Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085021 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

The cost comes at close range where it's at its weakest. Most people, however, seem to want to kill it from long range which is the ideal range for a Magrider. This is what creates the "OP illusion".
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Frankly, the lack of a primary turret is a major weakness. When you have to turn the whole body of your tank to track a target, that means that:

1. It is much easier to be outflanked.
2. You have fewer effective firing positions, in part because you can't peek effectively, and in part because the cannon is so low. There's no such thing as firing from defilade/hull down for a Magrider.
3. You can't scan for targets without exiting to third person or shifting the whole tank.
4. You can't effectively engage targets along a wide front without exposing your side and rear armor to direct fire.

There's a reason why turrets are the norm for tanks. The only place where you see design like this is in tank destroyers, which make up for the lack of a turret with heavy frontal armor and an oversized main gun. The Magrider has the same deal, except that it "trades" the turret for better mobility. Quotation marks because there's no reason why the Magrider shouldn't have a turret apart from game balance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I think I mentioned it before but I wish there was at least an option to allow a third person to control the main turret. Tank battles could be much more interesting this way.

Edit: I don't drive tanks very often but I've never been able to get that close to magriders and they've never proven particularly weak when I've accidentally found myself bumper to bumper. They can still boost away, even over you sometimes, and their strongest side is always facing you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:59:21 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Have you tried flanking it at close range or get behind it?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

No but then I've only found myself really close in choke points before. Can't they turn faster than you can drive around them anyway?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

It depends on the conditions and (possibly) on the certs you have in your respective vehicles. I'd rough-estimate that a Lightning can outflank a Magrider at anywhere inside of ~200 meters without much trouble, and the other MBTs could probably do so as well at closer range. The point being that any other tank can circle while firing or rotate their turret to track the person flanking them, whereas the Magrider has to keep trying to turn to face the tank circling them. Same deal with infantry with RPGs; they can make a dash past, and if there are any obstacles around, the Magrider can't do much about it.

And keep in mind that in pretty much every battle there won't be just one MBT on each side, so when the Magrider turns to follow the flanker, everything else on the other side has a clean shot at their back armor.

3. Run Resize Enable

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Fair enough. I guess I've just been unlucky when it comes to the terrain I've fought them over. Oh and my almost complete lack of experience with tank combat in this game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

It's not terribly different from Battlefield or WoT tanking, though the terrain tends to not always be the best for tank warfare, especially with the steep cliffs and slopes in Indar and the jungle continent that I can never remember the name of. Can't count how many times I've accidentally driven into an inescapable hole and had to bail.

Interesting side note, apparently there's a module for the Sundie that lets it resupply tanks that are nearby.

3. Run Resize Enable

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yea, and I have heard that it provides a decent amout of exp, is under a different category than the deploy thing too.  This is the ammo icon that shows up on the sides of some shunderers.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's just that aircraft have it relatively easy to camp a spawn. I feel it's gradually changing though, more and more burstersmaxes are popping up, especially near spawnpoints. This is a great deterrent for the light aircraft podders.
Besides if the enemy has gotten to the point they can surround the spawn they have pretty much conquered the facility.

I still prefer the base fights of ps1.
Ground vehicles and aircraft are useful inbetween bases and to push into the courtyard, but to actually get to the objective(spawn/generator/control consoles/llu) you need infantry to go into enclosed/underground areas.

With about 3-5ish ways of entering the infantry-only areas and a decent number of choke points (usually with a few alternative routes) and open areas you'd see quite a bit of fighting even when the attackers had superior numbers. On some base layouts it could drag on for a bit but after a while the base would run out of fuel unless the defenders manage to secure the courtyard long enough to bring replacements.

The base walls were also a lot more effective at keeping attackers outside so that interesting fights happend around bases, within the courtyard and inside. The base lattice provided structure to how frontlines formed and in which order stuff got attacked.
Instead bases in ps2 come with a silly number of vulnerable objectives each with more ways of entering than a typical ps1 base. Most of the rooms housing an objective (if it even is inside) will have some open spot in every direction so its always possible to get shot in the back while trying to defend that spot. Nice...
Some of the capture points in ps2 can actually be taken by driving up to them in a tank and parking there. I even managed to drive a lightning right next to the "A" control terminal room in one of the aircraft tower bases on indar.

There also was way more space between bases for battles to occur, where as in ps2 you can see/shoot into adjacent bases easily. It was easy to fly around for a few minutes without getting close to any base. In ps2 you cant avoid running into them not to mention that you run off the map within what feels like 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:09:33 am by Idranel »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Also I've been told that armour is calculated by where the shot is originating from, not where it hits (so you can face them with your front when they fire, turn your sides and the damage will be calculated as if the shell hit the front).

And getting up close to Magriders is anything but easy, it can be done sure, but it either needs superior numbers, sneaakyness or their pilots to be complete idiots. And as stated before they rarely come alone, sure other factions usually hunt in packs too, but personally the biggest organized assaults have come the VS.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And getting up close to Magriders is anything but easy, it can be done sure, but it either needs superior numbers, sneaakyness or their pilots to be complete idiots.

Unless they have a second person in the gunner seat they can barely see anything of their surroundings.
Just place enough tank mines. Either they eventually run into them or they sit around until someone places the mines right under the mag.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The advantage of Magriders is that you can (and should) always be mobile. Of the tanks it is the hardest to successfully bomb, with the only reliable class to do it being Light Assault. The tanks practically feel like infantry and can move around in cramped bases with a little difficulty. Predicting their movements beforehand with defensive mines is also more difficult than for the other tanks because, like honey badger, Magrider don't give no fuck about which terrain it's going over. You might as well place tank mines on your walls when dealing with Magriders. I'm constantly amazed by how little other Magrider drivers take advantage of their abilities. Instead they seem to choose the most boring routes possible and calmly follow the massive zerg as if they were boring tanks but Magriders aren't boring tanks meant for boring roads, they're radical tanks made for radical travel.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

It's been a while since i blew up a magrider.

Then again, I was stupid enough to place only one tank mine when I did have the chance.

I need some advice, this is what I'm planning to buy:

Zephyr with night vision for lib.
AMS and mine guard for sundie.

Any advice? I have about 250 certs.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Flanking a magrider is nigh impossible even for a mobile lightning tank.
I've managed it but I imagine that's only because I have the rival performance cert and the enemy didn't. A magrider with that cert maxed would be so good at turning you're only going to see its front in a close quarter tank fight.
Wich is even more problematic when you consider most magrider drivers with even half a brain will get the frontal armor upgrade, making them complete highly mobile juggernauts. The only practical way to deal with magriders is to outgun them, outnumber one so one can shoot the front and one the back, or to sneak up as heavy with c4 and launcher.

Me personally I'd say vanu needs a few more nerfs across the board. Their accuracy is supposed to be high on their infantry yes, but I find it to high. They shouldn't be able to snipe someone behind a mana turret from long range with a basic rifle.
Their rate of fire is a little to high as well, they just do to much damage for the accucy they have going. I fear vanu more then I fear terran in close range where the terran high rate of fire rifles should shine.
That rocket launcher, s1 I think it is, should have some form of bullet drop as well. It's just way to strong. Lastly the scythe seems balanced to me.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 826