Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089701 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

Is there nothing to the game outside of the direct combat zones? only reason to spawn is to do battle?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

It's a shooter.  You can drive/fly around empty continents, but eventually someone will take a potshot at you.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Though hopefully at some point we'll have a more substantial metagame. But yes, it's an MMOFPS. You could, of course, just play as a Lib/Gal pilot or Sundie driver, but those aren't the most rewarding roles at the moment (to say the least).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

I need help,this game is like crack, the better i get the more I want to play. I just put the forward grip on my Sweeper shotgun with slug ammo, I am a jetpacking sniper beats with this thing.
I got nothing

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5494 on: January 22, 2013, 03:09:26 am »

Due to some random fluke in reality I thought it would be a good idea to halt work so and go back here to change the threads title to better reflect the current situation.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Is there nothing to the game outside of the direct combat zones? only reason to spawn is to do battle?
Fun tips:
1. you are rarely noticed in an ESF when flying over combat zones at the max height of 1000m.
2. large bases deep in enemy territory do not have any enemies in them
3. large bases have many phalanx anti-air and anti-vehicle guns
4. phalanx guns give about the same xp as enemy kills do

Or in other words, you can hop over the front line, deep into enemy territory, and there will be no enemies there. You can then go to town on their phalanx turrets for a little cert grinding. :P

I haven't tested it, but I think infiltrators should still be able to convert the infantry resupply points; which means you could go in with an inf in an esf, destroy about 6 turrets in that, get out, convert a resupply point, switch to heavy, and go to town on the rest with rockets. Certainly not the fastest way of getting certs, but it's also not exactly hard to do.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: January 22, 2013, 05:15:11 am »

Egh I think I'm giving up on flying, it's just no fun anymore. Air to air missles are everywhere, I think I'll just refuse to fly until they change or remove those noskill missles. Really kills any fun left in flying, better stick to infantry.
It's like I said earlier some point, they should change air to air missles to be a weapon against liberators and would only be effective against hovering or real slow esf. Right now using air to air missles is just ten times as effective and a hundred times easier then using the nose gun. Missles should be a fucken secondary weapon, not some easymode weapon that destroys any hope of dogfights outsidea 1v1 situation.  >:(
/end rant

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: January 22, 2013, 09:02:53 am »

But thats what rockets are for. They are that way in real life too, but real life planes have certed into countermeasures, ie. flares, chaff, and the like.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5498 on: January 22, 2013, 09:53:07 am »

I wouldn't mind a AA rocket nerf if they buffed small arms fire against aircraft, because if what you're saying would really happen then ESFs would be unkillable. As it is, they're already pretty freaking hard to kill.

And don't get me started on Libs.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: January 22, 2013, 10:51:01 am »

I wouldn't mind a AA rocket nerf if they buffed small arms fire against aircraft, because if what you're saying would really happen then ESFs would be unkillable. As it is, they're already pretty freaking hard to kill.

Have you not been paying attention to the notes for the upcoming update? ESF work in any major battle has already been reduced to coming in low and fast, dumping ammo, and running away, given the sheer volume of G2A fire, and at the end of January AA is getting buffed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »

I'm speaking of air to air missles, these are the lock on missles outfitted on an ESF. Lock on missles on infantry isn't overpowered and is outright to weak, given how you can just fly away outside of locking distance.

Why lock on missles on aircraft are overpowered is locking on to someone is trivial, you can't just flare and make a get away like with infantry. The only thing you can do is turn around and fight wich works fine in 1v1, but spells your doom in large engagements. What's worse is there really is no way to see where the enemy is locking you from, add in vehicle stealth and finding the source of the missles is like finding a needle in a haystack, given how long range you can use those things.
There really is no way to combat it in a real large scale air battle, wich lends itself to air zergs, wich is all around bad for infantry to.

All in all air to air esf rarely even use their nose gun when outfitted with missles, wich is moronic. The ground to air strength is not even in the question, though personalyl I'd say it's in a good spot now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:40 pm »

Have you not been paying attention to the notes for the upcoming update? ESF work in any major battle has already been reduced to coming in low and fast, dumping ammo, and running away, given the sheer volume of G2A fire, and at the end of January AA is getting buffed.
Yeah, but fuck liberators at the sky limit with vehicle stealth so you can't reach them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: January 22, 2013, 12:57:40 pm »

I'm speaking of air to air missles, these are the lock on missles outfitted on an ESF. Lock on missles on infantry isn't overpowered and is outright to weak, given how you can just fly away outside of locking distance.

Why lock on missles on aircraft are overpowered is locking on to someone is trivial, you can't just flare and make a get away like with infantry. The only thing you can do is turn around and fight wich works fine in 1v1, but spells your doom in large engagements. What's worse is there really is no way to see where the enemy is locking you from, add in vehicle stealth and finding the source of the missles is like finding a needle in a haystack, given how long range you can use those things.
There really is no way to combat it in a real large scale air battle, wich lends itself to air zergs, wich is all around bad for infantry to.

All in all air to air esf rarely even use their nose gun when outfitted with missles, wich is moronic. The ground to air strength is not even in the question, though personalyl I'd say it's in a good spot now.

I really have to disagree on a lot of these points.

1) Lock-on range for A2A missiles is pathetic. I believe their lock-on range starts at ~250m, which is half the range of a G2A missile. Moreover, infantry with G2A launchers are a small target that can be mostly obscured by surrounding buildings; ESFs are large, highly-visible targets with almost no ability to take cover during combat. If you can't find the source of an A2A missile, that almost certainly means it's right behind you, on your tail, which is exactly where a pursuer in a dogfight should be. And vehicle stealth doesn't make a large impact in your ability to visually identify the enemy.  :)

2) Decent dogfighting pilots make heavy use of nose guns, for one trivial reason: A2A missiles take approximately three years(-ish) to reload when in combat. Even the 1000 cert upgrade reduces reload time by a pathetic 15%. You can fire off 1-2 full bursts from the Vortex Rotary (or your nation's equivalent) in the time it takes an A2A missile to reload, depending on whether you've upgraded the gun's magazine size.

3) Flares. Just flares. Wait until the missile's been launched, then enjoy your 5 seconds of complete immunity to A2A missiles before shooting down the poor fool with your main gun.

My personal experience has been that dogfighting usually comes down to 1v1 encounters, where the pursuer fires off their A2A missile and then tries to line up as many main gun shots as possible, while the target tries to juke and outmaneuver the pursuer in the hopes of changing the roles. Large air zergs degrade a bit, but even then the use of flares prevent the battle from relying entirely on A2A missiles.

Finally, remember that A2A pilots are pretty useless when it comes to attacking ground targets. I've seen more than one anti-air ESF group sit uselessly over the battlefield as a major installation was stolen from them, unable to do anything more than attempt a few futile strafing runs against enemy tanks. If worst comes to worst, any A2A ESF group can be handled by spawning as a G2A Heavy, or a Burster MAX, or even a Skyguard Lightning, and then shooting at them until they're forced to retreat.  ;)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: January 22, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »

Edit: Stupid 504 timeout giving me a double-post.  ::) Same content as above.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:52:22 pm by Thexor »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:50 pm »

Lock-on range for A2A missiles is pathetic. I believe their lock-on range starts at ~250m, which is half the range of a G2A missile
I can't find the exact number to verify your claim, I'll test it out in game to be sure. From personal experience pathetic is the least I would call it.

If you can't find the source of an A2A missile, that almost certainly means it's right behind you, on your tail, which is exactly where a pursuer in a dogfight should be. And vehicle stealth doesn't make a large impact in your ability to visually identify the enemy.
This is not a matter of simply turning around. Your opponent could indeed be behind you, or he could be above or below or pretty much anywhere not in your field of vision. If you have absolutely no information to go on you can but search randomly around and hope you  get to see whomever is firing them before you're down, wich will be pretty damn fast with missles coming your way.

Decent dogfighting pilots make heavy use of nose guns, for one trivial reason: A2A missiles take approximately three years(-ish) to reload when in combat. Even the 1000 cert upgrade reduces reload time by a pathetic 15%. You can fire off 1-2 full bursts from the Vortex Rotary (or your nation's equivalent) in the time it takes an A2A missile to reload, depending on whether you've upgraded the gun's magazine size.
Use it to take down about 5% or so of the enemy esf, or whatever is left after two missles. Hardly what I would call heavy.

Flares. Just flares. Wait until the missile's been launched, then enjoy your 5 seconds of complete immunity to A2A missiles before shooting down the poor fool with your main gun.
If the enemy is on your tail or you don't know from what direction he's firing, five seconds is nothing. It serves its purpose against  ground to air missles, but in a dogfight you don't just want to buy time, you want to outmanouvre your opponent. This can take far more time unless your assailant is a complete incompetent.

Finally, remember that A2A pilots are pretty useless when it comes to attacking ground targets. I've seen more than one anti-air ESF group sit uselessly over the battlefield as a major installation was stolen from them, unable to do anything more than attempt a few futile strafing runs against enemy tanks. If worst comes to worst, any A2A ESF group can be handled by spawning as a G2A Heavy, or a Burster MAX, or even a Skyguard Lightning, and then shooting at them until they're forced to retreat.  ;)
Then those pilots were foolish to idle around once they had completed their job. Once the air is clear the rest should have an easy time winning the fight, given how you have free reign with liberators and don't have to worry about enemy podders or libs. There's a whole map out there with enemy air units and you can get anywhere in moments in an ESF.
Using ground based AA works just as well against ESF without a2a missles.  This is about ESF being able to fight one another with nose guns.

Now don't get me wrong, yes I do use pods wich is why I complain. Yes I think pods are still to strong and need to be nerfed just the same (halving the magazine size seems fair to me). I'm just commenting on the sorry state air is in.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 826