Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089303 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7275 on: May 13, 2013, 04:52:11 pm »

When I do play infiltrator, I've noticed the cloak is for long distance. You can't spot a cloaked infiltrator at long distance. It's impossible. I've tried. I look where an infiltrator cloaked, and it's impossible to see them. This complements their long range support role well.

For close range, the cloak is still useful, but not -that- useful. You will be detected if one of two things occurs: You're moving, or you've been spotted recently before. The human eye is quick to detect motion, and will see the blur (you) quite easily at close range. The blur is also pretty easy to spot when you're looking for it. This is why you should not sit in a corner and hide when being chased. You'll be found. Just keep running, try to get some distance, and then cloak and go in a random direction.

If you do decide to do an SMG build, try to think like an LA. Be sneaky, come in at unorthodox angles, flank. Only shoot if you can kill them, and get out if things get hot. Use the cloak to complement your movements, not be your crutch.

Also, Infiltrators are pretty hard to spot when you're in a vehicle, so it's great for sneaking out of camped spawns (after you've sniped all the idiots waiting outside the window, of course).
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: May 13, 2013, 05:12:48 pm »

Not had a chance to play much recently and probably won't till the weekend, but wanted to mention some interesting sales.

Today the right arm Hacksaw/Onslaught/Nebula anti-infantry weapons are on sale for half price. Note that the default AI weapon is on the left arm. For any NC that doesn't own a second AI gun this is a no-brainer, even after the nerf.

There is also the MAXed Out bundle coming back on sale soon. That contains a long range AI gun (Mattock/Mercy/Blueshift) and the second Burster arm. Not sure what the discount will be or which arm the AI gun is for yet. I'd kinda love it if it were left. Mattock/Hacksaw is a nice combo with extended mags. The Mattock has a little more range and you can (or have to) to pick your shots, while the Hacksaw is for spraying anything nearby.

On infiltrator cloak, remember it stops the tracking effect from being spotted and hides you from proximity radars. When I'm in a half decent group I tend to depend on those two things combined with map awareness to track enemies during a push or base secure. A good infiltrator can be a real pain to hunt down when they break those tools.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: May 13, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »

I think I've a newfound love for the skywhale. Sure it's slow and clumsy and very few players will actually hop in for transport, seeing as the alternatives are far better and AA is so problematic.

But still, there's something about flying something with such inertia I love it. Requires a good feeling for the controls and planned movement, so beautiful when it all comes together. And sky drop assault, an awesome tactic yet executed so rarely.

But most of all the ramming. Oh ramming stuff with the skywhale is just amazing. ESF are likes flies to be swat, not once been shot down and always managed to manouver in a way to slam those pests with the wing or tail, man that's satisfying. Not tried against a lib yet, might be a tad riskier.
Just earlier I tried ramming a lightning tank in a skywhale. Ramming a tank...with a plane. I crushed the tank and lived to tell the tale, if just barely. I wonder what else the power of sheer mass can destroy, MBT maybe?  :D

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: May 13, 2013, 05:41:13 pm »

Ramming a tank...with a plane. I crushed the tank and lived to tell the tale, if just barely.

I once rammed a Reaver out of the sky with a Magrider, using the Magburner and a small ramp.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:29 pm »

I discovered today that you can (i think) kill people at point blank range in a sundy. normally theres a dead zone to the left and right of the sundy where you cant aim, but since the third person view is implemented so badly, it seems like you can shoot in the dead zone if you continue dragging the mouse down - though it snaps back, it does let you depress that far, whereas in first person that much depression is impossible.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: May 13, 2013, 08:41:53 pm »

This vid shows it well. The cloak is a tool helping you stay hidden, but won't do the job for you.

Super useful.  Thanks!

Today the right arm Hacksaw/Onslaught/Nebula anti-infantry weapons are on sale for half price.

O RLY
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: May 14, 2013, 02:32:44 am »

Spent some certs on the infiltrator (such as getting a decent bolt-action rifle), but I still suck at it. LA-rush is more my style. Think I need a shotgun though, but those are expensive.

On Cobalt, NC and TR teamed up against the VS on Indar, but even their combined forces could not take our last 3 territories. It was intense, though. Hours of fighting over just a few meters of land. Every hill conquered was an achievement. It was glorious slaughter.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: May 14, 2013, 09:45:37 am »

If you play LA, then C4 is a must have.  As for shotguns, it's all personal preference.  I play LA sparingly, but I do like getting up on a small ledge and killing people with my Jaguar carbine.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:57 am »

That's what I do most of the time, but up close a carbine is really lacking firepower. The underbarrel grenade launcher is also somewhat underwhelming in usefulness. The C4 is more useful, so I think I'll spend my certs on a second brick. Mostly I just play engineer, and putting a relatively decent sunderer in great places.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: May 14, 2013, 10:01:47 am »

As far as I am concerned, C4 is a must on every infantry class. The amount of maxes I've blown up without breaking a sweat!
Especially with a shotty you'll be close quarter near and in buildings, c4 is an excelent tool in those situations. The times I've singlehandedly ended a stalemate when opposing forces are holding one another at a doorway. You'll scare them off enough with your shotty so they'll stay put, just have to toss a stick of c4 in the next room and boom, 10+ dead enemies. :)
As far as shotguns are concerned I'm not sure, the fast fire rate shotty used to be my go to auto shotty but I'm not so sure now, and pump action might be flat out better if they suit you. If you're NC and don't mind going HA I can but praise the jackhammer, that thing is amazing.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: May 14, 2013, 10:04:21 am »

Nah, C4 is nice, but tank mines is where it's at. Drop drop drop run, turn around and shoot them. The worst thing about C4 is that you can't hold your main gun and detonate at the same time.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: May 14, 2013, 10:20:46 am »

That or anti-personnel mines.  When defending a base it's great to drop some at the doors.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: May 14, 2013, 10:25:12 am »

Cloak to get beside a doorway, uncloak, throw it in, recloak, boom.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: May 14, 2013, 11:47:31 am »

So getting tired of getting into A2A battles with Mozzies and Scythes that seem to be able to move around SO FUCKING EASILY while looking at you the whole time. WTF are they doing and how can I DO IT!?!?!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7289 on: May 14, 2013, 06:40:33 pm »

Dogfighting airframe helps tremendously at pulling off that kind of manoeuvrability. Also from talking to some of the better performing fliers in my outfit, quite a few of them use a flight controller rather than mouse/keyboard when flying and this certainly seems to be effective. The "keep vertical thrust engaged all the time except when landing" advice that I was given does also seem to help a great deal.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 826