Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089529 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5685 on: January 31, 2013, 12:01:14 am »

You know, over the years I've become quite good at dulling negative emotions that arise in response to in-game events. Today I found out that there was still something capable of making me rage-quit. Namely, a friendly lib deciding that it was a good idea to drop down on at an ESF that I and two other Scythes were chasing very closely at full afterburner, dodge around it, smash into one of the others and myself, then sideswipe the third and continue on his way.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5686 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:53 am »

I hate libs in general, though that's as a pure infantry guy. :P

Oh, and the forums mostly delete your complaints if they're overly inflammatory or name specific people. I made a test post complaining about the hacker to see if they would delete it, but they didn't, probably because I didn't name him. So they're not completely censoring the forums, but give them an excuse and they'll jump on it.

I also failed to notice an entire topic about Aimbots that's managed to get to 6 pages long without getting shut down. They had some good ideas on there, such as requiring a credit card (No payment) or a code sent via text message, but a lot of people seem to think that'll hurt PS2's ability to reach new casual players. Honestly, having to deal with hackers that just come back every day is enough to make even dedicated players quit, so whatever cost to the player base it would be, I think it'd be worth it. I just can't think of any other method to help folks who don't have cell phones or credit cards.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: January 31, 2013, 03:16:30 am »

If I had to enter any detail like that, I'd never play PS2. Especially not credit card details, fuck no.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:47 am »

If I had to enter any detail like that, I'd never play PS2. Especially not credit card details, fuck no.

Well, with SOE's track record that's probably the smart approach.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: January 31, 2013, 04:53:58 am »

Sticky nades do not appear to be working. They bounce off just like regular nades.
Not sure why, might be because of the broken physics they've neglected to fix after they broke it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: January 31, 2013, 03:22:12 pm »

A2A missiles. Sithis, I wish they'd rebalance them. I finally decided to start getting some air-time, spent some well-earned certs on stealth and flares and took to the skies.

Against any ESFs lacking A2A missiles, I do very well. I'm capable of getting killstreaks and the like by spotting from the sky ceiling and dive in on opponents with my nosegun. Flak I'm fully capable of avoiding as I don't do A2G. G2A missiles are somewhat easy to avoid as the enemy is essentially stationary compared to my ESF by using objects and the occasional flares. But those darn A2A missiles... There's just no way to avoid them. I can duck and weave between mountains, hills and trees but they keep on coming. Any air maneuver I pull off is moot since the missiles have an ungodly turn rate and tracking system. Even trying to flare my way out of it is just delaying the inevitable as the ESF is most likely already on my tail ready to lock and fire the next missile.

I wish they'd tune the A2A missiles to be mainly used for heavy aircraft a la Liberator and Galaxy by tuning turn rate and tracking to match the flight characteristics of said aircraft, with potential damage change. Sure, they'd still be able to hit other ESFs if they're hovering or moving in a relatively straight line but if the movement isn't smooth in the "eyesight" of the missile then the lock should break.

Also, time-to-impact indicators and missile direction would be nice HUD info to have.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »

Re: Directional and distance indicators for enemy missiles would be a godsend. Though I usually don't have trouble avoiding them as long as I'm not already in a bad situation (in other words, if I'm around the border and it's just one or two ESFs targetting me). Normal procedure is to drop to the deck, light the afterburners, put an obstacle behind me, and keep flying low-altitude while heading deeper into friendly territory. If the telltale is still there after I've done a bit of evasion around cliffs, buildings, and such, I'll pop flares. The biggest mistake you can make is to pop flares the moment they start trying to lock on; wait until the enemy fighter has launched, so that even if they keep up with you for a few seconds they're reloading instead of waiting for the flares to wear off.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: January 31, 2013, 04:11:05 pm »

I keep getting 'planetside2.exe has stopped working' CtDs, anyone know what the problem might be? I've tried reinstalling, am using 64-bit windows, have 8GB RAM. I'm a bit stumped now...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: January 31, 2013, 04:31:21 pm »

-snip-
I too always wait until the missile is launched (or assumed to have been considering the "Lock" doesn't say if it has been or not) before shooting flares. Still, it's only delaying the inevitable unless a wingman or AA get the ESF off my tail.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: January 31, 2013, 04:47:45 pm »

Twiggie I think it's just the game being a shitty piece of code. Got into it moments ago, everything was peachy until I deployed with the pod. Then the terrain was all blue and flashing constantly which got me killed soon enough. Here's to hoping that it doesn't happen again now.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »

So apparently Prowler HEAT rounds are getting a 25% damage increase? That's the biggest change in the tank balance as I see it anyway.
25% increase here, 20% there, 15% nerf there...what a balancing joke. How can any sane developer think to achieve decent balance while constantly making sweeping changes like these. They'll never achieve anything but overbuffing and overnerfing this way.  ::)

Oh well, at least magrider gets some long overdue nerfs.  Reduced hover length (I assume this is the height the tank hovers above the ground) on performance certs, decrease in HRB velocity. HRB is the sarong right?
Lastly vanguard gets a bit more armor, 5% on side and front. Not sure if that's going to make a big difference, but it's something at least.

Meh, not sure I see any future in this games balance the way changes are all over the place. Since my PS2 experience has mostly been reduced to listening to a beeping lockon sound and lockon warning most of the time I'm not sure if I'm interested in seeing where things go.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:59 pm »

so, why is it that I have the most fun flying plains when I do suicidal runs with them?  Also, I have managed to fly one across the ground, through a large group of enemy infantry, didn't change the battle much though

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:50 pm »

so, why is it that I have the most fun flying plains when I do suicidal runs with them?

I don't understand the question.

I love it whenever I can sneak around and ram an AA MAX off their airpad.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: February 02, 2013, 11:26:25 am »

I guess this update thang is still applying. Can't get in to the game. They said 4 hours of downtime from 12 GMT. Am I right, or is it just me?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40:49 pm »

I fired up the client and started DLing a 4.4 gig patch.  I'll tell you later.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 826