Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084928 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6990 on: April 18, 2013, 12:23:54 pm »

No, your wrong. Join Vanu and fight for purple spandex.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: April 18, 2013, 12:24:18 pm »

I created a TR for the server because it was the middle of the 3 xD I'll be deleting my characters off the US server soon though because the population on there is like, 30% terran, 10% Vanu and 60% are conglomerate. Screw that, felt way too onesided xD and made my third character on EU. That's where I really enjoyed the game. So I'll probably end up moving all characters there. ( I only joined the US server because that's where friends are, but it's not great D: )

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: April 18, 2013, 12:28:33 pm »

Join Miller if you want a VS char. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: April 18, 2013, 12:33:29 pm »

My new, more complete strategy for rigging a biolab ahead of a zerg.

Switch to engineer with tank mines. Go down to the vehicle spawn and pull a flash with 100m radar.

Rush to the space under each of the jump pads up to the launch pads and plant a single AT where Sunderers usually park.

Now go back to the vehicle spawn room and switch out for any loadout with 2x C4 (I use my HA). Place one stick of C4 on top of each of your AT mines. Note that a level 3 (IIRC) utility pouch (200/400/500) with level 2 each C4 (200/500) and AT mines (100/200) will let you plant 4 of these AT+C4 mines, each able to destroy any vehicle without mineguard. Alternatively use it with AP mines to wipe out MAXes and flack armour infantry.

Now go back and leave your flash directly under the centre of the biolab. This will give you vision of anyone inside. It will need touching once every five minutes to keep from despawning, and will likely be blown up if they take down the interior generator, but it's worth it.

Switch out for and place all the AP mines you have around the shield generator, then switch to your favourite combat class and try to defend the outposts. If the fight comes indoors try to keep replacing mines as and when makes sense.

The name of the game is delaying them till your side can throw people at the problem. The mines plus radar make for excellent force multipliers, letting a small squad put up a good fight even when outnumbered, while the AT mines should help prevent them getting fast, close-in spawns. This is also a very good way to break zergs, as it denies them their vehicle advantage. I love it when there are a dozen tanks swarming around the outside of the biolab unable to do a damned thing about their infantry being locked inside a teleporter room.

And the great thing is you get bonus infantry resources from gaining experience in biolabs, so the heavy resource investment usually pays off by dragging the fight out, rather than just scrambling to grab some kills before you get overrun and camped.

EDIT: Undocumented changes post. So far one important point;
Healing an ally damaged by friendly fire will no longer grant XP

I just wanted to clarify on this. It was a pretty nasty bug before. It's a bit convoluted so hopefully I can explain it. If you were playing as a medic, got team killed, then revived, it would save the teamkiller as your last killer. Now when you tried reviving people, it looked at your last killer, not your patient's last killer. Thinking it was a teamkill, the xp system wouldn't give you revive xp. This caused some medics to think they were locked-out. This should fix all that.

Also, if a guy is killed 100% team damage, reviving and healing them up to full won't grant any xp. Before you wouldn't get revive xp, but you would get heal xp healing him back up to full. That's more what the patch note was about. They left out what I thought was the more important part of the same bug fix.
Apparently the mini-chaingun changes (or at least the wind-up time change) didn't make it into the game despite being in the notes.

There are also some nasty bugs being reported, with some bases being uncappable and at least one spawn dumping you into an infinite suicide/friendly fire pit of hell.

Also reports of a huge increase in population XP bonuses, with people having 50+% bonuses when their faction has low population.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:14:28 pm by palsch »

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: April 18, 2013, 02:54:47 pm »

I think this is the second time I've seen them spell "reticule" instead of "reticle" in the patch notes. I can forgive stuff like forgetting "w" from the word "now" because it's obvious by context a different word was meant. But when you're accidentally teaching people the wrong spelling of an uncomminish(outside FPSs) word that is HUGE in your product, come onnnnnnnnnn

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: April 18, 2013, 03:13:30 pm »

Bugs in a PS2 game update?  Surely you jest.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: April 18, 2013, 03:20:50 pm »

I think this is the second time I've seen them spell "reticule" instead of "reticle" in the patch notes. I can forgive stuff like forgetting "w" from the word "now" because it's obvious by context a different word was meant. But when you're accidentally teaching people the wrong spelling of an uncomminish(outside FPSs) word that is HUGE in your product, come onnnnnnnnnn

Reticule is listed as a variant. They seem roughly equally used, so unless there is a hell of a lot more writing about draw string purses than I'm aware of...

Bugs in a PS2 game update?  Surely you jest.

I know, right? Especially now there is a public test server which means no bug will ever make it to production ever again.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6997 on: April 18, 2013, 03:24:30 pm »

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: April 18, 2013, 03:33:23 pm »

I've got another video up, this time of me dogfighting in the reaver.

God bless the air hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyOVogVa4nU&feature=youtu.be

Also another good song I found on overclocked remix, check them out sometime. :D

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: April 18, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »

That's not a reticule* bug- that's a hidden base in Indar.  Hadn't you seen it yet?

*Firefox only recognizes this spelling.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:21 pm »

Reticle is american english.

Reticule is British english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Now for a legitimate question, when I'm flying a mosquito the thing swings around at impossibly high speeds that makes me overshoot a target when I bank, if I try and yaw instead it's at a ridiculously slow speed that can't keep up.

Am I missing something when I'm piloting these? I've only managed 2 lucky fighter kills because I've accidentally slotted in behind a Scythe. Otherwise I'm either overshooting things by a wide margin or I can't turn fast enough to keep up.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: April 18, 2013, 04:53:42 pm »

Reticle is american english.

Reticule is British english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

[superpedant]See, I though that. But if you check that google ngram search I linked, there are no notable differences in British English and American English usage of the spellings. I think they are straight variants.[/superpedant]

Now for a legitimate question, when I'm flying a mosquito the thing swings around at impossibly high speeds that makes me overshoot a target when I bank, if I try and yaw instead it's at a ridiculously slow speed that can't keep up.

Am I missing something when I'm piloting these? I've only managed 2 lucky fighter kills because I've accidentally slotted in behind a Scythe. Otherwise I'm either overshooting things by a wide margin or I can't turn fast enough to keep up.

I think you just have to tweak the mouse settings, practice a lot or give up and just play ground all day.

I did the first and third of these. I can now just about control the Reaver well enough that I can tell it's me sucking and not the controls.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:00 pm »

I've got no issue flying the Liberator and Galaxy, everything works perfect with them and I havent tried the other faction's fighters so I'll have to jump into it in a little while and play with the settings ( In-flight, I have a nasty habit of opening the menu while hurtling several hundred Km/h at a waypoint to change something >: open sky I won't crash D: )

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: April 18, 2013, 06:19:12 pm »

Wow, lots of VS updates, with a lot of weapons getting more accurate, faster projectile speeds and all of them getting less damage drop-off.

But the big one is the Comet for AT MAXs. It now has 2 shots per magazine. Damage has dropped from 550 to 350, but that raises per mag damage to 700 (1400 with two of them). It takes 3 shots to kill an un-flak-certed infantry soldier (4 with certs? No HA flak/shield stack now), so with 2 Comets you might be able to burst down whoever you want. Yep, it's still a slow, unwieldy weapon, but this might be as close to a shotgun MAX that the VS will ever get. Except it's explodey and disco-ball'y at the same time. Like all VS things should be. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:00:41 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: April 18, 2013, 07:15:02 pm »

Wow, lots of VS updates, with a lot of weapons getting more accurate, faster projectile speeds and all of them got less drop-off.

But the big one is the Comet for AT MAXs. It now has 2 shots per magazine. It takes 3 shots to kill an infantry soldier, so with 2 Comets you might be able to burst down whoever you want. Yep, it's still a slow, unwieldy weapon, but this might be as close to a shotgun MAX that the VS will ever get. Except it's explodey and disco-ball'y at the same time. Like all VS things should be.
The actual changes they made to the comet are a very marginal overall increase in damage. To be perfectly honest the only significant changes to how they work is that you can now miss one or two shots but still keep up on some DPS, making it an overall easier to use weapon. Sadly this doesn't make a big difference when fighting tanks, which is what it's really designed for. The extra projectile speed is definitely a huge plus though, and the extra shots will definitely make it a slightly more viable weapon against infantry, where before it was quite literally a gamble. Either you would one-shot your target or be slightly off and do less than half damage to their shields while they happily unload three magazines of bullets into your face.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 826