Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084976 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Having read a few posts commenting assualting the Crown as the PS2 equivalent of Omaha beach has made me realize the one thing the Crown lacks.
There's a distinct lack of cover when rushing up these bottlenecks.
Spoiler: Bottlenecks (click to show/hide)
No wonder the zerg just sits down near the southern ramp. The small rocks and the bridge are about the only things keeping you alive from the hordes of MAXes, snipers, HA, LA and mana turrets! You can hug the rock wall as much as you like, but without cover, there's no way to survive the charge.

Last night, we had tanks on the southern ridge bombarding the Crown. Infantry stacked upon each other at the southern ramp. Others were keeping the NC busy at the northern hex and Zurvan. But any kind of charge we made up the hill got mowed down in the wall of bullets.

Without cover, all you really get is... Well Sarge describes it best.

The constant death made me lose interest quite fast compared to our Freyr Amp Station assault. This one assault lasted for a few hours. The NC were putting up one hell of a defence, with the TR poking their noses in (as always...) every now and then. I don't seem to get most of the criticism against the Amp Station design. Yes, it's practically an egg with a hard shell and soft core but that makes it so more interesting! You keep the enemy at bay at the walls for as long as possible. You absolutely must keep the vehicle shield generators up and running or you will get overrun by tanks and Sunderers. If they go down, it gets much harder to defend it from inside. At this point, depending on the number of enemies that have gotten inside, you may consider sallying forth and launch a counterattack from outside the base, from a place of strength. Get the shield generators up while cleaning up the base.

The amp stations, AFAIK, were originally civilian structures. The military facilities were built adhoc. Once the military structures are lost, you are defending a civilian structure.

In comparison to the Crown, the large amount of cover actually makes the battles intense and keeps up your interest. We managed to take down the vehicle shield generators but they were repaired quickly so we didn't manage to send in any large number of vehicles that didn't die to mines or AV weapons. Eventually we got lucky and cracked the shell. But the NC kept on pounding until the base had switched hands and they went away to regroup.

I think the problem that is really irking people is the lack of a proper early warning system (or usual apathy). Without it, the vehicle shield generators will be down before you can mount a proper defence.

In any case, the Crown needs a small design tweak to make the battles more interesting and not just cert farms. It need to be defensible, yes, but not unconquerable. My take on the thing is to put up cover on both ramps. Move the vehicle spawn down near the base of the southern ramp. This prevents vehicle charging from playing too big of a role. Tanks and the like can sit on the southern hill to function as mobile artillery platforms as the infantry charges uphill in intense fighting while still not being pressed into a insurmountable wall of bullets. Sunderers line up the bridges with AMS ready while a few are at the back. LA and infiltrators charge up from the north, while HA and maxes charge from the south.

Defenders can still defend up on the hill but they won't be able to fully rely on walls of bullets to defend.

As a final thought experiment, what would happen if the engineer was given the ability to place down cover, practically invulnerable to small arms but weak to heavy weapons and explosives and also blocks vehicle movement? Let's also assume it's a one time thing only, costs infantry resources and can't be too close to each other for balancing. A bit like laying down barbed wire, but more practical.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Let the infiltrators handle that.
>.>
Technology is power after all.
(Yeah, took me a while to understand some of the game's mechanics, but it's a blast when you get into the really heated areas going all 'OH F...' with explosions around)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

If you can get a decent number of full galaxies to simultaneously drop and get a terminal hacked plus a sunderer spawned it's possible to fairly reliably take the crown. Great fun to do it this way also.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Yeah, I was in a platoon last night and one of the squads managed to take the crown rather quickly, relatively speaking. Of course, I don't know how large the opposition was. Still, I think it's a slight design issue when the intuitive path isn't on a somewhat equal footing with the out-of-the-box path. I mean, I can easily design a puzzle oriented around breaking RSA encryption, but without intuitively knowing that only a quantum computer can solve it in a reasonable time, no wonder that people will complain when their own brute force computer can't.

In my opinion, both paths should be viable. The difference is numbers. There should be a breaking point where the defence will fall. Problem is that the intuitive one is set slightly too high when the long, narrow, straight and coverless trenches incentivizes a stagnated frontline with players huddling at the endpoints and not moving forward. It doesn't need to be at running speed, you just need to make at least some kind of progress.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you can get a decent number of full galaxies to simultaneously drop and get a terminal hacked plus a sunderer spawned it's possible to fairly reliably take the crown. Great fun to do it this way also.

The real problem with the crown imo is that players never properly organize themselves to take it. I love how there are locations that truly are difficult to capture and can be defended by a relatively smaller force against those who aren't playing at their best at the moment.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

The question, of course, is how much is "relatively smaller"? 10:1, 100:1, more? There must be a reasonable breaking point somewhere.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the engie does have its... whatever that machine is called that summons the turret, and a extra ammo box if you change the fire mod on it.  Why can't it have three or four functions?  Speaking of which, that turret I can never find a use for, and why is the head unprotected with that shield thing?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

To make sure the turret is COMPLETELY useless against everything except people who didn't see you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I personally love the crown, just take a tank and drive down the road, I get a average of 10 kills in the 2 sec it takes till you explode there.

And if ya lagging, go medic. Dead guys don't move.

rastrum

• Bay Watcher
  • The Computer Is Your Friend
    • View Profile

Eh, I've noticed that sometimes if it's lagging that it won't give experience for heals and revives, which is kind of frustrating.  Also frustrating is the lack of clear indication that a medic is trying to rez you until they're actually finished.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

In other news, current OP weapon is the tank mine. Finally I can solo instagib sundies. They cost a fair bit, and only work on vehicles, but the engy can carry three for 300 certs, and that is enough to kill any land-based vehicle. So now I am solo-zerg-managing. I set up sundies in good locations, then start hunting for enemy sundies and leave the primary objectives to the others. This tactic works surprisingly well, as closer spawn == more zerg and currently even good, organised squads cannot hold off zergs for very long.

3 may be a bit overkill, as I find 2 tank mines takes out anything. Their advantage is that they're slightly cheaper than C4 and don't require pulling the trigger (which can be a problem when you're dead) but are less versatile. I'm starting to try out the vehicle grenades and they're unfortunately pretty meh at this point, although further testing is required. Today I had to defend the Amerish AMX Reserve by myself and managed to blow up two magriders with C4 + Grenade + 1 Rocket, so I guess it's decent. MAX units also die rather easily and don't require getting close or tricking them.

I'm not sure what happened to the existing outfit on Matherson but today Duuvian and I started a new one. Just PM GlowcatNC or Duuvian if you want an invite.

I'm fairly certain that they can also be detonated manually by shooting them, as I've seen quite a few people get killed by them during shield door standoffs.

Speaking of which, Allatum Biolab. On Mattherson it has been a constant zerg for the past couple days not least because half the people there are medics farming revives in the teleporter rooms (aka being absolutely useless). When we get organized and grab a ton of territory to force the defenders out, it still doesn't get taken because most of the people who stayed behind were those same gorram useless medics.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Solution: Start farming the medics. Kill them, then revive them :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anti tank mines? I had thought about trying those out but have been saving for air to ground missles and a shotty, both 1000 certs.  :(

But if you say they're good I might give them a go, spicen up my engineer playstyle a bit. Where do you tend to place these mines you say?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Under deployed sunderers. Most people don't use the mineguard so that means that if you sneak/rush it you can take it out in an instant.
Take defending an amp station for example. you jump around on the towers tying to spot a sunderer by the wall, which there almost always is one. I've lightened the load for the defender many times by doing this.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

You run up to an enemy sundy, run along it while dropping them, and keep running. BOOM. I've seen this style referred to as "suicide bombing" as it's very possible to get caught in the explosion.

Cons of the mines: a bit expensive on your personel-resources. Hard to predict where the tanks will drive, and I don't know how long they stay active, and if they stay active after death.

Pros: VERY EFFING POWERFUL. Three kills anything, and apparently even two can (haven't tested this). You can still drop ammo by pressing "b" when deploying a turret, so you don't lose a slot. For killing sundies it's even better than C4.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 826