 outfit. At the very least, you earn certs (skill points) while offline.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: September 12, 2012, 01:52:19 am »

I could use an invite to the outfit. Character name is TechRebel. NC on East 2, of course.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:52 am »

Stealth isn't useful?  I figured an actual invisible recon would be nice, not like "camo painted" but actual stealth suit vanishing.

1. Go infiltrator
2. Press F
3. Become invisible
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

The cloak is extremely short-lived unfortunately, unlike in the original where you could stay "invisible" forever with the downside being you could only use pistols.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 826