Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089702 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2760 on: September 15, 2012, 09:27:21 pm »

Yeah, but more and more people have those unlocks every day, so playing air becomes harder and harder.
This whole thing of course goes completely against the idea of unlocks being sidegrades rather than upgrades.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2761 on: September 15, 2012, 10:03:28 pm »

Yeah, but more and more people have those unlocks every day, so playing air becomes harder and harder.
This whole thing of course goes completely against the idea of unlocks being sidegrades rather than upgrades.

You're not thinking out the tactics involved. :)

If the enemy pulls a bunch of Anti-Air Lightnings and starts controlling the air, do you respond with more air?

No, you bring in heavy tanks.

Anti-Air is a sidegrade, and a costly one at that, as it leaves you completely vulnerable to ground.

It escalates from there. :)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2762 on: September 15, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »

Heh, the laser sight is such a giveaway now. I've gotten numerous kills by seeing a laser sight and knowing exactly where an enemy was and which way they're facing. Jump in on their side/back and blow em away.

It even goes through walls. Was fighting at Tawrich earlier and I saw the F point flashing with an enemy taking it. He was hiding behind one of the little corner nooks right by the capture point. His laser sight was sticking through the wall, letting me see exactly where he was - so I just activated nanite mesh and stepped out firing and blew him away before he even did any damage through the nanite mesh.

Another time I saw the beam cutting through a wall by a window near a capture point, so I chucked a grenade up there and blew up two people. I had no idea people would be there defending it, if not for the laser dot I would have just walked up and probably gotten gunned down by them.

I'm saving up points to buy the forward grip on all the classes that I've been using laser dot on, it's just not worth it to walk around with that kind of "SHOOT ME" sign for a small accuracy bonus.

-edit- I really miss the offline cert point gain. It's hard to save up 40 pts to get the forward grip now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:13:12 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2763 on: September 16, 2012, 05:35:07 pm »

The removal of the offline cert gain makes me want to idle 24/7.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: September 16, 2012, 05:45:37 pm »

That won't work either, it's based on actions. 1000 xp for a cert point. You actually gain them really fast if you're ingame and in a organized outfit or part of one of the zergs that happen.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2765 on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »

As I watch the changes in this beta, I want to play the game less and less. Hoping the final release version ends up being better.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2766 on: September 16, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »

That won't work either, it's based on actions. 1000 xp for a cert point. You actually gain them really fast if you're ingame and in a organized outfit or part of one of the zergs that happen.

Idle in a hidden corner of a contested Auraxium base. Bam. Idling certs AND more than passive Auraxium gain.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: September 16, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »

I did that once when I went out for about half an hour. I'm glad nobody decided to look on top of the biodome in that period. Though I've heard mention that they're making plans to kick AFKers so that might not remain an option.

But the whole move to ditch offline certs is boneheaded and will only lead to a focus on farming tactics. Personally, I've been moving towards defending multi-point facilities or going on stealth captures for this reason. It also hurts those who perform helpful actions which don't gain xp such as hanging back to defend bases (from people like me) or performing support roles such as transport. Even those support roles which do receive xp currently give very little in comparison to the in-your-face approach. And even within that approach there's a huge difference in time cost to benefit ratios as a several hour siege gives just as much capture xp as a minute-long outpost capture.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: September 16, 2012, 07:22:36 pm »

I've been moving towards not playing at all. And by "moving towards" I mean "have only played one hour since this change occurred, which was long enough to submit a bug report on it (there was no mention of it in the changelog, so I concluded it was probably a bug)."

Today I found a thread by a developer in the Classes and Certifications forum, saying that it was intentional, which makes me even less likely to play. As much as the rest of the gameplay is great or moving towards being great, the auraxium gain mechanics and now the cert gain mechanics detract significantly from the fun of the game.

Edit:
From https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/247489561914122241

Quote from: John Smedley
The idea is simple - offline cert gain will be something you pay for. Likely in a subscription and maybe outside of one.

@Adalore1 Absolutely positively not. Actually the whole cert point system is directly made with free casual players in mind.

@Adalore1 we are making most of the core certs level in a smart fashion where you don't even need to Level them all up.

@Fantomblu yes. Normal $14.99 price. But we are offering other options too that aren't about sub.

Oh well. I had hopes, but I was prepared to see it swerve off into standard "Must install skinner boxes, and get people to pay us to bypass some of them" MMO territory. I have no intention of continuing with beta or playing PS2 on release if this is their game plan, simply because I can be playing stuff that isn't unbalanced, unfair, and unfun, or doing anything other than playing 24/7 or sending them money.

("Actually the whole cert point system is directly made with free casual players in mind." is hilarious, as from my own experience I earn almost no certs playing - maybe 5-10 for each day, which is not casual-friendly at all when there is shit that costs hundreds and hundreds of cert points, and the gun attachments that you have to buy per gun, some of which aren't cheap, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:50:53 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2769 on: September 16, 2012, 09:39:18 pm »

It's still not super fast, but you can get certs pretty quick if you get with a good galaxy crew. Hopping from base to base capturing small bases, and when you hit a big base you can usually get into some pretty good fights where you can rake in thousands pretty quick from all the kills.

I've been enjoying playing Medic lately. Their rifle is really nice, I get lots of kills with it. And healing/resing people is rewarded with points. 75 for resing, 10 for healing a certain amount. Running around with a big group reviving and healing people in between skirmishes where you pull off a few kills each time can add up pretty quick. You get bonus points if you're in a squad with the people you're healing too, so if you can get in a good 12 man squad it's even better.

I was with a nice group the other day with 3 engineers, 6 heavies, and 3 medics (including me). At one point a lib and 5 tanks (2 lightnings and 3 magriders) came in blew our galaxy and nearly wiped us out, killing both the other medics and most everyone else and losing one lightning and one magrider in the process. I raised both the medics and we started picking up all the heavies, and soon they were blasting the tanks to bits while us medics kept them revived and healed up. Two of the engineers dropped ammo packs for them to have more rockets too. It was crazy - basically open ground, with me and the other two medics racing around reviving and healing people while the heavies danced around popping off rockets at the tanks. I died once but got raised by one of the other medics almost instantly, popped my heal on, and kept reviving others. Meanwhile one of the engineers respawned at the gate and arrived with our new galaxy just as we captured the facility, and we immediately flew right off to the next objective. We killed all the tanks and dozens of infantry by the time we were done (not sure what happened to the lib, it just bombed the gal and flew off).

Wish I could get in full coordinated groups like that every time I play the game. That's why we need to get organized into one outfit, so we can set that kind of stuff up on a regular basis :P

I still kind of want to unlock the resurrection grenades. I've seen medics turn a fight around by dropping one of those on top of a group of dead guys.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »

I'm personally still hoping that the horribleness of gaining things right now is just because progression is the last area of the game they want squared away; there's still a lot of weapon, map, and command balancing to go.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: September 17, 2012, 03:04:26 am »

I still kind of want to unlock the resurrection grenades. I've seen medics turn a fight around by dropping one of those on top of a group of dead guys.
I have them, but I haven't had the chance to use one, yet. I do keep throwing them at enemies by accident/habit, though, and at 300 greenstuff (because I can't get used to the real names) per grenade that is quite the expensive error.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: September 17, 2012, 03:24:49 am »

I have them, but I haven't had the chance to use one, yet. I do keep throwing them at enemies by accident/habit, though, and at 300 greenstuff (because I can't get used to the real names) per grenade that is quite the expensive error.
Thats the worst thing i ever saw, really 300 frigging that for ONE revive grenade? FRAK they spam max faster than a rabbit breeding pit and it cost nothing... Ok they want to balance the revive grenade, but think about all the mistake we do when throwing at the ennemy, also you need to wait for 2-3 player to die to *worth* it then again, you are giving them 100 green thing each if they are only 3, also if there is more than 3 there is a good chance you will never get close enough to pop that damn grenande, instead of giving that high price, why not just decrease the range or i dont know something else?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:26 am »

-snip-
I know what you mean. I've ended up joining an outfit on EU1 where we've managed to field three full squads a few times now. Nothing quite like when a group is working well together.

Still died twice as many times as I've killed. It's the damn scythes and magriders that are killing me the most.

Just out of curiosity is anyone else finding that firing from the hip with the HA rifle works best unless at long range?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: September 17, 2012, 04:16:07 am »

Just out of curiosity is anyone else finding that firing from the hip with the HA rifle works best unless at long range?
Definitely. If you're close enough to hit from the hip with HA, always do it since mag size is a non-issue. If you got to sights/scope, you spent a split second and also lose your dancing ability.

...yes, I'm talking about dancing like it's 1999.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 826