Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089679 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

The problem is that infantry currently has no place beyond capping a point in the game, and the spawns are so easy to spawn camp that it's useless to do anything else once you've stepped foot into a base and removed any sundies in the area. Redesigning the bases would allow much more diversity, and mitigate the bland spawn camping.

Also, SCU destruction is supposed to be the hint to spawn somewhere else, not the fact that you're getting spawn camped. You can spawn somewhere else, sure, but it's going to be a good 10 minutes of waiting until the zerg caps and moves to the place you spawned at. Neither the spawn campers nor the spawn campees are going to change their play style because there's currently no reward for doing anything else, and, quite frankly, choosing not to be spawn camped is boring unless there's another good battle going on.

When a significant portion of the player base has been doing the thing that they're "not supposed to do" and doesn't show any signs of stopping, a design decision must be made. Ultimately the players are going to do whatever's the most fun and/or rewarding, not what's the "smartest".
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IMO a major part of why infantry is completely useless is the fact that there are no proper indoor areas. In most buildings you get like two rooms connected by a corridor, which might have a bend in it if you're lucky. And there are no doors that you could close to keep vehicles from shooting their explosive shells inside, just doorways and holes in the walls in place of windows. The only infantry-only areas are the biolab domes, and those are too small for a good fight. Usually you just get a lengthy meat grinder on the landing pads, then once the attackers manage to push inside it's all about camping the spawn room.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

IMO a major part of why infantry is completely useless is the fact that there are no proper indoor areas. In most buildings you get like two rooms connected by a corridor, which might have a bend in it if you're lucky. And there are no doors that you could close to keep vehicles from shooting their explosive shells inside, just doorways and holes in the walls in place of windows. The only infantry-only areas are the biolab domes, and those are too small for a good fight. Usually you just get a lengthy meat grinder on the landing pads, then once the attackers manage to push inside it's all about camping the spawn room.

This. Frankly, I'd much rather have the PS1 grinding attrition battles in sealed bases than the current zerg blitzkrieg style of capture. Even biolabs fights are changed by having air nearby, just look at the clusters of ESFs and Libs that are always hovering over the pads of any decent-sized biolab fight, firing blindly inside. Not to mention that they make defensive drops virtually impossibly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Any NC Matherson on to invite me to the B12 outfit?  Name's ToasterTheAwesome.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any NC Matherson on to invite me to the B12 outfit?  Name's ToasterTheAwesome.

I'll see about inviting you when I get back on. Just crashed from what I'm guessing is that prevalent exploit that's ruining the game.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

What server does B12 normally play on? Also, can I get an invite to the gang or whatever it is? Since we're pro-liberty and everything, I'm assuming that army meals are potluck rather than funded by taxes, so I'll bring the ice. And maybe a salad or something.

Planepacked + Planetside = Planetpacked. I'm not really sure what this means.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:49:54 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're really a bit scattered right now, although the herd of cats is somewhat converging on Matherson as NC (or Vanu traitors).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can do that. See you on Mattherson.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I, too, have a character on Mattherson, called Olemars3 and would like an invite. Also wish SOE would let you use the same character name on more than one server. I might rename/remake my Mattherson character soonish, since on reflection having a char with "ars3" in the name was perhaps shortsighted and nobody on voip can pronounce my nick anyway.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do anti-tank mines and other deployables work? If I deploy a bunch and go offline, do I get credit if it kills a tank? Is it possible to deploy some AT mines and then switch to and deploy AP mines? How limited are AT mines?

One more thing, are there any long-distance weapons for the engie?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

AT mines are pretty powerfull and you can eventually get a big enough stash of them.

I'm pretty sure they dissapear if you log, but they stay after you die. I'm also pretty sure that they dissapear if you change loadout.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deployables disappear if you log out but not if you die or change loadout. You can deploy as much as your current character's maximum capacity (i.e. the class actually deploying at the moment) before additional deployables of that type begin to disappear. You can absolutely switch between different loadouts and stick down other types of deployables.

AT mines are in very effective and it's strange how people don't use them more often. If you place them around a place you know there'll be fighting and people will be moving through there's a high probability that you'll eventually get a kill. You can set them and forget about the things until half an hour later you get a surprise multi-kill as an enemy sunderer runs over the thing. You can also combo AT mines with AP mines to get even deadlier anti-personnel traps (increases the damage) or with C4 to overcome mineguard.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

They do use them often. I once played 2 hours and died about 4 in a sundie to AT mines. I wasn't driving. A fifth time I killed an engie with the sundie turret and saw the mines and shot them. Killing me and glowcat.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

One more thing, are there any long-distance weapons for the engie?

The AC-X11 can be certed to be pretty decent for longer range. High velocity ammo, compensator, 4x scope and advanced forward grip. You can also use the fire mode select to put it on single shot rather than full auto for increased accuracy.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

rastrum

• Bay Watcher
  • The Computer Is Your Friend
    • View Profile

If it's not too much trouble, could I get an invite to the outfit?  RasterDF on Mattherson.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 826