Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089332 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Don't worry, the TR have their share of dumbasses. I've seen them stack Gals 5 high at the gate. I think it was a competition or something.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nevyn, the squad was so unorganised last night 8PM without you. We need AusGrizzly02 back.
Well excuse me for having to work. Also, For those in Briggs AU...
We MVEE have a Steam Group...... Somewhere.... Anyway Going to start using it to get us all together when game goes down and such. But there may be comps later in the future where some money may be the prize to be used on Station Cash for either Boosts, Upgrades or Cosmetics of your own choosing. I wouldn't mind giving away some free stuff every now and then....

Don't worry, the TR have their share of dumbasses. I've seen them stack Gals 5 high at the gate. I think it was a competition or something.
Something I been wanting to do for a while for fun...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:37:40 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeahhhhh. The NC are really bad pilots, because there is always a flipped bird somewhere. Aircraft too.
You forget the griefing jerks that flip landed aircrafts.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeahhhhh. The NC are really bad pilots, because there is always a flipped bird somewhere. Aircraft too.
You forget the griefing jerks that flip landed aircrafts.
Whats even more impressive and annoying is those that Flip the Gals taking off and just leaving the Bubble...

In Beta I was taking off with a full Gal trying to avoid any Grevereavers. I was almost away when suddenly from my below I watch in amazement as just before we leave the bubble a Reaver rises upwards, tucking itself under my right wing then slamming down quickly on the vertical thrust. My Gal compleatly flipped over within a moment of flight and without realizing it we had turned straight into the ground centermetres out of the Bubble...

It was quite impressive...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.

I managed to flip my lightning while following a squad leader driving very recklessly in a Sunderer. Surprisingly I didn't blow up, I was just stuck there unable to turn back over. Even more surprisingly, the Sunderer tumbled down the same hill and managed to not only flip completely over, but land right side up at the bottom and keep going.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

I proudly landed a Galaxy on a landing pad on one of those tower things once. A minute or so later, I turn around to witness it slowly teeter off the edge and fall to the ground, killing a few people in the process. It claimed that I killed them for some reason.

Haven't driven a Galaxy before or since.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few of you may have seen this already but if not then here is part of the blog from the CEO John Smedley.

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

8) Weather

9) Mac version (soon after launch).

Some of these sound awesome, what do you guys think?  You can read the full blog here :  http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

So I was looking at what it takes to buy stuff with real money... damn they made things really expensive.  Most of the weapons cost almost $10.  Buy two things, and you've basically paid what I normally pay for a full game.  Pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.  But the certification points come painfully slowly.  I would be more forgiving about this, but a lot of the stuff has a pretty solid Pay-to-Win feel about it.  All of the stuff besides weapons are blatant linear upgrades, and they add up pretty high.  You can make more of an argument over weapon balance, but I've seen my performance increase drastically when trialing some of the more expensive ones.

I prefer Blacklight's execution of the F2P model.  This game is addictive, but frustrating.  I'm already feeling like I should just walk away now, before I get too involved.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:04:49 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

More or less.

It's for people who want to be all srs bsns. I still like my engineer just the way he is and I don't play super often anyway. Sure, my guy looks like a dork in spandex, but hey. He's my dork in spandex.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile

I don't get the kneejerk response of calling this game and other free games "pay 2 win".
Is there another free 2 play model I'm not aware of?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't get the kneejerk response of calling this game and other free games "pay 2 win".
Is there another free 2 play model I'm not aware of?

Beats me. With the up'd cert gain on release, the 250-1000 certs to unlock a weapon are pretty easy to come by. There are no in-game weapons that /force/ you to pay money to unlock. I suspect that it's in the same vane as when people complained that all the subscription MMOs catered only to hardcore players because they unlocked everything faster than the casual players.

Any game that has thousands of people playing simultaneously and allows them to play at their own speed will have some players with different skill levels and unlocks than others. There will also always be people that will be frustrated with that, and that's understandable. That said, I'm impressed with SOE's dedication to making every weapon in-game reasonably unlockable without spending money.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I remember in the beta, on esamir, somebody got his lightning stuck in one of the ditches.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

The ideal Free 2 Play model is one where paying only gets you cosmetics or "side-grades" that focus on customization rather than upgrades.  That business model may be less likely to generate profit, but it's much healthier for the game experience.

Seriously check out Blacklight: Retribution if you haven't already.  It pulls off a palatable F2P model very well.  You unlock new stuff without paying at a pace that maintains interest.  If you play 2-3 hours a day, you'll get a minor customization every couple days or a new weapon a week or a piece of armor or something after a couple weeks.  That's the maximum amount of time it will take you.  Not a single item in the game feels like a linear upgrade.  They all have equivalent bonuses and penalties, and only really serve to cater to play style and give you stuff to toy with.

League of Legends is probably the most successful example.  Purely cosmetic marketplace.

Planetside 2, on the other hand... it feels like it will be months before I have even a single class with halfway upgraded utlities and a 1000 cert weapon,  if I put in comparable hours, and everything is linear upgrades.

But anyway... I did just log out of the game after a really fun session.  I went off capturing undefended facilities as an infiltrator again.  There was another guy doing the same thing, so we teamed up.  We captured like 5 areas together before moving on to our first major battle.  Suddenly our squad grew to max size, we got invited to a platoon, and I was really starting to look into coordinating things.  Too bad I had to leave not long afterwards.  That was getting really fun.  I think I'll make greater efforts to get involved like that in the future.  It may convince me to stick around.  If only people used their mics more.  I was the only person who talked.  Come to think of it, that's probably why people ended up following me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:10:25 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Or TF2.
Anything that's not a cosmetic item or a weapon with a purely cosmetic effect can be traded for easily. (unless new, worth 1 scrap = two weapons = about an hour of playing.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 826