Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085008 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3525 on: October 24, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »

One more reason to play NC :P

Bitches please, TR is where it's at, sure we get all of are land zerged at the end of the day, but we always retake it. ALWAYS.
... "retake" is a bit of a weird statement in this game. Who did it belong to in the first place? Everything has been retaken millions of times in the history of Auraxis. Also, the whole "which faction is bestest" discussion is so 200 pages ago...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: October 24, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »

Bitches please, TR is where it's at, sure we get all of are land zerged at the end of the day, but we always retake it. ALWAYS.
TR's a pretty great faction. There seems to be a nice ratio of skilled players even outside of outfits/squads. Not really my favorite gun designs though, but they get the job done. Speaking of which... Does any other faction's vehicle lock-on rocket launchers suffer from "bullet drop" when locked on? I'm assuming it's a bug or something, but I die a little inside every time I lock onto a tank, fire, and watch my rocket slowly crawl to the tank's feet... harmlessly exploding on the ground in front of it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »

... "retake" is a bit of a weird statement in this game. Who did it belong to in the first place? Everything has been retaken millions of times in the history of Auraxis. Also, the whole "which faction is bestest" discussion is so 200 pages ago...

Just representin' man. Anyways, I have observed that USUALLY certain factions have certain areas, and by retake I mean to reoccupy the usual locations.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3528 on: October 24, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »

Is it just me, or is the Esamir map a bit biased against whomever is in the northwest corner? Three corners are occupied - Southwest, Northwest, and Northeast. This leaves the Southeast side to be easily shared between the Northeast and the Southwest, while the one in the Northwest corner quickly hits the other faction's gates in both directions. The NE and SW sides have to go a bit further to attack each other instead of the faction in the NW. This seems to lead to a lot of double teaming against the faction on the Northwest. When the TR had it they were regularly getting hit by both the VS and the NC and rarely got more than 1/4 of the map. Now the NC have it and they're regularly getting double teamed by the TR and the VS.

Also, what's with the new vehicle sounds? Riding in a Sunderer across rough terrain sounds like an outboard motor is making love to a toaster.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:14 pm »

A lot of the fact that the NC is getting doubleteamed (both on Indar and Esamir, actually) is due to the sheer bitterness of those of us in the TR. At least on Thebes. I know the first few days after Esamir started to be a place you COULD go to fight and not just an NC farm, there were more than a few of us on Prox chat literally calling for no quarter charges against the Smurfs.

That said, I think part of Esamir/Indar's problem is that they're squares, which really don't work well for three-faction stuff. Indar with how it's set up is biased against the Northern faction, with the Vanu and NC regularly just taking massive chunks away from us with little to no trouble, just like you said about Esamir's problem with the NW gate. Indar's issue is that the Terran 'frontline' is just so darn long that you really can't have fast reaction forces like the NC/VS can do there. Esamir is kind of the opposite, you have no real frontline because the NW spot is just sort of shoehorned in.

tl;dr: We need water to be put in so we can have continents that are actually shaped like something other than a square, allowing us to not have a faction which is pretty much screwed from the get-go.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: October 24, 2012, 07:29:21 pm »

so, got a beta key and started playing.  So far two deaths and one crash... One was me flying while looking at the controls and another was me crashing my vehicle.  It is running decently well on a intel HD 3000 with the low graphic level.

I live in Canada, so is there any US group or shoudl I play by myself?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: October 24, 2012, 07:35:23 pm »

Biased against? North Indar has classically been easier to hold than South Indar, due to the relative flatness allowing for easy vehicle access from the north WG to the entire north, and the north-south transition being a difficult obstacle for anyone trying to invade with tanks (and the flat open plains pose a problem for invading aircraft with nowhere to dive for cover from AAA or lock-on missiles).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: October 24, 2012, 08:58:37 pm »

so, got a beta key and started playing.  So far two deaths and one crash... One was me flying while looking at the controls and another was me crashing my vehicle.  It is running decently well on a intel HD 3000 with the low graphic level.

I live in Canada, so is there any US group or shoudl I play by myself?

We have an Outfit on Thebes (US West). I'm In Ottawa myself and it runs well for me.

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: October 24, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

Biased against? North Indar has classically been easier to hold than South Indar, due to the relative flatness allowing for easy vehicle access from the north WG to the entire north, and the north-south transition being a difficult obstacle for anyone trying to invade with tanks (and the flat open plains pose a problem for invading aircraft with nowhere to dive for cover from AAA or lock-on missiles).

So what do you call it when it takes us twice as long to get a reaction force from one end to another? Seriously, that's the big problem. Yes, it's big and open, but it takes a ton of time for us to roll an armor convoy from the far-west to the far-east. It's also really not flat, but a gigantic morass of hills and tiny crevasses that tanks can and will get stuck in with no effort at all.

Okay, there's specific points you have to roll armor through due to the gigantic cliff. Fair enough, that can be very restricting, especially on the Vanu side where they've only really got the one way down. NC side has more like three or so, and they're usually much more prolific with being annoying backhacking jackwagons. But really, your argument that the north is easier to hold really relies on the concept of having troops waiting at ever end of it. They're really not, ever, and it's kind of unreasonable to expect people to sit at a tower doing absolutely nothing waiting for an attack to roll in. Which is where the whole 'travel time from one end of the front line to another' rather becomes an issue.

Also, you didn't really need to link wikipedia for that. You could just say 'anti-air'.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: October 24, 2012, 10:15:37 pm »

I always thought they should've just redesigned the old Planetside1 maps and stuck with them, perhaps even remove the forward warp-gate system and add the fracking Home-World system again.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: October 24, 2012, 10:29:48 pm »

It tends to work better when you can use galaxies to transport troops across the north instead of just sunderers or tanks, and liberators to bomb enemy tanks. There may be a bit of an imbalance right now (Not that it hasn't been in a perpetual pendulum of air-vs-anti-air balance swings).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: October 24, 2012, 11:10:30 pm »

I always thought they should've just redesigned the old Planetside1 maps and stuck with them, perhaps even remove the forward warp-gate system and add the fracking Home-World system again.
They removed sanctuaries because it means that it takes longer (especially for a new player) to get into the fight, they had to either wait in the sanctuary for the dropship thing to come and pick them up, or they had to go through the warpgate chain to get to where the action was. I agree with that to an extent, there's not much point to having the sanctuaries (other than the VR training thing, which would be nice to have back in some form so that weapons could be tested before they were bought, for instance). I would like to see there be an actual chain in the warpgates, so that it would be possible to entirely push a faction off a continent (with each faction having one home continent where their warp gate couldn't be captured), but I can also see why this hasn't been done, having a permament spawn for every faction on every continent means that everyone has a chance to see every continent, and if you're locked in your warp gate on one continent you can just jump to a different one and continue fighting relatively fairly.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: October 25, 2012, 09:56:08 am »

P-P-P-PATCH NOTES

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Many much needed fixes (most notably, no damage in warpgates to eliminate griefing, higher vechicle speeds needed to cause damage (as an engineer, I am very very grateful). And the fixed the damn turrets!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: October 25, 2012, 10:17:48 am »

•Projectile speed was increased.
•Damage at range was increased.

Oh great, because time to kill was way too long. I mean, sometimes I lived for half a second or even a full second after someone started shooting at me! We can't have that!  ::)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: October 25, 2012, 10:24:16 am »

•Projectile speed was increased.
•Damage at range was increased.

Oh great, because time to kill was way too long. I mean, sometimes I lived for half a second or even a full second after someone started shooting at me! We can't have that!  ::)

I think that was just referring to the Vanu, since it says "damage at range" and I'm pretty sure only the Vanu weapons diminish in damage the further they get.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 826