Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084944 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9255 on: January 17, 2014, 10:33:11 am »

Is it me or does this game involve waiting half the time for territories to actually capture while the actual opposition has long been beaten?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: January 17, 2014, 11:14:51 am »

Is it me or does this game involve waiting half the time for territories to actually capture while the actual opposition has long been beaten?
Yes. I think the basic idea is that your opposition has time to prepare to defend the next base.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:47 am »

If you don't care about cap XP (which is the case if you are good at killing folks, typically :P) then you can always "Instant Action" to some action - they fixed it pretty well a bit ago.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: January 17, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »

Yes. I think the basic idea is that your opposition has time to prepare to defend the next base.
Also it gives time for a sudden assault to retake the base. I've seen caps stop at like 3 seconds remaining and turn around to a full recapture. The game needs some way to tell whether you've totally overcome the enemy forces. If it were based on ratio of how many people are there, it would be easy for a zerg to plow through insta-capping. Which would be even worse than it is now ...
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: January 17, 2014, 12:47:52 pm »

Ok so since they made tomcats useless by making you have to CONSTANTLY aim them at the target because they will perform harakiri... at this point it would be nice if you could dumbfire them but nope.
Totally useless unless you either chase a runner or stay far

Oh and the coyote missiles are just hilarious.
It's hard to miss with them but you need 3-4 relaods to kill a ESF... basically same as the tomcats of old but the enemy gets no lockon warning... basically they nerfed tomcats to replace them with a more expensive missile launcher.

Personally i started buying the (pretty cheap) Fuel tank upgrades and zip around with the banshee killing infantry because my secondary (tomcats) went straight to hell.
Maybe i will buy coyotes one day but i thin i'll wait a month or two to see if it gets nerfed to the ground.

Oh and i really got to like the TR minichaingun when pew pewing at ESFs... it scored me many assists and even some kills thanks to its suprising accuracy and RoF.
Not bad for a HA gun thats supposed to kill infantry.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:56:31 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: January 17, 2014, 12:55:54 pm »

Don't bother with coyotes, they are hilariously bad, 100 dmg per missile with six missiles a volley (grand total 600!), they are about as useful as 3 m20 mustang shots (at max range) and harder to land. They are slow and ESFs are fast, and the auto-lock range is really damn small.

Hornets on the other hand, are still retardedly good. So there's that.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: January 17, 2014, 12:59:45 pm »

Don't bother with coyotes, they are hilariously bad, 100 dmg per missile with six missiles a volley (grand total 600!), they are about as useful as 3 m20 mustang shots (at max range) and harder to land. They are slow and ESFs are fast, and the auto-lock range is really damn small.

Hornets on the other hand, are still retardedly good. So there's that.

Well i only tested coyotes in VR. they seem to have the lockon range similar to flak proximity fuses.
From what i hear hornets have a much worse DPS compared to regulat ESF dumbfires unless you miss over 50% of your shots with dumbfires.
Self promotion below.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: January 17, 2014, 01:12:57 pm »

Hornets have worse DPS compared to regular ESF dumbfires.
[/quote]

Right, dumbfires do have a higher DPS. But that's not exactly a fair comparison, considering all the benefits of hornets.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:18 pm »

Ignore this.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:33:03 pm by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: January 17, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »

Hornets have worse DPS compared to regular ESF dumbfires.
Right, dumbfires do have a higher DPS. But that's not exactly a fair comparison, considering all the benefits of hornets.

Yeah but you have to lead hornets like a AV turret missile so if you want to use them you need to stay put.
And staying put in a ESF = getting buttsexed by flak, G2A launchers and even tank cannons.
Oh and they can be shot out of the air.
Basically Hornets are horrible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:33:10 pm by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: January 17, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »

I get a retarded number of vanguard AP kills because of ESF's doing a rocket pod strafe, where you have to continue looking at the target, while moving forward...

Second, you can move around while using the hornets, its not hard to hover right or left while aiming at a target.

Third, using any air to ground weapon is going to get you buttsexed by flak, you become a priority to the flak units due to being an actual threat to them.

Fourth, I did not know that, I fully expect them to get shot out of the air about as often as pheonix missiles are, never, or by accident.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: January 17, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »

You can avoid getting hit by a tank cannon (at least from the one you're gunning for) by attacking from a high angle beyond his gun elevation.

If you can keep your crosshair on the target while strafing with hornets then surely you can do it with rocketpods.

At least with rocket pods you can come in fire a salvo and get out while with hrnets you have to manually guide the SLOW missiles all the way to their destination or they go wherever.
So for example if you started an attack run on a tank with pods and fire off 6 rockets before a FlakMAX notices you and starts pounding with flakguns you can brake off and AB out of there with some of your rockets hitting while hornets will just go "hey wait for us" and hit they ground trying to go wherever you're currently pointing at.
Self promotion below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: January 17, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

You can avoid getting hit by a tank cannon (at least from the one you're gunning for) by attacking from a high angle beyond his gun elevation.
This. If you aren't derping, you come in from the direction opposite wherever their turret is bearing, or barring that from directly above. If doing either of that would get you shot up by AA, you're picking bad targets to begin with. The key is: If you take AA fire when approaching an area, fuck off and kill someone somewhere else. Unless it's just one dude with a lock-on launcher, in which case pop your flares and murder him.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: January 17, 2014, 09:16:53 pm »

Idk I'm having more success killing tanks with the hornet, and its really really easy to kill infantry with them.

I've just discovered they have a 400m range limit, where they despawn like the pheonix, basically limiting their usefulness to being just a different version of what rocket parts are.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: January 18, 2014, 05:44:07 am »

Yeah their range is far to short to be useful.

I tried to attack a sundy by setting my self up just outside of lock on range only to see my missiles explode three bus lengths before impact.
Meanwhile I was still getting pinged to death by the sundy's guns
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 826