Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089691 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9915 on: March 28, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »

But on low or high settings the scope is very usable.

Just the medium settings I'd prefer to play on because my computer isn't beefy enough for high but capable enough of rendering the cloaker effect

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: March 28, 2014, 10:58:31 pm »

Well, this patch ruined my FPS for me. I'm hovering at 24 fps in big fights where before I had 40 and it's basically unplayable. I can't line up shots for crap.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: March 28, 2014, 11:07:39 pm »

The faster patches is good in theory, but (from the limited sample size) it has murdered their QA.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: March 28, 2014, 11:16:26 pm »

I even bought membership for the 1 SC sales and bought a 6 month heroic boost when it was on sale and it's members only double xp weekend and everything.

I only raked in 250 certs in an hour and forty minutes!

What a terrible, terrible night!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: March 29, 2014, 07:23:22 pm »

I've gotten a little less terrible, but still sticking with my TR medic when I can help it. I've held off buying any weapons (mostly grabbing the cheap 1/10 cert upgrades and maxing out the med tool), but I'm thinking of trying another out. I've been using the T1 Cycler, and while I do enjoy the pretty decent accuracy, the raw damage output feels pretty disappointing. It certainly gets the job done if you've started firing before your opponent, but in straight shootouts I tend to lose out.

So I can either stick with the T1 Cycler, swap to the Cycler TRV, or buy a TAR. I've read some older posts groovestar praise saying the TAR is pretty good; is this still the case?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:27:25 pm by Rex_Nex »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: March 29, 2014, 07:54:31 pm »

The TAR got nerfed in December. It's good, but not quite as good as it used to be. In particular they nerfed the hipfire and increased its recoil. It has limited use outside of spraying people down with hipfire.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:58:59 pm by Jim Groovester »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: March 29, 2014, 08:10:19 pm »

It certainly gets the job done if you've started firing before your opponent, but in straight shootouts I tend to lose out.
True of the vast majority of weapons in the game until you have a lot of experience. It's less the damage output and more learning how to get it onto the target. TR weapons are considerably easier to manage this, but experienced players will still have an edge just by handling their weapons a bit better.

Go to the VR and practice bursts and quickbursts on the dummies. You should learn the patterns that most quickly drop targets at different ranges. Then start trying to work this into your main gameplay alongside positional and situational skills. The first goal should always be to avoid those 50/50 situations, but to maximise your chances when you do get into them.

As for weapon, on my NC main I run the GR-22, roughly analogous to the TRV, but this mostly about playstyle. I have two rough medic styles; full support and full rambo.

Full support means a mid range gun (I just use the default NC AR, although the S type for smoke and 200 damage options may be better in many cases) that has a reasonable impact out to longer range, with either a 2x reflex or NV scope. NV only when I'm expecting smoke or know the ranges will be limited enough. I don't actually like zooms over 2x except in very limited situations. Add on foregrip/compensator to allow for more sustained ADS suppression fire if you feel the need. I always run grenade bandoleer with revive grenades. Priorities are staying with allies, reviving and healing with AOE, providing covering fire from range and trying to keep fallback positions secure. Avoid getting shot at and keep reviving people as your first and second priorities respectively. If you know there are plenty of other medics around then reverse those priorities or switch to rambo mode. Works best in large population fights with well defined front lines and chokes.

Full rambo means either a CQ suited AR with relevant attachments (GR-22 with advanced laser sight for me) or a SMG. Silencer is a strong advantage, but better on the SMGs than ARs. Advanced shield capacitor combined with max level AOE/self heal. I tend to use frag grenades with this as I'm not expecting group revives. Goal here is to rush into forwards positions and then pick one-on-one fights using superior positioning to gain fractional advantages, healing to full between each engagement so that any edge is enough of an edge. Never stop moving, always be the aggressor (NB), never engage multiple targets if you can help it. Try to revive any allies you come across and let them act as distractions while you keep killing. This works best in lower population fights or larger bases where the battle lines have lots of holes in them. Once population increases and things get bogged down switch to full support or at least load up your revive grenades.

That second setup also works nicely with nanoweave. Nanoweave + AOE heal will turn a lot of 50/50 engagements where you can't find an edge in your favour. If you always have 10 quiet seconds between engagements you can still be back up to full health. I just generally prefer the reduced regen time of ASC and running your heal while being shot will give you effective nanoweave (eg, survive one more round) against many weapons anyway. With ASC I rarely need to try to hide to regen, which is generally death against a decent opponent.

I prefer the AR on this setup over the SMG for the same reason I never use shotguns; longer optimum range. While the SMG or shotgun may have a slightly better TTK, you rarely need it if you managed to get the drop and it rarely matters if you didn't. You might take a couple extra stray bullets now and then, but you have regen for this and are less likely to lose the advantage due to poor positioning or engaging from slightly beyond your effective kill range.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9922 on: March 31, 2014, 01:30:15 am »

ptw~

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:05 am »

I've barely used the new Duster Liberator gun. I tried it once in VR training. Common discourse suggests that it's a terrible weapon, outclassed by the Zephyr every way and I would be inclined to agree.

In my opinion it would be a neat weapon if it had a very large splash radius compared to now, or it if it had an extremely large magazine (I'm thinking like 100 rounds or so) with the current attributes. If the splash radius is increased it would probably have to do less splash damage in order to sand paper health away. It would probably be an assist machine.

Alternatively it would be cool if it's explosions functioned like Concussion grenade effects, however I'm unsure if that would make it useful enough or not to be chosen over the killing power of the Zephyr. If it did the concussion effect but no damage through buildings and terrain it would be better than the Zephyr for clearing out infantry holding a building but I can only imagine how terribly annoying it could be to be in that building (or even attacking that building.) That said it might be nice to have an alternative to sending in an infantry swarm to overwhelm infantry in a building. The closest thing available now is HE cannon spam into doors and windows while trying not to splash your friendly infantry.

Sort of related: I hope there is destructible terrain, or at least buildings, in PS2 eventually if Everquest Next is successful in that matter because it would make something like the Duster a bit cooler.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:17:37 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9924 on: March 31, 2014, 06:08:15 am »

I used to think that MAXes were impossible to kill with a sniper rifle, but recently discovered that headshots deal a lot of damage to them--sometimes enough to snag a kill:D

Some MAXes stay really still while shooting, so those are easy pickings.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: March 31, 2014, 06:15:17 am »

I've fallen in love with my Longshot all over again. You haven't camped a spawn room until you've camped it from atop your squad's sunderer.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: March 31, 2014, 06:27:43 am »

Hey guys, in this post is a really great video that explains why the Flash is my favorite vehicle in PS2.

One thing they forgot to do is to jump off the big ramp like rim of the crater base on Indar, you fly for a good ten seconds before exploding at the bottom.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/pushing-the-flash-to-breaking-point.180558/

I really wish they would design the flash to be more capable of withstanding this kind of stuff as it explodes way too often for it to be as fun as it should be.

Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3-lV4RHdQ

EDIT: About the Longshot, I still haven't used any long range bolt actions except the Bolt driver. I was going to switch to the Railjack before they made it mediocre and not a shotgun.

I prefer the Sasser rifle for bolt actions.

EDIT2: People were comparing things in PS2 to D&D dice rolls, like the Gauss SAW rolls a 6 and the COF causes your bullets to spray wildly while you move.

I'd like to think I made an appropriate remark by saying "Flash rolls a 19 and explodes."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:21:24 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9927 on: March 31, 2014, 06:45:59 am »

Wait, is everyone here NC? >_>

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: March 31, 2014, 06:48:38 am »

Wait, is everyone here NC? >_>
Mostly yes. B12 likes to play the gimped faction.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9929 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:33 am »

Rebel scum >:I >:I
(I play TR on Briggs :P)

I've been countersniped by many a Longshot =_= Briggs always has a lot of NC, some TR, and few VS.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:21:55 am by Skyrunner »

Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 826