Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089154 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

I had a ton of fun earlier defending a base though. Started out as a sniper as usual and got off a few kills, but then I noticed that both the TR and Vanu were constantly drop podding onto the roof of the complex to get to sniper positions of their own. Queue the Max Roof Defence Unit 2012. I went up on the roof and took cover in some kind of big turbine thing and just popped them as they exited the drop pods. It was hilarious :p

I must say though that cert gain is so slow... getting into an airplane is pretty much pointless for me since I am not even close to getting missiles/rockets and without em well good luck surviving, much less getting a kill heh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The thread isn't terribly active, and the speculation is still on topic, so I think it's fine.

New idea, playing off of the actual name of the thing:

The whole planet has high concentrations of ferrous ores, to the point that every bit of earth and ice is seeded with powder and pebbles of iron ore. The magrider gets its name because the levitation system is twofold: One mechanism polarizes the iron beneath the tank, and the other is one or more powerful electromagnets set to project the opposite polarity downward, allowing it to "float". It can't fly because the magnetic repulsion is only effective out to a certain distance.

This would mesh well with the main gun, which is apparently some sort of directed plasma cannon. Generally the way those are purported to work is by ionizing the plasma and using magnetic fields to project the entire mass in a single direction.

Since the magrider has a fairly wide base and low center of gravity, and the entire surface of the planet repels it, we've got an explanation for how it can climb near-vertical slopes: as long as there's some sort of angle, it can get magnetic "traction", and with the magboost it can maintain velocity rather than slowing and stopping.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's significantly advanced alien technology, and thus akin to magic... stop trying to explain it.

(Disclaimer: This only applies to in game and most otherwise fictional things. I fully support trying to explain any actual real world phenomena, similar to this or otherwise.)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's significantly advanced alien technology, and thus akin to magic... stop trying to explain it.

(Disclaimer: This only applies to in game and most otherwise fictional things. I fully support trying to explain any actual real world phenomena, similar to this or otherwise.)

Seconded. If tech in games could be easily explained with science, then we'd have that tech in the real world. If we knew exactly what properties affected anti-gravity tech, and what we'd need to have it, someone would've thrown money at it to make it real.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Seconded. If tech in games could be easily explained with science, then we'd have that tech in the real world. If we knew exactly what properties affected anti-gravity tech, and what we'd need to have it, someone would've thrown money at it to make it real.

We could have had asteroid mining colonies and a moon base decades ago. We could have had electric cars half a century ago. We did have electric trolly networks in a lot of major cities back around the very early 1900s, but they were bought up and run into the ground by auto manufacturers.

Point is, just because something is possible and cool doesn't mean it will be done.

On a similar note, just because we understand how something works doesn't mean we can actually do it. We've got a theoretical FTL drive, but that doesn't mean we're sending out FTL ships. We understand (more or less) how to do a core tap, but we can't do it (both because of the logistics and because it would be potentially really fucking stupid). Newton understood gravity, but that didn't mean he could directly measure it. The Nazis had rocketry, but they couldn't put someone into space.

Point the first: Just because something is understood and possible doesn't mean it will automatically happen, or can be practically applied.

Point the second: Don't be Stop Having Fun Guys, even for WMG. It's entertaining and doesn't harm anything. Also, I have to question whether lasers and plasma are really "significantly advanced" considering that we can already build pretty damned powerful lasers, and have at least a theoretical understanding of how to weaponize plasma.

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Doesn't earth itself already have a very high amount of iron in its crust?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Something like 5%. Oxygen and silicates are much more common, though.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, I have to question whether lasers and plasma are really "significantly advanced" considering that we can already build pretty damned powerful lasers, and have at least a theoretical understanding of how to weaponize plasma.
Might just be that to make the components small & sturdy enough to be used in infantry weapons would require advanced stuff

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I ment in comparison to other (rock) planets.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I ment in comparison to other (rock) planets.
Not particular, to the extent of our current knowledge. Most of our crustal iron comes from iron-rich meteorites, and it has been proven that Mars' color is due to high levels of iron oxide in the regolith.

3. Run Resize Enable

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

I believe I heard someone say that the scythe manipulates the planets natural magnetic field to keep itself aloft. The magrider could be doing the same thing, but to a lesser extent due to the magrider having more mass than the scythe.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Well if we want be 100% realistic then, there are no magriders, there is a value somewhere that determines whether or not a group of tiny LEDs are a certain colour and that's it, I don't know what the hell you guys see when you play this game, all I see are a bunch of shiny lights in a rectangular box.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Well if we want be 100% realistic then, there are no magriders, there is a value somewhere that determines whether or not a group of tiny LEDs are a certain colour and that's it, I don't know what the hell you guys see when you play this game, all I see are a bunch of shiny lights in a rectangular box.

I see a mental representation of the patterns of light waves emitted by thousands of sources aligned on a flat plane, organized by wavelength, and classified by way of linguistic name-definitions which carry certain cultural implications, all arranged to form a comprehensible representation of the viewpoint of an artificial secondary physical shell which my mind can control using motions of my primary shell which correspond to changes in the secondary visual-spatial environment in order to disorder the arrangement of the secondary shells controlled by other minds, as causing disorder is a pleasurable experience when it is known to be an illusion, especially when said disordering is accompanied by visual and auditory stimuli.

3. Run Resize Enable

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could have had asteroid mining colonies and a moon base decades ago. We could have had electric cars half a century ago. We did have electric trolly networks in a lot of major cities back around the very early 1900s, but they were bought up and run into the ground by auto manufacturers.

Point is, just because something is possible and cool doesn't mean it will be done.

On a similar note, just because we understand how something works doesn't mean we can actually do it. We've got a theoretical FTL drive, but that doesn't mean we're sending out FTL ships. We understand (more or less) how to do a core tap, but we can't do it (both because of the logistics and because it would be potentially really fucking stupid). Newton understood gravity, but that didn't mean he could directly measure it. The Nazis had rocketry, but they couldn't put someone into space.

Point the first: Just because something is understood and possible doesn't mean it will automatically happen, or can be practically applied.

Point the second: Don't be Stop Having Fun Guys, even for WMG. It's entertaining and doesn't harm anything. Also, I have to question whether lasers and plasma are really "significantly advanced" considering that we can already build pretty damned powerful lasers, and have at least a theoretical understanding of how to weaponize plasma.

I stand chastised... why DON'T we have a moonbase?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I stand chastised... why DON'T we have a moonbase?

Because all the profit to be had from it wouldn't start showing up until the people who started work on it were dead. It's one of the central flaws of our economic model: nothing gets done unless the corporation that does it gets a fast payoff, and the government can't get funding for things that aren't popular. Hence why we went from full-gear Space Race to essentially nil (beyond occasional shuttle missions) after the Cold War. Also obviously barring very wealthy people and groups who want to do something because it's awesome a good idea, as with SpaceX and that asteroid mining project that isn't expected to see any sort of meaningful production until 2025.

But yeah, basically it's because there's no short-term financial payout in space exploration and development, despite it being completely essential to the continued development of our civilization and our long-term survival as a species.  :-\

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 826