Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089302 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4095 on: November 22, 2012, 02:28:58 am »

I don't really have a problem killing people. The paid for guns might be a bit better, but the default ones are OK. I agree on the beginning scopes sucking though. I like the reflex sight on the LMGs and the 2x reflex sight on the other guns.

I even manage to take people out from a distance pretty regularly. Crouch and fire a few bursts and they're dead. Medic's gauss rifle is great for this, but the heavy's LMG can pull it off too (albeit at shorter ranges, gauss is way better at long range).

Haven't played a whole lot yet though. Spent a few hours here and there. Only racked up around 50 certs so far. Thinking I might save up for one of the heavy assault LMGs. The 250 point one with soft point looks nice, although to trick it out to the point that it's better than the basic one would probably require 450 points for the gun + the soft point + the extended magazine. Plus 30 for a sight. So 480 certs and I'd have a good one. Maybe another 100 for the compensator too... 580. Heh, maybe in a couple months? lol
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4096 on: November 22, 2012, 03:43:46 am »

So 480 certs and I'd have a good one. Maybe another 100 for the compensator too... 580. Heh, maybe in a couple months? lol
Hmmm??? Even without the bonus EXP I have been getting due to Alpha and stuff...
Thats like maybe... 3 - 6 days of just taking bases...
Just made like 30 or more in the last half hour of the server today just from cleaning up Aremish for a full NC Control...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: November 22, 2012, 04:09:24 am »

Income is quite varied, with alpha founders of course having a certain extra head start with there toys - which allows to farm faster, +bonus, which allows bigger, better toys rather quickly... and you see where that goes, don't cha?

I am wondering about what is to come in the next months - it'll take a while to get tired of it, regardless of how silly the grind is - and if or how they'll adjust the costs/income. I'm fairly sure the will boost cert gain eventually.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: November 22, 2012, 04:23:09 am »

Well I don't know...

Lets see...

If I wasn't Alpha Squad Set....

I would play as Medic, reviving everyone. Prob netting around 75Exp each revive. I would be using the F key whenever the skill was full and I was in the middle of a mob. Prob netting 50-100 exp each time if I place myself right. Healing nets you something like 5exp each second of healing. Healing everyone I could I would prob gain around 300exp an Hour at least...

So given how many times I have seen people go down and such and Hour of play would prob get me.... 15-25 Certs. Without Killing if Lucky...

Now if in that time I have been killing, and not being an idiot mind you as in running directly at them but actually flanking them, maybe 2 kills for each death without the odd chance I get kill spammed and die 10 times in a row... I would guess around 25 Kills during that Hour if I was more focused on Healing over killing, making 2500exp which is what, 10 more Certs...

If we had been taking land, if it was the Bio/Amp/Tech thats 4 Certs, most give 2 Certs with smaller ones giving 1 Cert. In an Hour of game, maybe 2 out 3 Fully Contested while working with a Zerg, maybe would take 1hr to take 5 small Bases, or 1Major and two minors... At least another 5-10 Certs if lucky...

So thats what? Around 50 Certs for an Hours Work as Medic focusing on my job. Throw in maybe that 25% Squad Bonus if working with a Squad and you could add maybe 2-5 more certs...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: November 22, 2012, 04:37:05 am »

Squad bonus? Wait, that means I have to actually interact with people more than just shooting them?

Not cool, SOE. Not cool.
Nothing important here, move along.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: November 22, 2012, 04:48:32 am »

Squad bonus? Wait, that means I have to actually interact with people more than just shooting them?

Not cool, SOE. Not cool.

You're the most worthless kind of player if you're serious.

Well I don't know...

Lets see...

If I wasn't Alpha Squad Set....

I would play as Medic, reviving everyone. Prob netting around 75Exp each revive. I would be using the F key whenever the skill was full and I was in the middle of a mob. Prob netting 50-100 exp each time if I place myself right. Healing nets you something like 5exp each second of healing. Healing everyone I could I would prob gain around 300exp an Hour at least...

So given how many times I have seen people go down and such and Hour of play would prob get me.... 15-25 Certs. Without Killing if Lucky...

Now if in that time I have been killing, and not being an idiot mind you as in running directly at them but actually flanking them, maybe 2 kills for each death without the odd chance I get kill spammed and die 10 times in a row... I would guess around 25 Kills during that Hour if I was more focused on Healing over killing, making 2500exp which is what, 10 more Certs...

If we had been taking land, if it was the Bio/Amp/Tech thats 4 Certs, most give 2 Certs with smaller ones giving 1 Cert. In an Hour of game, maybe 2 out 3 Fully Contested while working with a Zerg, maybe would take 1hr to take 5 small Bases, or 1Major and two minors... At least another 5-10 Certs if lucky...

So thats what? Around 50 Certs for an Hours Work as Medic focusing on my job. Throw in maybe that 25% Squad Bonus if working with a Squad and you could add maybe 2-5 more certs...

That's fairly close, maybe a bit optimistic. I played for about an hour today, mostly as medic, but I did switch to HA for a short time to deal with some tanks. But as mainly medic, focusing on healing and only taking shots when I encountered someone alone or was backed into a corner, I racked up about 30 certs. And I'll be the first to admit that the ground game isn't my specialty. All throughout the beta I was primarily pilot.

Best situation I found was some fighting near a tech plant wall close to a gate. Plenty of cover for me to stay in and heal the people who would get hurt/killed after popping out to fire. In that situation I'd actually emptied my rifle ammo, getting a few kills and assists along the way and by the time I died (tanks finally rolled up on us) I'd almost emptied my pistol as well. That scenario was about 15 minutes of fighting and got me 10-12 certs by itself.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: November 22, 2012, 04:49:45 am »

Oh thats how i make my certs.

Of course you assume that 30 (wounded) people stand around you when you hit squad heal
Or that you are the only medic, ever.
Or that the enemy will never shot/suicide bomb you : D [these people around you died of the flu, right?]
Or that most of the dead aren't just from teamkills/vehicle crushes/suicides - which give you 0 xp
Or that they never refuse the revive (god knows why...)
Or that your connection is always perfect and the game never crashes (god I wish)
Or that sometimes you just can't heal a dude cause he clipped into the ground (sigh)
... and so on.

---

Serious competition between medics, sometimes they don't even pick other medics up to ensure there is less people stealing there heals.

I'm not here to argue, but amusing a theory without ya, know, that stuff, just seems to give the wrong idea... I do get tons of xp as medic :3

---

Tip: Just grind down the Q button, you get the odd spotting xp.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:53:08 am by ThtblovesDF »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: November 22, 2012, 05:18:14 am »

Not cool, SOE. Not cool.

You're the most worthless kind of player if you're serious.

I don't like to squad with people I don't know, so most of the time I lone wolf. I do well enough, I only ever play HA anyway.

Still, though, I only get 20 certs an hour... but people...
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: November 22, 2012, 09:54:46 am »

My problem with squadding is the same problem I have had with literally every game ever that's used squads (Except that Empires mod for HL2, that one somehow made it work).  Nobody fucking cares.  Seriously.  I hit insert and it puts me with people halfway across the map.  Even if I manage to get with them they're not working together.  No one's communicating. 

It kind of feels like most of the gameplay right now (It's only the third day of the game, I suppose) is just people zerging around, taking bases, and losing them later.  That's not very good for the Mattherson NC, since the Enclave is already getting geared up.
Shoes...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:11 am »

My problem with squadding is the same problem I have had with literally every game ever that's used squads (Except that Empires mod for HL2, that one somehow made it work).  Nobody fucking cares.  Seriously.  I hit insert and it puts me with people halfway across the map.  Even if I manage to get with them they're not working together.  No one's communicating. 

It kind of feels like most of the gameplay right now (It's only the third day of the game, I suppose) is just people zerging around, taking bases, and losing them later.  That's not very good for the Mattherson NC, since the Enclave is already getting geared up.

Oh, great, we have the Enclave on our server? More reason we should get our Unit up and running. Is their a unit yet? I'd lead if I had more free time.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: November 22, 2012, 10:27:34 am »

How does one rank up in the commander area?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: November 22, 2012, 10:30:24 am »

Look, if you're playing the game alone, you don't really give a shit about other people, you just want to cap a few skulls, and blow shit up in reavers and 'squitos. If you really want to be able to work together find a platoon with friday night events, the chances of finding a random squad with good teamwork are nil (however sometimes during big assaults 'communication is key' squads form, those sometimes work out) besides, the game just came out, im sure people will get their shit together, especially once we get alot of platoons. Sadly the game will never be entirely dominated by platoons, because pubs like pubbin'.

EDIT: you just have to liberally apply cert points to the 'command' (I think) cert section.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: November 22, 2012, 10:50:20 am »

What I really want to know is how people can fly these fucking planes.  Is there some kind of neural uplink peripheral I haven't heard of?  Because there's no way people are flying these things with a mouse.
Shoes...

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:42 am »

Oh, great, we have the Enclave on our server?
Didn't someone say they had a vendetta to forfill earlier? I'm pretty sure that's why everyone bundled onto that server as NC.

Serious competition between medics, sometimes they don't even pick other medics up to ensure there is less people stealing there heals.

I'm not here to argue, but amusing a theory without ya, know, that stuff, just seems to give the wrong idea... I do get tons of xp as medic :3

That's silly! I make most of my xp by reviving foolish medics.
I was in a battle yesterday where there must have been 3 or 4 of us medics and only a few other troops. When I got into that situation, I thought we were a bit medic heavy, but the enemies were just taking us down left right and centre and we had tonnes of work to do, to the point that we were having to cover each other as we revived. Often having to revive each other too!
Such fun!

Prepost ninja edit:
What I really want to know is how people can fly these fucking planes.  Is there some kind of neural uplink peripheral I haven't heard of?  Because there's no way people are flying these things with a mouse.
Well, easier than with a joystick.  >:(
Probably a 360 pad or something. Seriously the system can't handle joysticks. At least not mine.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4109 on: November 22, 2012, 11:13:19 am »

So 480 certs and I'd have a good one. Maybe another 100 for the compensator too... 580. Heh, maybe in a couple months? lol
Hmmm??? Even without the bonus EXP I have been getting due to Alpha and stuff...
Thats like maybe... 3 - 6 days of just taking bases...
Just made like 30 or more in the last half hour of the server today just from cleaning up Aremish for a full NC Control...

I haven't been playing that much, though. Since release I've gained about 50 certs, most of which I spent on other little things like nanoweave armor. At my current rate of playing and saving extra certs it will probably take a month or so :P
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 826