Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089501 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8580 on: November 19, 2013, 11:58:57 pm »

. . . The flashlight?

On a sniper rifle?

What?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: November 20, 2013, 01:33:56 am »

Wait, people actually use the flashlight? Why?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: November 20, 2013, 01:54:03 am »

I put a flashlight on my pistol because sometimes it's a bit hard to see at night, and sometimes people like hiding in dark corners.

The range on it is pretty terrible though.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: November 20, 2013, 05:46:47 am »

It's not that it's useful, it's that I wanted a flashlight on my rifle.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: November 20, 2013, 05:57:51 am »

Isn't flashlight basically a big "shoot here" sign? I really don't see why anyone would ever use it instead of a nightvision scope. Like seriously, I don't understand why the hell it's even in the game.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: November 20, 2013, 06:47:52 am »

It's the only option to put there for the rifle I put it on other than a grip which does nothing useful for bolt action rifles. You can toggle it off and it looks cool at night. On the infiltrator it turns itself off when you cloak then turns back on when you uncloak and I think it looks cool when I unstealth and headshot someone with it on, though usually I keep it off.

The only utilitarian reason I can think of is if it's one of those two short times when it's really dark and there are enough friendlies around that some light is useful to spot enemies without having you be the only target around, especially when fighting the dark colored VS.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:50:37 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: November 20, 2013, 07:15:27 am »

With the absolutely sick range on infi's scannin darts now, I actually can see it being (very) vaguely useful as an all purpose setup when not sniping in night-time captures. You dart-tag the enemy point, then shine a light in the general direction the team should go. It'll work just as well for pubbers as anything else (ie: not at all, but they don't use teamspeak, listen to orders or anything else, so maybe something visual will work?), and it will give you some close range team utility beyond dart-scans, pistol assassinations and hacking.

"Go to the light little moths, towards the direction of the blips on the radar. No, not towards me. No, towards the big circle of light! God dammit......"

Plus, style points. Flash-bang! Just different........
It's a game. Have fun.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: November 20, 2013, 07:25:32 am »

Hm, actually, flashlight might be kind of useful if it acted like a weak short-range flashbang, minus the bang part. Ie, if you could blind opponents with it at like <5m range for a couple of seconds.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:37 am »

Hm, actually, flashlight might be kind of useful if it acted like a weak short-range flashbang, minus the bang part. Ie, if you could blind opponents with it at like <5m range for a couple of seconds.
No. Oh, hell no. You know how stun grenades currently affect allies? Tell me SOE wouldn't do the same thing with this.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: November 20, 2013, 11:16:25 am »

Only on people using NV scopes, so you can run around and shine it in people's faces and blind them for a bit!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:05 am »

No. Oh, hell no. You know how stun grenades currently affect allies? Tell me SOE wouldn't do the same thing with this.
Anyone remember Battlefield 3 flashlights before they were toned down? yeah, no thanks.

Maybe if night actually DID something in this game (other than look generally fantastic and pretty) the flashlight would be useful. There have been suggestions for flashlights to just auto-spot everything in front of you, that would be kinda nice, I guess.

One day I want to see a FPS shooter with light mechanics where during night anything with zero light on it simply doesn't render. Put a light value on objects, the less light there is on an object the closer you need to be for it to render. Flashlights, floodlights, skylights, searchlights, muzzle flashes, scope glare, would be core mechanics of the game.

Want stealth? Flip your flashlight off and prowl around, you won't see anything in front of you, but you'll be able to see enemy flashlights.

None of this turn your contrast up and see everything crap. Every game I've seen that has done "night" has just done this "the moon is a second sun" crap. uggggghhhhhhhhhhharglebarglebalpfdshaklfewqyuiopv.

[/rant]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: November 20, 2013, 12:49:23 pm »

Flashlights, floodlights, skylights, searchlights, muzzle flashes, scope glare, would be core mechanics of the game.

When Doom 3 came out, I thought this was going to be the next big thing.  Then everybody complained about it being too dark and modded out all any effect the lighting system could have on gameplay, which is why I guess it never caught on.  I think the reaction was just because it was a Doom game, so people expected run & gun gameplay, and the lighting got in the way of that.  If a game were marketed more honestly on light management as a game mechanic, I'm sure it would do better, but publishers don't like to take that kind of chance.

I've been holding on to my own game concept that I came up with after first playing Doom 3, where you're kidnapped into a Forgotten Realms-style Underdark.  The core gameplay element would be managing light sources as a survival mechanic.  If you run out, your screen goes pure black.  No mercy.  Best you can hope for is to stumble about blindly and hope nothing eats you before you can find some glowing fungus or a friendly NPC or something.  That was back when I was still a wide-eyed 20-year-old who thought he was going to get into game development as soon as he graduated  ::).  I thought there would be a very small window of time for such a design to have any impact.  Looks like I was wrong.  I still think it would be a gripping experience, and want to make it happen someday.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: November 20, 2013, 01:44:46 pm »

Well the one year anniversary things were a disappointment, was hoping for massive sales or discounted SC

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: November 20, 2013, 01:46:27 pm »

Holy shit, dat update. The difference is like night and day. Do we have any outfits on Miller?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: November 20, 2013, 02:03:30 pm »

I'm in Dignity of War on Miller-VS, though I've recently been playing Woodman-NC more.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:19:26 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 826