Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089179 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8595 on: November 20, 2013, 02:35:23 pm »

I'm in TENC on NC Mattherson.  They're a chill bunch of guys who can serious up and cap bases.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32:31 pm »

whatones miller again? I havent played in a bit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:02 pm »

I had fun yesterday using the grenade launcher as a makeshift mortar during a meeting of TR and NC infantry zergs.
The rnage on hte grenades is suprisingly small (if you try to fire at a very high angle the shot will simply disapear before hitting the ground but around 40 degree should work unless shooting downhill).

Watching the minimap and launching instakill packages from behind a rock is both cheap and satisfying... you just have to make out how far a grenade can go on the minimap at a given angle... to be honest i just stood there blasting away at 2-3 spots where NC liked to congregate and usede a tree nearby as reference (IE 2 pixels under branch A to hit spot B and 4 pixels above branch C to his spot D).

It even worked pretty well earning me at least ten kills before some infiltrator crashed my party.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: November 20, 2013, 06:10:19 pm »

Sometimes I use the light on places that people approach from so that if they decide to peek around or run in the light everybody will be able to clearly see them. EDIT: (Accidentally hit post button). The problem as I mentioned before is the range on the FL is pretty limited which is unfortunate, as many times at the range you can see with the flashlight you could see the enemy without it anyways, unless it is really really dark.

If the light had a somewhat blinding effect I could see it being useful, but then it would also be firggen annoying.
It would also be useful if instead of thermal imaging Nightvision scopes and such would use light amplification, then shining a light at their face would blind them if they're using NV.

(Also cause of my derp everything I was going to say has already been said. Yup)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:13:57 pm by OzyTheSage »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: November 20, 2013, 09:20:32 pm »

Oh man. I got on for double exp and an alert, but got the surprise of my life. We were pushed back from Zurvan, so I pulled a HE Lightning. Pretty much the moment I arrived at the front, about two platoons worth of TR came swarming up this tiny little slope, and I had a shot directly on them, with a wall behind them. I got 18 kills in four shots, plus gods alone know how many assists, and a couple ribbons. I went from 20-ish certs to 75. That might be the best minute or so of Planetside 2 I've ever had.  XD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:05 pm »

So... What servers are you on? I woundup on US west coast due to the east coast being down when I joined.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: November 20, 2013, 09:25:53 pm »

Mattherson for my main. Two of the other east coast servers for my alts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: November 20, 2013, 09:27:59 pm »

I play as an NC on Waterson.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: November 20, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »

TR Connery.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: November 20, 2013, 09:50:43 pm »

arrg, not I have to loadup the never-closer to check what those are. Ah well.
Highly Opinionated Fool

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23:02 pm »

Bahahahahaha! I just had a run of supa sneeky ninja caps on small bases no one cared about. Capped at least three before surprise-claymore-in-your-face. Still, actually being able to run the game well enough to do that is great. Still no large battles for me though, as they still make my poor PC chug along in the four to five fps range.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: November 20, 2013, 10:34:50 pm »

How bad is it? My computer seems to be killed by internet requirements.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: November 20, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »

Oh man. I got on for double exp and an alert, but got the surprise of my life. We were pushed back from Zurvan, so I pulled a HE Lightning. Pretty much the moment I arrived at the front, about two platoons worth of TR came swarming up this tiny little slope, and I had a shot directly on them, with a wall behind them. I got 18 kills in four shots, plus gods alone know how many assists, and a couple ribbons. I went from 20-ish certs to 75. That might be the best minute or so of Planetside 2 I've ever had.  XD

HE lightning is my favorite lightning. If you can find a place where enemy infantry has to run in front of terrain or you can drop shots accurately onto the ground they are standing on you can clear out whole swarms of infantry. I put as much zoom on it as I can afford, and I use it with stealth armor, smoke, and the non-racer chassis. It's fast enough to run away backwards from infantry or to cover if you are careful, unlike the Vanguard, so I don't iuse proximity radar on it like I do with the Vanguard.

Skyguard is also good out of the Lightning guns I have. I only put limited zoom on it as more zoom will slow your tracking speed and viewing area compared to target to the point I find it less usefull with the amount of lead you need at the range zoom would be helpful for. Obviously it's a beast against aircraft, but if you can sneak to point blank range against armor it does a surprising amount of damage. It's very satisfactory to drive directly under a magrider and unload magazines into it's soft belly for as long as you can stay lodged there. It's probably not as good for that as AP or even HEAT, but it's much faster than with HE.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: November 20, 2013, 11:59:05 pm »

Skyguard is also good out of the Lightning guns I have. I only put limited zoom on it as more zoom will slow your tracking speed and viewing area compared to target to the point I find it less usefull with the amount of lead you need at the range zoom would be helpful for.
I love skyguard, partly because I like support roles in games. A single skyguard can pretty much lock down an entire base from air attack.
As for optics, sometimes I wish that they had a 'fish eye' optic that gives you better peripheral vision. Would make finding threats a little easier since you could see more of the sky at a time. Only problem is there's no guarantee that there will be enemy air and during times there is none you're pretty much sitting around waiting for everyone else to do the work. It's only really effective against infantry at closer ranges and I've not tried it on ground ehicles because it's probably better to just hide from them and let dedicated AT deal with them.

Also I've been seeing people mention how harassers are overpowered. I was gunning in one the other day and I realized just what makes them overpowered and how to make them more reasonable with a single change. Remove gyroscopic correction for the turret. Lighting does not posess aiming correction, yet the harasser does. It allows it to stay on target even while moving at high speeds and over all sorts of terrain, but if you remove that then it will become highly inaccurate while spinning all over the place and going over bumps.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: November 21, 2013, 12:13:47 am »

Bahahahahaha! I just had a run of supa sneeky ninja caps on small bases no one cared about. Capped at least three before surprise-claymore-in-your-face. Still, actually being able to run the game well enough to do that is great. Still no large battles for me though, as they still make my poor PC chug along in the four to five fps range.

I do this when VS has 40-50% global population late nights and 60% on alert continents. Yesterday some VS lolpodder killed me after surprising me after I landed and jumped out of my reaver while I was doing it, then sent me a tell asking if I enjoyed ghost capping. I ignored that, and he sent another tell calling me 'yet another terrible NC player.' I had to respond then, because he had just killed me while I was an infantry with rocket pods while his arguably currently relatively easy mode realm is at 60% population on the alert continent that I was avoiding. Then he claimed that TR and NC both pick on VS, and I checked the Amerish map (where the alert was) and the only fighting was VS invading TR and NC territories, and NC and TR fighting each other. Right after I typed that info to him some NC started ghost capping Splitspeak, but I wouldn't really call that fighting, just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Zoe max is still too strong. I think it should either be split into movement speed and damage output, or it should be a little easier to kill than it is now with bullets. I can't count the number of times I've been on a point and a zoe max runs in, and as quick as it takes to say pow pow pow you are down and he's turning to the next victim and ends up clearing a whole room of NC firing and desperately throwing explosives at him while being mowed down by the super strafing juggernaut.

Also I've been seeing people mention how harassers are overpowered. I was gunning in one the other day and I realized just what makes them overpowered and how to make them more reasonable with a single change. Remove gyroscopic correction for the turret. Lighting does not posess aiming correction, yet the harasser does. It allows it to stay on target even while moving at high speeds and over all sorts of terrain, but if you remove that then it will become highly inaccurate while spinning all over the place and going over bumps.

I'd rather they added Gyroscopic correction to other vehicles instead. My change would be to totally either totally remove 3rd seat repairs (should be easy from my unkowledgable laymans point of view) or keep from switching from F1 and F2 to F3 without jumping out first. If that wasn't enough like I'd guess, I'd make it take splash damage (I think the flash takes splash). I hate missing by inches with my HE lightning and have it not even scratch the harasser with the giant explosion animation a foot away, though if the gunner is in the 3rd seat it will hurt them. If that still wasn't enough, I'd make it less resistant to damage from small arms and give a new armor option that only resists that type of damage. I think composite covers tank rounds and such as well as bullets though I could be wrong.

One thing I absolutely despise about the harasser is that friendlies WILL NOT let you ride in the rear seat because it needs to be free for their engy gunner to switch to. I'd really like to be able to hop in the backseat with a heavy assault using a lockon launcher, or a fat suit using bursters or ravens if I ever obtain a pair of either.

I've noticed is the flash is much more survivable in this patch. It may be my imagination, but I think it's hill climbing has been improved. I climbed a fairly steep hill at a decent speed the other day, using turbo to go over a few very steep spots. I can turbo safely into altitudes normaly reserved for aircraft as well. The one exception is if you land on a building. Yesterday I was ghost capping and fell about 10 feet onto a piece of 'building' terrain, it might have been piping, and my flash exploded. It might have something to do with not landing cleanly on the wheels, from what I could see I landed at an angle with the nose of the flash pointing at the ground and with momentum driving me directly into the pipe. I think I also exploded another time when landing at an angle on flat ground, but it might have been a fluke. I think I landed on the rear foot rest for the rear seat.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:26:18 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 826