Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084983 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5820 on: February 07, 2013, 11:18:58 am »

Oh right. Yeah, I see what you mean. Two issues that are sort of unavoidable.
First off, any platoon that isn't entire filled by prepared and organized outfit members, you're bound to get a few stragglers. I tend to get a bit of trouble from one or two slots when leading a platoon's squad. Kicking doesn't help unfortunately, as you tend to wind up with more of the same.

And on the other hand, Esamir never has anything but a few of the guys who are dominating the continent. Usually VS. There's nothing to do but to cap points and clean up stragglers.

Oh, and that Galaxy pilot sounds far far too worried about losing that thing though. Speed is really a vital aspect when moving around in this game, considering even Galaxies are worth virtually nothing.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: February 07, 2013, 11:28:47 am »

Oh, and that Galaxy pilot sounds far far too worried about losing that thing though. Speed is really a vital aspect when moving around in this game, considering even Galaxies are worth virtually nothing.
This. Galaxies suck dick. The only way they could be good is if they could carry lightnings/MBTs and get most certs sundies can (with the exception of AMS, obviously.). So you could just have a galaxy hovering over a tank column repairing or resupplying them or someshit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: February 07, 2013, 11:39:13 am »

This. Galaxies suck dick. The only way they could be good is if they could carry lightnings/MBTs and get most certs sundies can (with the exception of AMS, obviously.). So you could just have a galaxy hovering over a tank column repairing or resupplying them or someshit.

Ya, when they took AMS from Galaxies, they were talking about revising its role, but they never really got back to it... I think the idea of using it as a mobile squad only spawn point was a great idea, so it could circle above and let the squad redeploy easily, or such and such.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: February 07, 2013, 11:48:44 am »

A vehicle carrying addon was mentioned on the roadmap, not sure when it's due but they're considering it. They should add some sort of drop pod upgrade or something, to allow high altitude drops and more flexibility, also coolness would go up a lot :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: February 07, 2013, 11:51:28 am »

So you could just have a galaxy hovering over a tank column repairing or resupplying them or someshit.
That sounds interesting... Though, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a cut-down AMS for the Galaxy. Obviously nothing like a Sunderer, but it could be interesting to have some more respawn options.

Ya, when they took AMS from Galaxies, they were talking about revising its role, but they never really got back to it... I think the idea of using it as a mobile squad only spawn point was a great idea, so it could circle above and let the squad redeploy easily, or such and such.
Well, that sounds perfect. Especially as it requires one squad member to remain in the vehicle to keep it airborne and safe.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:48 am »

I'm still hoping for a vehicle transport cert for the galaxies... Greatest hope would be choice of 4 flashes/2 lightnings/1 MBT and if I'm just wishing, a winch and hook system to pick up sunderers and carry them along under the Galaxy.

Another option would be to allow air drops of things like a stationary AMS or ammo supply point. Maybe even the option to load it up as a true heavy bomber(rather than the heavy gunship role the Liberator fills). And let it make passes over an area to carpet bomb it.

I do however freely admit to not entirely thinking out the balancing issues with any of these idea(although I do believe we need a vehicle/air transport desperately ala the old Lodestar) I'm just thinking what would be awesome and cool and fun from at least one point of view.

So you could just have a galaxy hovering over a tank column repairing or resupplying them or someshit.
That sounds interesting... Though, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a cut-down AMS for the Galaxy. Obviously nothing like a Sunderer, but it could be interesting to have some more respawn options.

Well, that sounds perfect. Especially as it requires one squad member to remain in the vehicle to keep it airborne and safe.

Both sound good. I personally think they should have only taken one feature off the galaxy. I saw no problem with the deployable shields if there were no AMS. Having a mobile firebase and cover shields for deploying troops could be interesting tactics wise, but with the AMS as well, it was just too powerful. Just the same, the AMS was too powerful when you had an extra strong shield that could be deployed around the engies that were repairing/respawning/repairing/etc.

I personally think the whole idea of allowing people to just pop into an already flying galaxy and redeploy from there is a bit gamey and in some cases worse than the original AMS they had, but it's still not a bad idea to consider and I would hesitate to judge it before I saw it in action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:08 pm »

Galaxies transporting sundies? You're really suggesting that? You could just as well give sundies their AMS back. Two things will happen:
1. Random sundies will be smashed into cliffs.
2. Sundies on biodomes. Sundies EVERYWHERE.

Also, 2 lightnings may be a bit OP, and it would just be 4 flashes/1 lightning/1 MBT. 4 flashes is definitely awesome tough. Especially if the pilot could switch to one of those flashes and then drive out. Or if there would be a vehicle parachute cert and you could just fly over a base and drop flashes with turrets to wreak havoc.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: February 07, 2013, 12:04:44 pm »

I'd love to see Galaxies carrying Sundies. Simply because a Sunderer wrecking ball would be utterly hilarious.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:25 pm »

I'd love to see Galaxies carrying Sundies. Simply because a Sunderer wrecking ball would be utterly hilarious.
Hmm, choices, choices.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:56 pm »

The original Galaxy could haul anything up to a Lightning (IIRC) so there's no real reason to not let it do the same.

Do note that vehicle transport probably isn't as strong as it was in PS1, due to smaller maps and no warpgate transits.

the old Lodestar

Pro tip with those:  Fully load up a Sunderer, pop it in a Lodestar, then drop the Sunderer on top of a tower.  Everyone out of the sundy, easily cap the tower.

Speaking of vehicle parachutes, I must correct myself- I saw a Flash go off the Impact Site bridge and survive the landing.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: February 07, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »

Heck you don't even need chutes. Load the Flashes up with C4 and AP mines then send out troops on them like kamikaze to clear the area before you land :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »

Galaxies transporting sundies? You're really suggesting that? You could just as well give sundies their AMS back. Two things will happen:
1. Random sundies will be smashed into cliffs.
2. Sundies on biodomes. Sundies EVERYWHERE.

Also, 2 lightnings may be a bit OP, and it would just be 4 flashes/1 lightning/1 MBT. 4 flashes is definitely awesome tough. Especially if the pilot could switch to one of those flashes and then drive out. Or if there would be a vehicle parachute cert and you could just fly over a base and drop flashes with turrets to wreak havoc.

Problem with that is that a Sundie stuck somewhere like that is laughably vulnerable to liberator/rocket/hell just about anything attack and if it were OUTSIDE of the galaxy and most likely affecting its maneuverability, you have a nice tasty target for everyone to be firing at. Besides, there's still the one AMS in any give area rule. (unless they let people cert past that, as has been suggested, which I think is a stupid idea.)

I also don't think the two lightnings are OP, as said, maps are smaller and lightnings are available ALMOST everywhere to everyone but it'll probably need to be playtested... any change like that has all kinds of unforeseen consequences.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: February 07, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »

One AMS in any given area rule? I never heard about that.
And honestly, the thing about being vulnerable to rocket/liberator/hell was true for galaxies too, I assume. (As I actually joined right after they removed AMS from galaxies)
The idea of tucking around Sundies and them impairing your movement does sound very nice tough.

And on the topic of that: Mayby one lightning inside and one lightning with the hook?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: February 07, 2013, 12:36:25 pm »

You've obviously never felt the pain of being unable to deploy your Sundie in a perfect spot because some other person set theirs up in the middle of the road twenty meters away. There's now a radius of something-or-other (roughly the width of the small minimap) around a deployed AMS that prevents others from being deployed within it. It's been around for a while, and as much frustration as it causes, it's still better than having a dozen AMS sundies spawning a zerg wherever they go.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: February 07, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »

And honestly, the thing about being vulnerable to rocket/liberator/hell was true for galaxies too, I assume. (As I actually joined right after they removed AMS from galaxies)
The idea of tucking around Sundies and them impairing your movement does sound very nice tough.

And on the topic of that: Mayby one lightning inside and one lightning with the hook?

Yeah, ninja'd but you can't set you ams up within a certain range of another already active ams.

Also galaxies before the ams removal were nigh invincible. I saw one stick itself in a tech plant superstructure and have multiple tanks and aircraft and soldiers all firing at it, but because of the respawn, the shields and the fact that engies at that point didn't have a cool down on their repair gun, nobody could kill the things. They'd just get repaired faster than they could be damaged and anyone spawning there had great cover.

EDITED: I sort of take that back. After about 20 minutes of attacking it, somehow it finally went down... only to be replaced less than 5 minutes later by another one in the EXACT SAME SPOT.

EDITEDITed: I used to love being a galaxy driver back then, tbh. One of the best strategies if you were being attacked was to hit the ground fast, deploy and just man the turrets until the enemy went away or died. If you landed correctly there were next to no blind angles they could hit you at and generally even with rockets, I could take down a fighter with the upgraded top turret before they could do serious damage to me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:47:17 pm by sluissa »
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 826