Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089328 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8145 on: July 20, 2013, 10:21:26 am »

Inb4 30 gals swarming above one crystal and all exploding in one big boom.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: July 20, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »

Now I want to see some Red Faction: Guerilla style building destruction.

Fly a loaded galaxy into a biolab dome support and watch the thing collapse.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: July 20, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »

I would love a Planetside2-scale game that is basically Red Faction Guerilla.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: July 20, 2013, 05:14:51 pm »

So basically what the CGI trailer for the game showed? ;)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: July 20, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »

I don't really care. It's just that people always talk about how it's a team-oriented game, but my team always seems in a drunken stupor, and I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same.

Like, they get so caught up in trying to be a good teamwork-y and organized squad that they sort of stop actually playing well. It just struck me as kinda funny, is all.

I don't see this specifically.  I see indecisive, stupid leaders committing to fights they can't win and being afraid to pull back and reassess the situation.  Further exacerbating this problem are soldiers who aren't good at FPS and can't follow directions.

Many strategic options are removed by the lattice system, imo.  In most places on Indar, you have to backtrack and cap through several bases to cut-off or flank things.  In the north, there are routes you have to fight through multiple amp stations to flank with.  Right now, the primary thing the lattice system does is make sure that there isn't an alternative to a meat grinder.

Hopefully with the introduction of ANT's, we'll see more strategic options, since you'll actually need to hold the things behind your front.  Right now, each faction has maybe 6 bases where their territory can even change and there's no reason to have troops anywhere else.  That needs to change.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: July 21, 2013, 02:09:46 am »

Supply vehicles? Great, a good reason to field armor! With the changes in esamir they're moving towards having bases completely cut off from vehicles, so I'm glad to see they're going to be adding some vehicle interaction still.
I just hope it'll be balanced to be useful. They've had the habit of offering players an abundance of resources so far, especially if you buy a resource boost, so I hope there will be more strategy involved when resources are a little more scarce.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:40 am »

Supply vehicles? Great, a good reason to field armor! With the changes in esamir they're moving towards having bases completely cut off from vehicles, so I'm glad to see they're going to be adding some vehicle interaction still.
I just hope it'll be balanced to be useful. They've had the habit of offering players an abundance of resources so far, especially if you buy a resource boost, so I hope there will be more strategy involved when resources are a little more scarce.

There's a problem. All cutting off the supply routes will do is making special equipement like mines/grenades more scarce and limiting the # of vehicles they players can pull.
That's all the base power levels do.
Turrets still work and people can still shoot you with their guns/rocket launchers.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:09 am »

Yeah, I really think the game would benefit from base-based resources like PS1. Bases needing to be resupplied to continuously get vehicles/special items out of them would be great.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: July 21, 2013, 08:41:10 am »

If its like PS1 then when bases run out of resources they'll loose power and flip neutral

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: July 21, 2013, 04:31:10 pm »

There's a problem. All cutting off the supply routes will do is making special equipement like mines/grenades more scarce and limiting the # of vehicles they players can pull.
That's all the base power levels do.
Turrets still work and people can still shoot you with their guns/rocket launchers.

Ah but you're forgetting about max suits, the largest factor in an all out infantry fight (and its 'counter' c4 to) costs lots of resources.
Unless you're NC in wich case your max sucks (if okish in biolabs and medium facilities), fielding more maxes then the enemy wins the facility for pure infantry vs infantry.
Don't underestimate the worth of nades either, especially concussion grenades, they're very good in large fights to flush enemies from cover.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:39:41 pm by Jelle »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: July 23, 2013, 04:08:16 pm »

IMO, the changes to resources could be a stealth buff to aircraft, since there are few penalties for spawning at the warpgate as a pilot and their statement about nanites given being a function of power level and total number of players in a region.  People at large battles will regen nanites more slowly than people at warpgate.  That seems like a pretty bad way of implementing things; rewarding people for being away from the fighting. 

Also, I've got some concerns about the changes to resource pools.   Malorn says, "Roughly speaking you should be able to go from empty to full resources in about 10 minutes in ideal conditions.... The goal is that if you want to do one thing like drive tanks or fly aircraft, you can do that if you save your resources for those things."  So... they want everyone to do MAX, ESF, and tanks.  If your capacity for resources is too high, we'll see never-ending zergs of high threat assets.  If you can stockpile several vehicles/assets/what-have-you worth of resources, you'll almost never run out, unless you lose your assets very, very quickly.  10 minutes is not a particularly long time, considering a well-kept sunderer or tank can last hours.  A MAX with engie and medic support can easily last 10 minutes.  I really, really hope they use a low resource cap.

On the other hand, if attacking forces don't gain resources in hostile territory, they've introduced a much, much needed attrition mechanic to slow or stop zergs and pushes.

According Malorn, ANT's will be marked on the global map.  So... they're never, ever going to make it their destination without special mechanics or broken amounts of HP.  I'm imagining squad dropping 11 Lancer or Striker heavies on a hill above it and instantly popping it.  Or a squadron of ESF all rocketing the same target at the same time.  Or just a few engineers mining chokepoints.  You get the idea.

That patch could be really good for the game.  I hope they've thought a lot about the unintended consequences of how they implement it, though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: July 23, 2013, 04:14:18 pm »

IMO, the changes to resources could be a stealth buff to aircraft, since there are few penalties for spawning at the warpgate as a pilot and their statement about nanites given being a function of power level and total number of players in a region.  People at large battles will regen nanites more slowly than people at warpgate.  That seems like a pretty bad way of implementing things; rewarding people for being away from the fighting.

I'd have though they'd learned that lesson back in beta when they still had Auraxium as a resource and there were 50+ people idling in Warpgate at all times.

On the other hand, if attacking forces don't gain resources in hostile territory, they've introduced a much, much needed attrition mechanic to slow or stop zergs and pushes.

Oooh, that'd be good!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: July 23, 2013, 04:46:52 pm »

It's not like you're getting something that has a comparison irl though, so it won't be as toxic as auraxium was.  Just a weird mechanic that encourages taking a break to let your resources regen.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: July 23, 2013, 05:00:02 pm »

Playing TR during alerts was never so much fun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not seen: 55 minutes till the end of the alert (that ended 30 minutes sooner bacause VA capped all bio labs).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: July 24, 2013, 05:19:41 am »

GU13 notes. Goes up later today, reportedly 2GB.

Mostly stuff already posted here but a couple bits that snuck in under the radar. Also a strange mix of things that went up in various past PTS updates, so worth checking the full notes to see what bits went live.

Alert experience (anti-4th faction);
Alert empire rewards are now proportional to the amount of time you participated in the alert. Only characters that participate throughout the entire duration of the alert will receive the full empire reward. This participation time is specific to individual characters (i.e. it’s not account-wide).
Infantry explosives;
All faction Frag & Sticky Grenades
    Increased inner max damage radius from 0.5 to 1.0 meters.
NC Bouncing Betty & VS Proximity Mine
    These now animate and play audio before detonating.
    Internal maximum damage radius increased from 0.5 to 2.0 meters.
    Minimum damage now drops to 200 at 6.5 meters, up from 10 at 6 meters.
    Activation time after being placed increased from 1.5 to 2.0 seconds.
TR Claymore
    Added audio when claymores trigger.
    Maximum damage increased from 1275 to 1300
    Internal maximum damage radius increased from 1.5 to 3.0 meters.
    Minimum damage is now 350 at 6.5 meters, up from 10 at 6 meters.
    Activation time after being placed increased from 1.5 to 2.0 seconds.
NC Bouncing Betty, VS Proximity Mine, TR Claymore, & all faction Tank Mines
    Throw time increased from 0.250 to 0.650 seconds.
Radar changes;
    Proximity Radar range increased from 20/30/40/50 to 30/35/40/50
    Proximity Radar now updates every ½ second instead of 2 seconds
    Proximity Radar now detects cloaked infiltrators, like the recon tool
    Proximity Radar now only detects moving players, like the recon tool
    Scout Radar now detects cloaked infiltrators, like the recon tool
    Scout Radar now only functions if the vehicle is occupied
    For the Flash version:
        Scout Radar range increased from 25/50/75/100 to 40/60/80/100
Harasser armour nerfs;
    Stock resistance to small arms fire reduced from 85% to 80%
    Composite Armor bonus reduced from 6/12/18/24 % to 5/10/15/20%